Recruiting Updates | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

Unless we are reduced from 10 ships to 12 ships for the 16-17 season, I don't think its possible to get Giles if we keep Moyer, which we have clearly stated we intend to do.

I love Giles, I've made it known how badly I want this kid, and how unbelievably awesome I think he will be for 1 season in college, but the incredible outside shot we had to pull Giles out of North Carolina died the day sanctions were announced IMO. But man if somehow someway JB pulled something out of his hat to get Moyer, Giles and Battle in 16 (with reduced sanctions obviously) we would be a favorite to win it all. That would be something special to behold.
Just wait until the UNC report comes down from the NCAA. If they put us on 5 years probation, half a season coach's suspension, 12 lost schollies and over 100 vacated wins ... for 5 players and $8k at the Y, a few mary jane tests and "excessive academic assistance" for a kid that spoke Portuguese, I doubt UNC's going to look like a glorious option for Harry G.

Last edited:
Just wait until the UNC report comes down from the NCAA. If they put us on 5 years probation, half a season coach's suspension, 12 lost schollies and over 100 vacated wins ... for 5 players and $8k at the Y, a few mary jane tests and "excessive academic assistance" for a kid that spoke Portuguese, I doubt UNC's going to look like a glorious option for Harry G.

They will probably call for someone to actually be hung by rope. They have a billion dollars in tournament advertising to protect!

They will probably call for someone to actually be hung by rope. They have a billion dollars in tournament advertising to protect!
Ya I wonder if, since the NCAA wants SU to refund the money we made from certain tournament years, the NCAA's going to refund some of the money IT made that year?

Ya I wonder if, since the NCAA wants SU to refund the money we made from certain tournament years, the NCAA's going to refund some of the money IT made that year?

They are going to make billion dollars from advertising this tournament. They don't need anymore money. Everyone in the NCAA is already a multimillionaire.

They are going to make billion dollars from advertising this tournament. They don't need anymore money. Everyone in the NCAA is already a multimillionaire.
Wonder how much they paid Swankey for his "contribution" to the NCAA report.

I believe Lydon and Howard are good. Diagne being an international student will probably have his transcript looked at longer than others similar to Chino. Mali being at multiple schools in NJ like Roberson, I could see his situation take a bit to clear as well. All four are noted as good students and I've never heard of any academic problems or issues with them.
Academics aside, Ive been watching a lot of tape lately. Am I crazy to think Moyer might be the best player we've recruited since 2002? Game just seems easy to him. Effortless. Emotional. I honestly think he could be one of our best ever.

I may be spoiled by the calibre of recruit that SU gets, but Moyer doesn't impress me as a kid that will come in his first year and do a lot. He looks athletic but not uber athletic if you know what I mean. Don't know his level of competition, but doesn't really dominate like I would hope. Fairly skinny and un developed physique. Don't mean to be negative, assume in time he will be a very productive player at SU but not ready to put him in an elite category.

Academics aside, Ive been watching a lot of tape lately. Am I crazy to think Moyer might be the best player we've recruited since 2002? Game just seems easy to him. Effortless. Emotional. I honestly think he could be one of our best ever.

He's got a year to go. The intangibles seem to be there as does the raw talent and most of the skills. He still needs to put it together a bit IMO to really be special out of the gate but I'm not putting it past him. Needs some more muscle as well.

Wow! That's high praise but I respect the opinion. Unfortunately I haven't seen any full game film on him yet. So my overall judgment has been reserved on him at this point. He is intriguing because he has all of the prototypical attributes that we expect from a SU wing. He still has time to develop and I expect he'll be around the 6'8 220 range when he hits SU.

Wow! That's high praise but I respect the opinion. Unfortunately I haven't seen any full game film on him yet. So my overall judgment has been reserved on him at this point. He is intriguing because he has all of the prototypical attributes that we expect from a SU wing. He still has time to develop and I expect he'll be around the 6'8 220 range when he hits SU.
Sounds like that other dude we had here. I don't think he's melo in any respect, but watching his film, he just gets it. There aren't alot of killer instinct guys out there. But he seems to have it. I can't explain it.

Sounds like that other dude we had here. I don't think he's melo in any respect, but watching his film, he just gets it. There aren't alot of killer instinct guys out there. But he seems to have it. I can't explain it.
The best SU commit I've seen since Melo in HS still remains to be Mr. Do it all Paul Harris. His late game brain farts killed us and his defense which was his best playmaking trait pretty much got wasted in the zone. Still I don't think there were too many that could go pound for pound against him in HS. He basically played 5 positions and was the definition of a true beast! I really wish his college career at SU would've turned out better because I think he was so much better than he had shown in college.

Last edited:
The best SU commit I've seen since Melo in HS still remains to be Mr. Do it all Paul Harris. His late game brain farts killed us and his defense which was his best playmaking trait pretty much got wasted in the zone. Still I don't think there were too many that could go pound for pound against him in HS. He basically played 5 positions and was the definition of a true beast! I really wish his college career at SU would've turned out better because I think he was so much better than he had shown in college.
I remember we wanted Harris so badly we offered his younger teammate Jonny Flynn to help convince Harris to go to SU, at least that was my perception. Funny how things work out...