Recruiting has taken a hit | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting has taken a hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse#1

Starter
Recruiting seems to be a problem and gradually has been getting worse just the last couple of years. It seems to me that definitely Hopkins leaving had an effect on that. you know Jim boeheim is getting older and who knows if he is putting his all in recruiting I don't really believe that but I'm not there so who knows. I think it's more the assistant coaches, we just don't have a Troy Weaver type that was really good at getting those elite guys, I mean just a few years ago we were getting the one and dones just about every year and now we can barely get a top 100 player. don't get me wrong we're still getting good players but it's just we're not getting nowhere near the quality we were getting just a few years ago. In the offseason I think we need to address that. either let one of these guys go and get like I said a troy Weaver assistant coach that is known for his recruiting prowess because I got to be honest these guys we got now I'm not sure which one is the weak Link in the chain but just not getting it done. I mean the only thing that is working against us getting big time talent is the weather, everything else are all a plus! we got the facilities, we got the potential for big Time crowds, we got a Hall of Fame coach and play in one of or the best conference in America. I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this so I'm wondering what other people's take on the recruiting or lack thereof ? thank you.

Yeah I've seen it around a little bit but good maybe something will get done the more people talk about it

I mean I get it. I want better recruits too. But we have been to two final 4's this decade and sweet 16 last year. So I could argue recruiting is just fine

I mean I get it. I want better recruits too. But we have been to two final 4's this decade and sweet 16 last year. So I could argue recruiting is just fine
And a top ten player who signed for this season and then decided to sit out a year.

Recruiting seems to be a problem and gradually has been getting worse just the last couple of years. It seems to me that definitely Hopkins leaving had an effect on that. you know Jim boeheim is getting older and who knows if he is putting his all in recruiting I don't really believe that but I'm not there so who knows. I think it's more the assistant coaches, we just don't have a Troy Weaver type that was really good at getting those elite guys, I mean just a few years ago we were getting the one and dones just about every year and now we can barely get a top 100 player. don't get me wrong we're still getting good players but it's just we're not getting nowhere near the quality we were getting just a few years ago. In the offseason I think we need to address that. either let one of these guys go and get like I said a troy Weaver assistant coach that is known for his recruiting prowess because I got to be honest these guys we got now I'm not sure which one is the weak Link in the chain but just not getting it done. I mean the only thing that is working against us getting big time talent is the weather, everything else are all a plus! we got the facilities, we got the potential for big Time crowds, we got a Hall of Fame coach and play in one of or the best conference in America. I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this so I'm wondering what other people's take on the recruiting or lack thereof ? thank you.
Both Quincy G and Brycen Goodine are top 100 guys. Most feel they’re underrated. Quincy really is a top 50 guy. Oregon and Illinois and lots of others wanted him. He was a scoring machine on the UA AAU circuit last summer.

Well let's be honest here from those final fours and a sweet 16 we still had a few very talented holdovers from those years we were getting very good players. if we keep going the way we're going you know we might be looking forward to the NIT almost every single year

Why would how long I've been here have anything to do with it?

Toborrow and toburrow and tobarrow! That's our crass, hairy and ever-
grim life, till one finel howdiedow Bouncer Naster raps on the
bell with a bone and his stinkers stank behind him with the
sceptre and the hourglass. We may come, touch and go, from
atoms and ifs but we're presurely destined to be odd's without
ends.

Well let's be honest here from those final fours and a sweet 16 we still had a few very talented holdovers from those years we were getting very good players. if we keep going the way we're going you know we might be looking forward to the NIT almost every single year
Are you trying to be funny?

273A324B-BC58-49F4-B5A0-302DAE08E049.gif

Are you trying to be funny?
Absolutely not. It's a pretty simple and clear statement and question when I started this thread. Obviously I'm not the only one who's having the same concerns I'm having when it comes to recruiting. Like I said before yes we are still getting good players some top 100 players but lower-end top 100 players and I think the recruiting has taken a dip. now we'll see how these players turn out after they get here I hope I'm wrong right now I think they could do better

We havent been in the Wahab sweeptakes for a while. We’ll be fine!!! We will grab someone in the spring/summer and be just fine next year. Everyone realllllllly needs to relax

We havent been in the Wahab sweeptakes for a while. We’ll be fine!!! We will grab someone in the spring/summer and be just fine next year. Everyone realllllllly needs to relax
Wahab isn't in the top 100 in two different recruiting top 100 I just looked at

We are getting the same quality of kids that we have always got for the most part.
Have to disagree here... for a few years we were getting top 50 kids. Fab and Rak we’re both elite, scoop was top 30, Rick was top 50, Flynn and Harris were elite, Devo was elit, even Cooney had decent rankings. We have slipped one rung down.

Absolutely not. It's a pretty simple and clear statement and question when I started this thread. Obviously I'm not the only one who's having the same concerns I'm having when it comes to recruiting. Like I said before yes we are still getting good players some top 100 players but lower-end top 100 players and I think the recruiting has taken a dip. now we'll see how these players turn out after they get here I hope I'm wrong right now I think they could do better
Yeah but NIT? How is NJ high school player of the year and Canadian player of the year falling off in recruiting? See their offers. We will be fine and reload, and make deep runs. I guarantee we keep landing great players. History repeats itself. Just like with Jalen Carey, you know the player that had offers from Villanova, Kansas, Arizona, Indiana and picked Cuse!

Both Quincy G and Brycen Goodine are top 100 guys. Most feel they’re underrated. Quincy really is a top 50 guy. Oregon and Illinois and lots of others wanted him. He was a scoring machine on the UA AAU circuit last summer.
We used to get top 40 guys with occasional top 20 guys. Now we're supposed to feel good because we're getting a couple guys in the 70-90 range and a couple of other 3 stars that barely make the top 200? I'd say recruiting has slipped.

Have to disagree here... for a few years we were getting top 50 kids. Fab and Rak we’re both elite, scoop was top 30, Rick was top 50, Flynn and Harris were elite, Devo was elit, even Cooney had decent rankings. We have slipped one rung down.
I'd definitely agree. That said, a lot of our best players over the years have not been the super highly ranked ones. But we've definitely had some misses recently that have really hurt us--specifically at the Center and point guard position.

2 4 7 keeps history on this.

Scoop was outside the top 50 and so was Jackson. Cooney wasn’t even top 100.

I’ll give you Rank, but those other guys we didn’t really win a lot of regular season games with.

Arinze
Rautins
Triche
Jackson
Scoop
Wes before he came to cuse
Kris Joseph

The guys above all ranked below or near where everyone we are recruiting now is ranked. People need to stop throwing around things that aren’t true. It’s not nearly as bad as people think.

We used to get top 40 guys with occasional top 20 guys. Now we're supposed to feel good because we're getting a couple guys in the 70-90 range and a couple of other 3 stars that barely make the top 200? I'd say recruiting has slipped.

Guerrier is ranked in the top 50 in the places he’s actually ranked because he played in Canada. I don’t know why Goodine is 93, but he’s better than that. All I know is I trust my eyes more than some dumb scouting service.

Buddy wasn’t even in the top 200 and look how that’s working out.

Eh, in 2007, we got the #3 PF, Donte Green, the #5 PG Jonny Flynn, the #17 SG Scoop, and the #
2 4 7 keeps history on this.

Scoop was outside the top 50 and so was Jackson. Cooney wasn’t even top 100.

I’ll give you Rank, but those other guys we didn’t really win a lot of regular season games with.

Arinze
Rautins
Triche
Jackson
Scoop
Wes before he came to cuse
Kris Joseph

The guys above all ranked below or near where everyone we are recruiting now is ranked. People need to stop throwing around things that aren’t true. It’s not nearly as bad as people think.

I agree, although to be fair, Joseph, Scoop and Jackson were all top 50 depending on the recruiting service we used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom