Recruiting higher rated kids. | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting higher rated kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice post although i could dispute the Dillard boys (Ruff and McKinley) as i know Syracuse was there heavy in 2015, i wont because this backs up my point. In 2019 HCDB recruits will be front and center. Dungy, Custis and alot of HCSS recruits are gone.

Sort of but you said that a third of the starters will be Dino's guys this year - it's far more than that which is the point that was being contended. 6 of the 22 starters are going to be holdover Shafer guys, and that's being kind in giving to Shafer guys that Dino reupped in the 2016 class (Scoop, Heckel, Neal). There were 10 decommits of Shafer verbals that Babers didn't accept.

Last edited:
Really???? Sean Riley, Kendall Coleman, Evan Foster Evan Adams,Clausman, Hofrichter, Kenneth Ruff, Mckinley, Scoop Frederick etc etc etc. Or are you not counting the 2016 guys HCSS recruited that stayed when he got fired???? I guess i am confused because you listed Moe Hof and Fredrick only???? Please advise what your thinking.
I hope you don't send your troops into combat with this level of misinformation

Stars mattered on "Star Search" Not so much in recruiting. Not all 3 star kids are created equally. Our recruit class rankings are not much better than Marrones, or Shaefers, but look at the offers Dinos guys have compared to those classes. We have more guys with p5 offers than we used to get. We used to get the 3 star kid with offers from Bowling Green, Purdue, Wake, Rutgers and Central Michigan. Now we're getting more 3 star guys with offers from Miami, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia Tech.
very true and I use the offers that the player is getting as a gauge of how good the player will be rather than just looking at the start rating. there are other factors that go into it that I look at but for the most part that's what I lean on

very true and I use the offers that the player is getting as a gauge of how good the player will be rather than just looking at the start rating. there are other factors that go into it that I look at but for the most part that's what I lean on
And aren't stars the summation of those offers?
I just think the 5 'point' system doesn't do justice to all the levels of HS football talent.
I think they should go with the 10 'point' (star) system.

Thanks for posting. Yepp. This proves the sites get more right than wrong. I agree with that. If they get, say, 60% right,then group in tiers of a dozen or so, to spread probability, the list should look like this. Groups help eliminate coaching, but also eliminate whether a percentage of the recruits are actually higher or lower than their grade. Those that question the sites typically refer to the kids that are either over or under graded - a minority that can be capitalized on by a good evaluating staff.

Most agree that the top graded are fairly accurate. Interesting on the 1 star teams vs 5 star. They meet or bested the 2 stars 4 times, and the 3 stars twice. There is volatility in the 3 star recruits range, even when its spread across dozens. Individual teams can fare better(more under ranked recruits/coaching)

We've been in the 50-60 class rank since this study began. 1 star. Per this study, we lost to a 5 star and 4 star program. Presumably beat a bunch of 3 and 4. We evaluate well, and I believe we've recruited some under ranked players. The players that many that follow those sites have been pointing out for years.

***side note - different debate(adds a can of worms). The 11 5 stars listed never managed to get more than 5 teams in the top 10 final ranking. The Worst year, 2.

I believe in the star system. But stars can be very unpredictable IMO.

If you remember, we had a recruit from the Chicago area specifically Mt. Carmel H.S. He was rated 3 stars and recruited by recruiters from numerous colleges, however, only two schools, Syracuse University and the University of Nebraska, offered him scholarships to play college football as a quarterback.

He decided to attend Syracuse and play for the Syracuse Orange football team, principally because he wanted to prove he was a competent "pocket passer".

Donovan McNabb did pretty well at SU for a 3 star and the Eagles.

The point is a 3 star can end up looking like he should have been a five star. It all depends on the individual and sometimes how he is perceived by colleges and recruiting services and his opportunity at the school he chooses.

If we hit 10-3 with more HCSS recruits then before then we should be better off this year. Our talent under babers has grown and it is thanks to a world class S&C support staff.
Agreed. Its because this staff has a great eye for players that fit our system and most importantly can be molded by the best S&C staff we have ever had. Wish Boller would come back.

I just think the 5 'point' system doesn't do justice to all the levels of HS football talent.
No. Because some 3 star guys have 1 or 2 lower p5 offers, while some 3's get multiple blue blood offers.

I think with the star system, it can only be viewed as a positive and should not be viewed in the inverse. A lack of stars should not be viewed as a negative assessment in the same way that five stars is seen as a positive. It could be due to a lack of assessment. That is where/why coaches have to do their own assessment.

aint enough money for that kind of work by the services

Agreed. Its because this staff has a great eye for players that fit our system and most importantly can be molded by the best S&C staff we have ever had. Wish Boller would come back.
Staff has said they've been bringing in higher rated recruits, per their evaluation, a few times.(despite what the services say) Also, a higher level of raw athleticism, that coach E gets to work on. We're lucky to have the evaluators, and S n C staff we do.

Boller had a great eye. Nice parting gift with the best kicker in the country. Dave is the one I overheard talking about the actual scout services colleges use. Talked with him about his time with Tampa Bay. My favorite offensive player, at that time was Mike Alstott. Dave was responsible for TB taking a fullback at #35. Fullbacks don't go that high. When he saw talent, he knew it, and I'm guessing he didn't care about what outsiders thought. Was really hoping they could find a spot for him. He's a big loss.

3 stars are so widely mis scouted that if you just do a better job on which 3-stars you bring in you have a vastly better class. there is something to be said with getting the guys that fit your system but dont light up the stat board. if the 3-stars are guys you want as opposed to the guys you just get you can do fine.

3 stars are so widely mis scouted that if you just do a better job on which 3-stars you bring in you have a vastly better class. there is something to be said with getting the guys that fit your system but dont light up the stat board. if the 3-stars are guys you want as opposed to the guys you just get you can do fine.
In Connelly's 2019 preview, he called our 2018 class "frankly amazing". That guy lives by the rank system, but he also has eyes. We'll see if the 2019 class follows suit.

In Connelly's 2019 preview, he called our 2018 class "frankly amazing". That guy lives by the rank system, but he also has eyes. We'll see if the 2019 class follows suit.

Well - it's more about how it played out on the field, not their rankings coming in.
2 Frosh AA's, including the Groza winner is pretty freaking amazing.

He was gushing about our now-Sophs, BUT -
they're not all technically '18's - Szmyt, Iffy and TD were RS Frosh last year, for example.

Too bad Stritz didn't RS, rather than burn that year playing 9 games mostly on ST's
And then there's Cam Jonas, who's a grown-ass MAN as a RS Frosh DB this year.

Speaking of grown-ass MAN, I don't think any mention was made of Soph RB Jarveon Howard.

Well - it's more about how it played out on the field, not their rankings coming in.
2 Frosh AA's, including the Groza winner is pretty freaking amazing.

He was gushing about our now-Sophs, BUT -
they're not all technically '18's - Szmyt, Iffy and TD were RS Frosh last year, for example.

Too bad Stritz didn't RS, rather than burn that year playing 9 games mostly on ST's
And then there's Cam Jonas, who's a grown-ass MAN as a RS Frosh DB this year.

Speaking of grown-ass MAN, I don't think any mention was made of Soph RB Jarveon Howard.
My bad. Hastily forgot about RS. I was thinking that talent wise, they were better than their ratings, and that manifested itself on the field.

Would be disappointing not to land one of the monster WRs. Gowdy or Poitier.
Yes this is premature but am I the only one that expected more from 2020? This is the class that Babers was saying would feel the impact of the 10-3 season. So far... meh. I mean, yes, they are putting out offers and getting commits - and the offer list is mostly P5 competition. But I was expecting that we'd land some higher level talent.

Yes this is premature but am I the only one that expected more from 2020? This is the class that Babers was saying would feel the impact of the 10-3 season. So far... meh. I mean, yes, they are putting out offers and getting commits - and the offer list is mostly P5 competition. But I was expecting that we'd land some higher level talent.
I'll admit I'm in the same boat as you. Didn't think we'd become a selector school but after the season got some top 4* talent based on last year's record and thought we'd at least get a few top verbals right now. Wonder why?

I'll admit I'm in the same boat as you. Didn't think we'd become a selector school but after the season got some top 4* talent based on last year's record and thought we'd at least get a few top verbals right now. Wonder why?

I think we are right on schedule. A lot of the commits we have received were offered based on camps, which at Syracuse is a huge thing.

All of our commits have P5 offers. And I have no doubt the earliest commits will receive more closer to signing day.

Trust the staff and enjoy the process.

Agree. This class looks similar to last class (at best) at this time. 2nd-lowest ranking per recruit in the P5 and lowest in the ACC.

I would agree with you all but I would also say it’s still early in the cycle. We have some time to wait before we review. I also would not worry about QB just yet either. Plenty of time. We are not Bama and recruits see at least 2 years of DeVito in front of them so we are likely not going to get that 4 star at that position this year.

I think we are right on schedule. A lot of the commits we have received were offered based on camps, which at Syracuse is a huge thing.

All of our commits have P5 offers. And I have no doubt the earliest commits will receive more closer to signing day.

Trust the staff and enjoy the process.
Trust the staff? you realize the staff also wants to recruit better right now> They are missing out on recruits they want>

Last edited:
Trust the staff? you realize the staff also wants to recruit better right now> They are missing out on recruits they want>
they are not missing all of their top recruits. if you arent a selector school youre not going to get every option A recruit. the trick is to turn the B recruit into a great player regardless of whether they were the first second or thrid option

It's still early. Would I have loved to have some blue chips on board right now and be making waves in recruiting circles? Yeah...but it didn't play out that way. Recruiting is tough and it takes time, there is movement though...I think we've had more interest from top end talent and definitely gotten them on campus earlier and more often. That's a huge step forward. I also think a few the guys we've taken earlier in the cycle last year and this year have been criminally underrated. Only time will tell.

aint enough money for that kind of work by the services
Staff has said they've been bringing in higher rated recruits, per their evaluation, a few times.(despite what the services say) Also, a higher level of raw athleticism, that coach E gets to work on. We're lucky to have the evaluators, and S n C staff we do.

Boller had a great eye. Nice parting gift with the best kicker in the country. Dave is the one I overheard talking about the actual scout services colleges use. Talked with him about his time with Tampa Bay. My favorite offensive player, at that time was Mike Alstott. Dave was responsible for TB taking a fullback at #35. Fullbacks don't go that high. When he saw talent, he knew it, and I'm guessing he didn't care about what outsiders thought. Was really hoping they could find a spot for him. He's a big loss.
Agree. This class looks similar to last class (at best) at this time. 2nd-lowest ranking per recruit in the P5 and lowest in the ACC.

OK -- so I quoted a ton of messages here but I think college football recruiting is one of the most misunderstood topics on this board and, presumably, on any board outside of maybe Alabama and a few of the bluebloods.

The star system essentially works in basketball but is essentially trash in college football, which seems ridiculous to say until you think about it. In basketball, most teams are bringing in 2-4 recruits and those recruits that end up at P5 and higher end programs are not only smaller in number (let's say 250-300) kids but for the most part they are already aggregated. They all play for the same AAU teams (for the most part) which not only puts them all in the same place on many weekends throughout the year, but also puts them head-to-head against similar competition.

For football, you have camps but that's about it. Otherwise there are thousands of kids to rank each year and for many of those kids they are spread far and wide across the U.S. What that creates is a simple reality: That is to say there are way too many variables at play to accurately figure out if the 3-star running back from Massachusetts is a better recruit than the 3-star linebacker from Nevada. It's why a kid like Derrell Smith or Jay Bromley can be added late, with little fanfare to a class and have no recruiting pedigree, but turn out to be a great player.

To illustrate the point, here are a couple things that I think make it really hard to actually assess how a class is doing:

1. No one knows 100% where a kid will ultimately end up or how hard a kid will work the next four or five years. In hoops, this stuff is baked in. But in football a kid may be a borderline DB recruit but turn into a great linebacker. Derrell Smith as a nobody RB who turned into a really good LB is a great example. And the S&C portion of this is huge b/c most kids who aren't 5 stars need to develop at the college level. There's no way for a random talent evaluator to accurately predict that for the hundreds (thousands?) of kids he sees each year.

2. How does a kid fit into a system? It's fine to rank kids but where they end up ultimately has something to do with how successful they are.

3. Syracuse never has and, unless Babers wins a ton and pulls off a complete miracle, never will land classes comprised largely of 4- and 5-star recruits. We live with 2- and 3-star recruits b/c very few schools can afford to do otherwise. We are in upstate ny, we aren't a traditional power (at least financially), facilities and game day atmosphere are ... OK, I guess, but definitely not great. Sitting here and worrying about landing let's say a handful of 4-star kids makes little sense b/c even in our glory years, it was the class as a whole that determined how we did.

4. Early commits and/or kids with other good offers are every bit as important (for us) as star rankings. If you trust the staff, which I would suggest we should (and really I'm not sure Shafer/GRob/Marrone were bad in this regard either), they know what they're looking for. If they see a kid and like him enough to offer early and then he commits -- it's probably a good sign. If a kid commits and has *fill in the blank* stars, it's probably fine if he has some other really solid offers. Sometimes kids inflate their offer lists, I think, but regardless if we accept that they are being offered at other good football programs, and they're committing to us in the summer or early fall, that's a good thing.

5. Recruiting isn't always about landing your top priority from the state's big football factory high school. That's cool but sometimes it's about turning over rocks and finding Jay Bromley or Mike Williams (preferably without the baggage) or Eric Dungey.

So anyway, the bottom line is this: We need good players. Stars are fine and I think anyone would be fired up if we pick up a 5-star or start landing a bunch of 4-stars. But 'recruiting', IMO, is something of a misnomer. It's important to get good, projectable talent, but the key is having a good system, having a focused, effective S&C program, keeping the kids on campus once they get there so they can develop, teaching good technique ... all that stuff is equally as important.

The folks pining away for 4- and 5-star kids are missing the point, IMO.

I wonder if it’s their recruiting technique. I know of nothing in regards of how u should do it but I have heard on multiple occasions that our coaches tell the kids to look around. Kinda found it odd but don’t really know what other coaches do. I do know negative recruiting isn’t that smart but that’s the extent of my knowledge. Doesn’t that seem odd or no to some of u who have been heavily recruited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom