Recruiting higher rated kids. | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting higher rated kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lewis was by all accounts a good recruiter. Not sure about the Father In law which in my opinion is the only questionable decision Dino has made.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. Howard was a universal 5-star recruit, he was supposed to be it. are you disputing the fact that he was an elite recruit, regardless of how his career turned out?
I just don’t remember him being so highly regarded. After Vick I just don’t remember us even sniffing a 4 or 5-star qb. Can someone find a link to Howard’s recruitment?

I just don’t remember him being so highly regarded. After Vick I just don’t remember us even sniffing a 4 or 5-star qb. Can someone find a link to Howard’s recruitment?

Quick link -- scroll down to the bottom of this page, which shows our highest rated all-time recruits. Check out Cecil Howard's rating -- he's the highest rated recruit we ever landed, per this service:

Syracuse 2018 Football Commits

Lewis was by all accounts a good recruiter. Not sure about the Father In law which in my opinion is the only questionable decision Dino has made.
I agree Lewis was a great recruiter and we miss him. I think your statement about Kirk Martin is not quite the same thoughts I personally have. I think it was a low risk hire, to a coach who was a successful coach in HS down in Texas. We now have Texas players on our roster partly because of kirks presence. I think this hire was fine. If we can grab a few kids a year from his connections then that justifies this hire IMO. On top of that the man has a very high character, which can only help the team. Just my 2 cents.

I don’t know why people think one ten win season puts us ahead of all the other ACC teams that have made 4-5 bowls in the last 5 years. Take the orange colored glasses off and realize that we need consistent bowl prescience to get the “blue-chip” players and that the players we get, while they may not have the offer list, have the size and speed needed to compete and combined with our S&C will compete with those “higher rated” recruits

I don’t know why people think one ten win season puts us ahead of all the other ACC teams that have made 4-5 bowls in the last 5 years. Take the orange colored glasses off and realize that we need consistent bowl prescience to get the “blue-chip” players and that the players we get, while they may not have the offer list, have the size and speed needed to compete and combined with our S&C will compete with those “higher rated” recruits
Damn it. You made me look up a word. I liked your post because you expanded my vocabulary.

Lots of good points in this thread. I think SU's recruiting has been improved under Babers and in some cases/areas significantly improved. As FloridaFan pointed out its going to take more then one 10 win season to get us anywhere close to top 25-30 type classes. I think most of us expected an uptick after last year and how good we did closing out last years class. So far its been a bit of a mixed bag but SU has always started out slow, got a bunch of guys in mid June and then in August got another haul. From a standpoint of being concerned there are a few issues. The continued problem of not getting our top 2 QB targets for the second year in a row. Also the fact that Pitt seems to really be having an outstanding class so far while were treading water a bit. Still very early and the last few commits have had the type of other offers that you really look for. I think another strong season will really help us finish strong again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like your post and agree with you. The question i have always had is why is it every other team in the ACC can get 4 star and higher rated players and classes than Syracuse? To make this sentiment PC for this page I will say the other ACC teams are consistently getting players with much much much better offers. Even after our upset of Clemson 2 years ago and great year last year the likes of NC, NCST, Louisville, GT and even UVA and Duke are getting better players by every single metric including and perhaps MOST IMPORTANTLY QUALITY OFFERS!!!! It seems our coaches are still getting commits from MAC type players, while the other ACC teams are fighting for Power 5 players.
Just look at the offers for our recruits. Below

Robert Hanna - S (Verbal)
Miami, FL - Palmetto HS
2-4-7 Rating at Commit Date *** 6/22/19; Current Rating 6/22/19 ***
Major (10)- SU, BC, Louisville, Miami, Maryland, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Washington St.
Mid Major (8) - Bowling Green, FAU, Liberty, Southern Miss, UAB, UCF, USF, Western Kentucky
Class of 2020 - S Robert Hanna (FL) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (6/22/19)

Charles Bell IV - DB (Verbal)
Gaithersburg, MD - Quince Orchard HS
2-4-7 Rating at Commit Date *** 6/22/19; Current Rating 6/22/19 ***
Major (6)- SU, BC, Maryland, Nebraska, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
Mid Major (5) - East Carolina, Liberty, Temple, Toledo, UMASS
Class of 2020 - DB Charles Bell IV (MD) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (6/22/19)

Justin Barron - ATH
(Verbal)
Suffield, CT - Suffield Academy
2-4-7 Rating at Commit Date *** 6/16/19; Current Rating 6/16/19 ***
Major (5)- SU, BC, Pitt, Rutgers, Virgina
Mid Major (6) - Air Force, FIU, Navy, Southern Miss, UCONN
Class of 2020 - ATH Justin Barron (CT) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (6/16/19)

Leon Lowery - DE (Verbal)

North Brunswick, NJ - North Brunswick HS
2-4-7 Rating at Commit Date *** 6/16/19; Current Rating 6/16/19 ***
Major (4)- SU, Indiana, Rutgers, Virginia Tech
Mid Major (4) - Buffalo, Central Michigan, Temple, UMASS
Class of 2020 - DE Leon Lowery (NJ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (6/16/19)

Sean Tucker - RB (Verbal)
Towson, MD - Calvert Hall College HS
2-4-7 Rating at Commit Date N/A 4/13/19; Current Rating 6/16/19 ***
Major (3)- SU, Rutgers, Wisconsin
Mid Major (2) - Air Force, Kent St.
Class of 2020 - RB Sean Tucker (MD) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/13/19)

Stefon Thompson - LB
(Verbal)
Charlotte, NC - Zebulon B. Vance HS
2-4-7 Rating at Commit Date *** 6/21/19; Current Rating 6/21/19 ***
Major (2)- SU, Wisconsin
Mid Major (13) - App. St., Akron, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Colorado St., Georgia Southern, Georgia St., Liberty, Marshall, Ohio, Southern Miss, UMASS, Western Kentucky
Class of 2020 - LB Stefon Thompson (NC) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (6/21/19)

Garth Barclay - OT (Verbal)
York, PA - York Suburban
2-4-7 Rating at Commit Date *** 6/19/19; Current Rating 6/19/19 ***
Major (2)- SU, Virginia
Mid Major (8) - Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, ODU, Temple, Toledo, UCONN, UMASS
Class of 2020 - OL Garth Barclay (PA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (6/19/19)

Marlowe Wax - RB
(Verbal)
Baltimore, MD - Mount Saint Joseph HS
2-4-7 Rating at Commit Date *** 4/14/19; Current Rating 6/16/19 ***
Major (2)- SU, Pittsburgh
Mid Major (5) - East Carolina, Kent St, Marshall, Temple, Toledo
Class of 2020 - RB Marlowe Wax Jr (MD) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/14/19)

Kevin Lemieux - DE
(Verbal)
Byfield, MA - The Governor's Academy
2-4-7 Rating at Commit Date *** 3/24/19; Current Rating 6/16/19 ***
Major (2)- SU, Rutgers
Mid Major (2) - Army, UMASS
Class of 2020 - DE Kevin Lemieux (MA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (3/24/19)

James Williams - K/P
(Verbal)
Athens, GA - Athens Academy
2-4-7 Rating at Commit Date NR 6/19/19; Current Rating 6/19/19 NR
Major (1)- SU
Mid Major (3) - Air Force, Army, Hawaii
Class of 2020 - P/K James Williams (GA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (6/19/19)

Syracuse finished last season at #15 in the country. We have just 1 recruit that the 14 teams that finished ahead of us even offered. 1 kid and thats Robert Hanna and the 1 offer was from Wash ST. And we cant say HCDB doesnt want the higher ranked players because they are offering the highest amount of recruits in the country. Outside of Hanna,Barron and Bell we beat out a bunch of MAC or lower teams and or 1 or 2 low power 5 teams for these recruits. We have a bunch of recruits with 4 or less power conference offers and most of those are from Power 5 teams with losing records. In fact if you look at all of Babers classes its been pretty similiar. 3-4Power 5 type recruits and the rest MAC/AAC type recruits. I guess people will say "hidden gems" found by Babers. Babers has a great offensive scheme that I hope can carry us but WE HAVE to step it up in recruiting. I am not on here to bash or defend HCDB but simply to look at what we have. And by any metric its not top 25 worthy. The fact that NC NCST GT UVA DUKE PITT all have better recruits BASED ON OFFERS is a big red flag. But HCDB still has time to pull in 4 or 5 ACC type recruits so lets hope they get it done.
Please look at our recruiting at this time in 2018, it was pretty much the same as it is this year. We landed all our big names at the end of our season. It will be a similar situation this fall. Kids need more proof that we're for real.

Hey FloridaFan I want to push back on your comment a little. Please please please do not take it personally. You say " I dont know why people think one ten win season puts us ahead of all the other ACC teams that have made 4-5 bowl games in the last 5 years". I AGREE WITH YOU on that and i dont expect Syracuse to get the recruits that Clemson Florida State, Miami get. I do expect Syracuse to recruit better than SOME ACC teams and MAC teams and other bottom feeder power 5 conference teams. Lets just compare Syracuse to the worst ACC team last year who we beat North Carolina. To further dispute your point about "1 ten win season" lets look at them over HCDB's 3 years at Syracuse

Syracuse 10-3, 4-8, 4-8. 18-19 record 1 bowl win 2nd ACC conference 6-2 last year
Nort Carolina 2-9 3-9 8-5. 13-23 record 1 bowl game loss. LAST ACC 1-7 last year

So we are clearly better than NC by ANY measurement in football period. Why is it they have a much better recruiting class????? Before you say Dino didnt want those players" lets look at recruits the worse team in ACC has that are higher ranked than every single Syracuse recruit at this point.

4 Star S- Cameron Roseman-Sinclair 6 P5 offers Tenn, WV, MD, Kentucky, VT

4 Star TE-Ethan West- 15 P5 offers including LSU,Fl, Mich GA, Syr

4 Star WR- Josh Downs 19 P5 offers including Mich, Tenn, OHST Oregon, Ark, WV, Ole Miss, Penn ST

Jacolby Criswell 8 P5 offers including GA, Miami, Miss ST, Ole Miss, ARK

John Copenhaver 12 P5 offers including Florida, Iowa, Tenn, NCST, SC

Clyde Pinder jr 13 P5 offers including Minn, Neb, Penn ST, Ill, Iowa St, Louisville

Trey Zimmerman 18 P5 offers including Aub, Iowa St, Miss St, FLST, WV, Neb, Ken, Louisville

You notice that NC the worst ACC team is competing not only with ACC teams but also SEC teams and winning! We are competing with MAC teams and low ACC teams. In fact how many of our recruits even have 1 SEC offer????????? I can go on and on but you can see the point. The WORST team in the ACC last year has more 4 star recruits coming in this year after a 3 win 2017 and only 2wins last year than Dino Babers has total in 3 years with Syracuse even coming of a 10 win top 15 ranking season. This should be eye opening!!!!! Believe it or not it actually gets worse if we compare our classes to other top 40 teams. Bottom line we have to step up recruiting. Lets hope we can snag a couple ACC recruits like every other ACC team is doing.

Please look at our recruiting at this time in 2018, it was pretty much the same as it is this year. We landed all our big names at the end of our season. It will be a similar situation this fall. Kids need more proof that we're for real.
Bro i really really hope so. I love our scheme especially on offense but we need some ACC talent in the trenches particularly. Lets get it!! Lets go Orange!

We have plenty of ACC talent already with worse recruiting classes. The staff knows how to evaluate.
I understand the defense and agree about the staffs ability to identify talent. In fact if we go back to the North Carolina example I used we recruited Ethan West and he would've been the highest rated recruit according to 24-7 that Babers ever got. He is a GREAT talent which is why Syracuse, LSU, Mich, GA all recruited him. He chose the worse team in the ACC North Carolina over Syracuse. So its not a question of the coaches evaluation of talent BUT RATHER winning that talent. If we compare players based on P5 offers at this point we have one high end recruit in Hanna. Gotta improve that.

I like your insight on many posts and it seems you have some connection to the team. I also have connections to the team and support my school. It just concerns me when the worst team in the ACC has better recruits AND beats us head to head on top end talent. Thats the only point I am making and frankly its indisputable. I truly hope we pick up the talent on the back end as we did last year. Again look at the recruits NC, NCST, Duke, Louisville are fighting and winning. Its night and day vs the guys we are targeting.

Hey FloridaFan I want to push back on your comment a little. Please please please do not take it personally. You say " I dont know why people think one ten win season puts us ahead of all the other ACC teams that have made 4-5 bowl games in the last 5 years". I AGREE WITH YOU on that and i dont expect Syracuse to get the recruits that Clemson Florida State, Miami get. I do expect Syracuse to recruit better than SOME ACC teams and MAC teams and other bottom feeder power 5 conference teams. Lets just compare Syracuse to the worst ACC team last year who we beat North Carolina. To further dispute your point about "1 ten win season" lets look at them over HCDB's 3 years at Syracuse

Syracuse 10-3, 4-8, 4-8. 18-19 record 1 bowl win 2nd ACC conference 6-2 last year
Nort Carolina 2-9 3-9 8-5. 13-23 record 1 bowl game loss. LAST ACC 1-7 last year

So we are clearly better than NC by ANY measurement in football period. Why is it they have a much better recruiting class????? Before you say Dino didnt want those players" lets look at recruits the worse team in ACC has that are higher ranked than every single Syracuse recruit at this point.

4 Star WR- Josh Downs 19 P5 offers including Mich, Tenn, OHST Oregon, Ark, WV, Ole Miss, Penn ST

Clyde Pinder jr 13 P5 offers including Minn, Neb, Penn ST, Ill, Iowa St, Louisville

Trey Zimmerman 18 P5 offers including Aub, Iowa St, Miss St, FLST, WV, Neb, Ken, Louisville

You notice that NC the worst ACC team is competing not only with ACC teams but also SEC teams and winning! We are competing with MAC teams and low ACC teams. In fact how many of our recruits even have 1 SEC offer????????? I can go on and on but you can see the point. The WORST team in the ACC last year has more 4 star recruits coming in this year after a 3 win 2017 and only 2wins last year than Dino Babers has total in 3 years with Syracuse even coming of a 10 win top 15 ranking season. This should be eye opening!!!!! Believe it or not it actually gets worse if we compare our classes to other top 40 teams. Bottom line we have to step up recruiting. Lets hope we can snag a couple ACC recruits like every other ACC team is doing.
You do realize that UNC fired Fedora and brought back Mack Brown. Their class is a result of the "Mack Brown effect"...dreams of bringing UNC back to his glory days. Let's see how things fall out after his first season back at UNC.

Reactions: 007
You do realize that UNC fired Fedora and brought back Mack Brown. Their class is a result of the "Mack Brown effect"...dreams of bringing UNC back to his glory days. Let's see how things fall out after his first season back at UNC.

Yes and they are the same UNC who sent a top 3 pick to the NFL in 2017 and we have barely gotten a kid or two drafted in round 7

The answer can be as simple as location, and national perception.

From 2008-2015 unc had 1 season under 500. I dont even want to speak of our record, in the last 2 decades. National perception is built over time. Vegas opened with us at 5 wins, this year. Insanity. Until we prove we arent a fluke? Some perceptions will remain.

Yes and they are the same UNC who sent a top 3 pick to the NFL in 2017 and we have barely gotten a kid or two drafted in round 7
And UNC was 7-5 in 2016 and then 3-9 in 2017. I guess I just don't get that worked up about recruiting rankings. I prefer to judge the team by the results on the field. That's where I see a marked improvement so I don't really care who the coaches recruit if the right results are attained.

Yes i do... and thats my point good recruiters recruit and WIN good recruits wherever they go. We have MAC coaches in Scott Schaefer and Dino Dino Babers and by in large have MAC recruits. Its just factually where we are at the moment. it was my hope that after a breakout year recruits would take Babers seriously and come to the hill.

Recruits obviously take Mack Brown and every other ACC seriously why not us????

Yes i do... and thats my point good recruiters recruit and WIN good recruits wherever they go. We have MAC coaches in Scott Schaefer and Dino Dino Babers and by in large have MAC recruits. Its just factually where we are at the moment. it was my hope that after a breakout year recruits would take Babers seriously and come to the hill.

Recruits obviously take Mack Brown and every other ACC seriously why not us????
Recruits posssibly take Mack brown serious due to him winning a national championship and being a great coach in the past which gives him more stuff to sell to recruits. Dino doesn’t have that much to sell in comparisons but the gap will close when we start getting bowl games.

The answer can be as simple as location, and national perception.

From 2008-2015 unc had 1 season under 500. I dont even want to speak of our record, in the last 2 decades. National perception is built over time. Vegas opened with us at 5 wins, this year. Insanity. Until we prove we arent a fluke? Some perceptions will remain.
Thanks for the reply Randon guy. So are you saying that high end recruits wont consider Syracuse because we might be a fluke, or are coaches cant close high end players because they are used to getting MAC players?

Thanks for the reply Randon guy. So are you saying that high end recruits wont consider Syracuse because we might be a fluke, or are coaches cant close high end players because they are used to getting MAC players?
I think it’s more the former. We have been mediocre for a few years and sole higher recruits don’t want to come here and go back to 4-8 etc. they want to play bowl games all 4 years. When we can show we can provide that we will at the least be more competitive with them

I think it’s more the former. We have been mediocre for a few years and sole higher recruits don’t want to come here and go back to 4-8 etc. they want to play bowl games all 4 years. When we can show we can provide that we will at the least be more competitive with them
That sounds logical. But if that is indeed the case, why are 4 MAC and all but 1 ACC teams sitting with better recruits than us?

I think its about coaches closing the deal. Lovie Smith went to Illinois and look at the recruits he won. Herm Edwards went to AZST look at his recruits. Mack goes back to NC look at his recruits. So it would seem to me kids choose for two basic reasons. 1 the school/ program or 2 the coach. Again look at those three examples going to programs that weren't good. I just dont get why HCDB cant close a couple high end guys. We got lucky with Trill last year but i really really really thought we would take a huge leap forward this year. But maybe Bnoro is correct and we will get 3 or 4 4 stars after the dead period and keep pace with the other top of the ACC pack. I hope we do.

That sounds logical. But if that is indeed the case, why are 4 MAC and all but 1 ACC teams sitting with better recruits than us?

I think its about coaches closing the deal. Lovie Smith went to Illinois and look at the recruits he won. Herm Edwards went to AZST look at his recruits. Mack goes back to NC look at his recruits. So it would seem to me kids choose for two basic reasons. 1 the school/ program or 2 the coach. Again look at those three examples going to programs that weren't good. I just dont get why HCDB cant close a couple high end guys. We got lucky with Trill last year but i really really really thought we would take a huge leap forward this year. But maybe Bnoro is correct and we will get 3 or 4 4 stars after the dead period and keep pace with the other top of the ACC pack. I hope we do.
And Lovie went 3-9 in 2016, 2-10 in 2017, 4-8 in 2018. I guess closing the deal on higher recruits didn't help him much.

The MAC schools also have 15-16 commits currently to our 10, of which one is a punter and probably won’t be ranked. If we added 4-5 more players of these rankings we would pass all of the MAC schools combined

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom