Recruiting higher rated kids. | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting higher rated kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds logical. But if that is indeed the case, why are 4 MAC and all but 1 ACC teams sitting with better recruits than us?

I think its about coaches closing the deal. Lovie Smith went to Illinois and look at the recruits he won. Herm Edwards went to AZST look at his recruits. Mack goes back to NC look at his recruits. So it would seem to me kids choose for two basic reasons. 1 the school/ program or 2 the coach. Again look at those three examples going to programs that weren't good. I just dont get why HCDB cant close a couple high end guys. We got lucky with Trill last year but i really really really thought we would take a huge leap forward this year. But maybe Bnoro is correct and we will get 3 or 4 4 stars after the dead period and keep pace with the other top of the ACC pack. I hope we do.
My money's on your post not aging well as the season unfolds.

If you're referring to "prescience", I assume it was a typo because it wasn't used correctly.
It was a typo lol. I didn’t realize it as I was shotgunning a response on my phone.

Is it me or the current rankings. The funny thing is you probably blindly think our recruiting class is a top 40 one as it is currently constituted at this moment and that 4 MAC teams aren't rated higher based on the offers from recruits.
No, I just objectively look at our recruits and recognize that we're getting quality. Conversely, you blindly look only at rivals ratings and clearly demonstrate zer.o contextual analysis and conclude that a MAC school is out recruiting us.

As stated above, I don't think your position is going to age well, and I look forward to the coaching staff proving you wrong..

Recruiting is absolutely 100% the last thing we need to worry about with his head coach, and his high-performing staff.

That sounds logical. But if that is indeed the case, why are 4 MAC and all but 1 ACC teams sitting with better recruits than us?

I think its about coaches closing the deal. Lovie Smith went to Illinois and look at the recruits he won. Herm Edwards went to AZST look at his recruits. Mack goes back to NC look at his recruits. So it would seem to me kids choose for two basic reasons. 1 the school/ program or 2 the coach. Again look at those three examples going to programs that weren't good. I just dont get why HCDB cant close a couple high end guys. We got lucky with Trill last year but i really really really thought we would take a huge leap forward this year. But maybe Bnoro is correct and we will get 3 or 4 4 stars after the dead period and keep pace with the other top of the ACC pack. I hope we do.
Using lovie smith defeats your premise they are terrible, and he will be gone if he were anywhere else.

We can be a top 25 squad year in, year out with the types of recruits Dino is pulling in right now. After the Top 10 or so recruiting classes, it’s really just a crap shoot with emphasis on fit and development.

That being said, if we want to become a Top 10 caliber team more than once in a while, we either need to constantly hit on our QB recruits or start recruiting better.

Imagine if we brought in 3-4, 4 stars per cycle. Since those guys have a higher chance at hitting, let’s say 1 per cycle becomes a stud.

That’s the difference in consistently having at least 4 Alton Robinson type talents out there.

Imagine rolling into every year with a stud like that at say DE, DT, RB and WR?... That in addition to the 3 star guys Dino and Staff develop...

That’s where stars matter.

Last edited:
I agree Lewis was a great recruiter and we miss him. I think your statement about Kirk Martin is not quite the same thoughts I personally have. I think it was a low risk hire, to a coach who was a successful coach in HS down in Texas. We now have Texas players on our roster partly because of kirks presence. I think this hire was fine. If we can grab a few kids a year from his connections then that justifies this hire IMO. On top of that the man has a very high character, which can only help the team. Just my 2 cents.
We will never be successful in texas or Oklahoma.

Thanks for the reply Randon guy. So are you saying that high end recruits wont consider Syracuse because we might be a fluke, or are coaches cant close high end players because they are used to getting MAC players?
Love your enthusiasm, Joe. I'm saying neither. I dont think its as cut and dry as that.

We ARE battling 20 years, of mostly subpar performance. I blame part of that on the demise of the big east, Grob etc... Perceptions take time to change.

We are NOT recruiting MAC guys. Has an elite 11 ever gone MAC?

Recruits value different things. A whole bunch want the household name, and sure thing. We're not back to that, YET. A smaller group values leadership, above all. Think Devito, Qadir, our closing class , and many more... I think we're doing well with those types of recruits. Thats something that'll never translate into the rankings, but will yield results.

Besides our higher ranked Babers players..
lets look at Bryce Gowdy. When he finally had a chance to meet all the coaches, players, etc? He said the experience was eye opening. It doesnt mean he'll commit. What it does mean, is that when those "big fish" take the time? We have quite a bit more to offer than they ever realized.

For the glitz guys? They may want more of the immediate attention. They may want the cache(regardless of record). For those that value more than that? We can make an impact. We"re not the same old Syracuse.

It will take time to get back to our 2 decades, of high rankings, and undefeated seasons, and wash off the bad. Thats the process. I dont blame them, if they need to see us prove it again.

For recruits with eyes? We can open them now.

Last edited:
We will never be successful in texas or Oklahoma.
Well no, of course not. But last cycle or two ago we got tre Allison and chance amie. Both with a solid offer list, so like I said if we can get a few guys like that every year because of Kirk then I’m happy. Also we had Dorian hewitt from Texas and he got snatched from us to go to USC.

It’s natural to look around and compare our recruiting in the middle of the summer and shrug.

But I trust this staff. They get what they need, know what they have, and get results. A great class would speed up the process - but they’ve not given us reason to doubt them.

Take this for what it's worth but I found it very interesting... Got to play golf with someone who is close to the Program and close to Dino and apparently a "rule" Dino has and has had since he got here is if a recruit tells the staff and SU they are not Interested and then tries to come back to communicate with the staff, Dino is not allowing that prospect back in the fold... Basically "if we aren't good enough for you when we offer you, don't come back when the big big boys don't offer you" ...
Word is this has occurred NUMEROUS times this recruiting cycle and Dino is sticking to his guns... Speaks a lot about his integrity and vision for program of the program...

Take this for what it's worth but I found it very interesting... Got to play golf with someone who is close to the Program and close to Dino and apparently a "rule" Dino has and has had since he got here is if a recruit tells the staff and SU they are not Interested and then tries to come back to communicate with the staff, Dino is not allowing that prospect back in the fold... Basically "if we aren't good enough for you when we offer you, don't come back when the big big boys don't offer you" ...
Word is this has occurred NUMEROUS times this recruiting cycle and Dino is sticking to his guns... Speaks a lot about his integrity and vision for program of the program...
Sounds like his message is "We ARE the big boys."

interesting, thanks for sharing

With our 11 commitment for 2020 in the books, it seems as though we are settling for all 3 stars vs waiting on some 4 stars. I would have expected the 2020 class to be better considering our solid year last year and all the buzz for this upcoming season. Would you guys agree that it’s been somewhat of a let down?

I know. Everyone here would prefer an objectively higher rated class, but we’ll just have to see how things develop. I am very hopeful. They’re big boys. They know what they’re doing now.

Last edited:
Didn’t we all jump to conclusions last year too. Look at 3 star Andre Cisco and Andre Szmyt (sp?) and tell me all the big schools wouldn’t want them now. HCDB and staff know what they are doing. If something falls through, they already have a plan b,c and d lined up.

I just thought with how well our offense has been that we would attract at least 4 star WRs especially with devito having at least 2 more years in this system.

Can we please put a pinned thread about our class and how to look at more then just the ratings? These players are ones the coaches have watched at camp and like. That’s good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom