Recruiting higher rated kids. | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting higher rated kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought with how well our offense has been that we would attract at least 4 star WRs especially with devito having at least 2 more years in this system.
We have a 4 star receiver considering us right now. 3 stars make up the bulk of practically every roster but the top ten recruiting classes mostly and they are still prevelant there.

Didn’t we all jump to conclusions last year too. Look at 3 star Andre Cisco and Andre Szmyt (sp?) and tell me all the big schools wouldn’t want them now. HCDB and staff know what they are doing. If something falls through, they already have a plan b,c and d lined up.
Yep

If memory serves plan B options included

A Robinson (juco after not having early recruiting success with ends)

J Howard (brought in the fold after another RB flipped? Hall?)

Adams (brought in after not liking early RB recruiting results)

Guthrie (juco after not liking early LB recruiting success)

Alexander (grad Transfer after not liking early OL situation... TBD if this works out)

I’m sure there are more I’m missing but the point is, even when plan A does not materialize this staff is prepared to put a capable team on the field

Last edited:
Can we please put a pinned thread about our class and how to look at more then just the ratings? These players are ones the coaches have watched at camp and like. That’s good enough for me.

Both these threads are currently pinned.

Our 2020 class does not appear to be shaping out to be better than 2019.

In past years, I get that we had to recruit lower talent for depth. Now that we have built some depth, I was hoping that the coaching staff would be more strategic in targeting high 3 star and a few 4 star.

In past years, I get that we had to recruit lower talent for depth. Now that we have built some depth, I was hoping that the coaching staff would be more strategic in targeting high 3 star and a few 4 star.
My question to you is this, will you root for these young men regardless of how many stars they are rated? I am guessing the answer is yes. If so, then sit back and enjoy the ride that Dino is taking us on. I think it is going to be pretty special.

Getting a few more high end recruits will give us sustainable success. Every team has low rated recruits that outperform their rankings. Relying on finding hidden gems is risky. We want to pile up the roster with as many quality players as we can. That will give us a better chance to compete for ACC titles. Depth is a big part of that. When we have a bad streak of injuries we will be able to stay the course by throwing in more talented players. Thats what the good programs have.

Getting a few more high end recruits will give us sustainable success. Every team has low rated recruits that outperform their rankings. Relying on finding hidden gems is risky. We want to pile up the roster with as many quality players as we can. That will give us a better chance to compete for ACC titles. Depth is a big part of that. When we have a bad streak of injuries we will be able to stay the course by throwing in more talented players. Thats what the good programs have.

Exactly! Well put. We had two LBs in 19 class at 4 star (Jones and lee) and a CB (nunn) that picked us over Miami and a TE / defensive (cooper) picked us over Clemson. That’s impressive and I was hoping to build off that for 20. Yea I’m a diehard Cuse fan so I rooted for them during the disasters under Greg so obviously I’m not falling off now but to consistently compete w the big boys recruiting rankings do matter.

Exactly! Well put. We had two LBs in 19 class at 4 star (Jones and lee) and a CB (nunn) that picked us over Miami and a TE / defensive (cooper) picked us over Clemson. That’s impressive and I was hoping to build off that for 20. Yea I’m a diehard Cuse fan so I rooted for them during the disasters under Greg so obviously I’m not falling off now but to consistently compete w the big boys recruiting rankings do matter.

All of our current commits have at least one Power 5 offer except the kicker.

Our safety recruit picked us over Miami & Louisville, another DB recruit chose us over Boston College, Nebraska and Virginia Tech.

At this time last year we had 7 commitments (parentheses are rating at time of commitment): Red (NR OL), Cantin-Arku (NR LB ), Bergeron (NR OT), Benson (NR TE), Rondi (3-star DT), Cole (NR CB), Jackson (2-star WR).

All of them ended up as 3-star recruits. Only Cole & Jackson had P5 offers.

We are doing just fine. Three WR’s that came to campus have offers from everyone in the country. And I would say most insiders think we have a chance with all three of them.

It’s going to take more than one year to get Top 30 classes. That being said, our staff has proven it has an eye for talent. I trust them and everyone should too, until we see something different on the field.

As I have said numerous times, more important than the number of stars attached to a recruits name, is what the coaching staff does with the player once they arrive on the campus and enter fully into the program. Lots of teams are/were loaded with talent for years and have totally underachieved. Coach Dino Babers and his Staff know what they are doing and look for players that immediately fit into what they are doing. Coach Edinger and his Strength and Conditioning Staff are absolutely among the best in the business. This current team now has ACC size, strength and athleticism. Always remember folks, it's faith, belief without evidence except now the evidence is showing. Go Orange!!!!!!!

This post could be re-posted every summer Dino has been here.

Interesting article on Orange Fizz discussing our recruiting class. It pretty much states the obvious about our class

For the record, I have never heard a coach say " I recruited a bad class with players that weren't my plan A B or C." And I dont think Babers will say that about this class even if it remains LAST in ACC by all measurements on all recruiting sites. I have said in the past we have to stop making excuses for our recruiting. Our current 11 recruits consist of 3 or 4 that should be at Syracuse. Lets be honest guys. No more excuses. Again we still have time to get some top ACC level talent but the class as it is constituted now is last in ACC by pretty much all metrics including offers. As the article says its July and not too excited about any of our recruits besides the Punter and Hanna

Interesting article on Orange Fizz discussing our recruiting class. It pretty much states the obvious about our class

For the record, I have never heard a coach say " I recruited a bad class with players that weren't my plan A B or C." And I dont think Babers will say that about this class even if it remains LAST in ACC by all measurements on all recruiting sites. I have said in the past we have to stop making excuses for our recruiting. Our current 11 recruits consist of 3 or 4 that should be at Syracuse. Lets be honest guys. No more excuses. Again we still have time to get some top ACC level talent but the class as it is constituted now is last in ACC by pretty much all metrics including offers. As the article says its July and not too excited about any of our recruits besides the Punter and Hanna

I think all of us were hoping for an uptick in recruiting coming off last year but it's going to take more then one good season. Also pretty sure the class isnt ranked last after the last few commits. Clearly we need to finish strong but its July 6th, little early to pressing the panic button.

Robert Hanna just got downgraded on 247. If we want to talk about rankings being BS that's just the latest example.
Hanna is a really really talented kid. The thing is how much time will he see behind Cisco, Nunn, and Cam Jonas. Our 2ndary is loaded. But depth on interior D-line and O-line in general is really concerning and non existent as it pertains to QUALITY experience right now. Red flag

Why do people assume that if we aren't landing high 3 star and 4 star kids, that we aren't targeting them? We target a lot of high 3, 4 and 5 star guys. They just don't always accept. Baby steps. We've always targeted the 4 star guys, and until recently were landing 2 and 3 star guys with fcs, and non power 5 offers. Now, our guys are guys with offers from a lot of p5 schools. The offer list is more telling than how many stars you're rated.
Why do people think that if we have 1 good season in 17 years, that recruiting will just turn around in 1 year. Hate to break it to you, but we could string together back to back to back 8-10 win seasons, and we likely won't crack the top 20 in recruiting. I think our ceiling is a class that ranks 25-30, and has 4 or 5 4 star guys, with a bunch of high three star guys.
Dino is doing fine. We can win with the kind of kids he can bring in.

I share your optimism Jeremy, i really really do. Please read the article then go to 247, Rivals, ESPN, Bleacher report, Barstool sports or any other site that ranks recruits and recruiting classes. Its not good even with those last two recruits. Reality is reality. If you look at it objectively our class is behind 8 non Power 5 teams. Again we have time to make it up and hopefully we will finish strong like last year.

Look theres no doubt that not getting Van Dyke hurt and not having a 4 star WR in the fold yet is annoying. However, almost all of our recruits have multiple P5 offers and I believe the last 3 out of 4 had a ton of other offers. I'm as cynical as the next guy but Babers has shown he can recruit, were un early July, let it play out.

Take this for what it's worth but I found it very interesting... Got to play golf with someone who is close to the Program and close to Dino and apparently a "rule" Dino has and has had since he got here is if a recruit tells the staff and SU they are not Interested and then tries to come back to communicate with the staff, Dino is not allowing that prospect back in the fold... Basically "if we aren't good enough for you when we offer you, don't come back when the big big boys don't offer you" ...
Word is this has occurred NUMEROUS times this recruiting cycle and Dino is sticking to his guns... Speaks a lot about his integrity and vision for program of the program...
Could this rule explain why Dave Boll recently came back to town after the AAF folded and left town with no job offer?

You think only 3 of the 11 that should be here? Who would you think qualifies? The players the staff has gotten so far have the measureables to compete in the P5 and have preformed at camps well enough to be offered.

Could this rule explain why Dave Boll recently came back to town after the AAF folded and left town with no job offer?
Dave is a huge loss. If he wanted his job back Dino should have jumped on it. Not sure that he did.

I used to live for recruiting. Absolutely loved everything about it. And then I saw how rankings, at least at the 3-star level anyway, were so unpredictable and subjective.

In the aggregate, the numbers matter to a degree, in the micro, it really does nothing more than raise my eyebrow as someone to keep an eye on.

I’ll be honest, if I make it through 2 mins of a recruit’s highlight film, they’re one of about 10.

The staff is so important, I value that 10-fold. Keep winning double-dijjy’s and the 4-stars will come regardless.

Dave is a huge loss. If he wanted his job back Dino should have jumped on it. Not sure that he did.
If he wanted to come back, believe it or not, there are NCAA rules about how many people a team can have on staff. And then there is a small matter of money. If you are giving your coaching staff a raise and have already hired staff to replace folks that left there probably isn't money in the budget.

Thought the AAF was a bad move from the jump. Probably was promised and offered things that were unreasonable to offer for an unproven league. Unfortunately, the ship had sailed with the staff hirings. Only so much you can do.

Funny u say that cause I was thinking the same thing. Last years class was much better in terms of the teams we were beating out for a recruit; most of the players in this class we we beat out mostly mid major teams n has me a lil concerned but I hope Dino n company will finish strong

Can you please list out the recruits you believe "should be at Syracuse" and the ones that shouldn't? This should be interesting...

EDIT: That Fizz article wasn't worth my click, but it's exactly the uninformed nonsense I'd expect to read from those guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors