Recruiting Updates | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

I wouldn't read much into that. Staff only had a small window to watch players this weekend because of the Gala tonight and Simmons was playing in a different event than the one they were at last night.

In your opinion right now. Who from 2016 do we end up with to join Moyer.

I don't know where the Keita recruitment is at or other possible big men. But off the guards Battle, Simmons, Gilbert. In that order.

Agreed, getting the official set up with Battle is great news. I think we close the deal then. Things are looking much better there than pre -visit by JB and Hop.

Where did I miss the news of the official visit being set. When is it ?

Agreed, getting the official set up with Battle is great news. I think we close the deal then. Things are looking much better there than pre -visit by JB and Hop.

That's phenomenal news. Given current circumstances, Battle is as close to a "must get" as possible--he's that good.

http://cusebballrecruiting.blogspot.com/2015/04/426-news-and-notes.html
Last day live period updates.

Here goes some other observations of players that I was able to check out throughout the weekend.

Kevin Huerter-The Rautins comparison are pretty much accurate. Nice size for a 2G that handles it well in the half court. Shot was a little inconsistent in the games I saw but most of his misses were the in and out variety. If we had extra space available then I wouldn't mind using one on him but with our current situation and the need for a PG, I just don't see the need and fit for him at SU. Michigan and UVA are very interested from what I hear and I can see him definitely giving us problems down the road if he ended up at an ACC school.

Q. Rose-When it comes to upside, I think this cat might end up being the best out of the City Rocks bunch. He looks close to 6'6, good ball handler that can create his own shot and score on all three levels. Like Huerter, I'm not sure he's currently a fit for us because he looks more comfortable playing off the ball as an additional handler more so than a lead guard. He'll be a very good contributor throughout his college career wherever he ends up at.

Howard Washington-Solid player but I just don't see an elite high level guard here. A school like BC or Wake where he can have a nice career as a role player and not be asked to do much might be the best fit for him. Can shoot it at times and get hot from deep while showcasing good vision as a lead guard. Struggles against more athletic and physical guards. Most of his scoring comes on threes, as he hasn't shown the ability to score around the tin or mid range consistently at this point.

Tony Carr-If we somehow miss out on our top tier guard list, then Carr would be the next best option imho that I believe would be a good fit currently. Similar size to Rose with long arms, difference being that Carr is a PG that runs the show and makes things happen. Showed good vision moving the ball in the half court and in transition. What I was really impressed with was how crafty of a scorer he was in isolation situations when the shot clock was running down using his length to finish in traffic around the basket.

Sir Al Gilbert-The more I watched him, the more I kept saying to myself that this is the type of PG that has caused pain and annoyance for SU fans whenever we play Louisville and UConn. Like I noted before, he doesn't have the size or length for the zone but if we're recruiting him for the Mike Hopkins era then he'll definitely be an intriguing option. Saw him knock down a few perimeter shots in other games but still struggled to finish inside. He was very good at drawing fouls and getting to the line a lot.

Keep an eye on a 2017 SG name Lonnie Walker. He's about 6'5 and had some really good moments for Team Final throughout the weekend. He knocked down some threes and had several athletic finishes in transition. Once he puts it fully together then he could end up being on the SU radar eventually.

Last edited:
http://cusebballrecruiting.blogspot.com/2015/04/426-news-and-notes.html
Last day live period updates.

Here goes some other observations of players that I was able to check out throughout the weekend.

Kevin Huerter-The Rautins comparison are pretty much accurate. Nice size for a 2G that handles it well in the half court. Shot was a little inconsistent in the games I saw but most of his misses were the in and out variety. If we had extra space available then I wouldn't mind using one on him but with our current situation and the need for a PG, I just don't see the need and fit for him at SU. Michigan and UVA are very interested from what I hear and I can see him definitely giving us problems down the road if he ended up at an ACC school.

Q. Rose-When it comes to upside, I think this cat might end up being the best out of the City Rocks bunch. He looks close to 6'6, good ball handler that can create his own shot and score on all three levels. Like Huerter, I'm not sure he's currently a fit for us because he looks more comfortable playing off the ball as an additional handler more so than a lead guard. He'll be a very good contributor throughout his college career wherever he ends up at.

Howard Washington-Solid player but I just don't see an elite high level guard here. A school like BC or Wake where he can have a nice career as a role player and not be asked to do much might be the best fit for him. Can shoot it at times and get hot from deep while showcasing good vision as a lead guard. Struggles against more athletic and physical guards. Most of his scoring comes on threes, as he hasn't shown the ability to score around the tin or mid range consistently at this point.

Tony Carr-If we somehow miss out on our top tier guard list, then Carr would be the next best option imho that I believe would be a good fit currently. Similar size to Rose with long arms, difference being that Carr is a PG that runs the show and makes things happen. Showed good vision moving the ball in the half court and in transition. What I was really impressed with was how crafty of a scorer he was in isolation situations when the shot clock was running down using his length to finish in traffic around the basket.

Sir Al Gilbert-The more I watched him, the more I kept saying to myself that this is the type of PG that has caused pain and annoyance for SU fans whenever we play Louisville and UConn. Like I noted before, he doesn't have the size or length for the zone but if we're recruiting him for the Mike Hopkins era then he'll definitely be an intriguing option. Saw him knock down a few perimeter shots in other games but still struggled to finish inside. He was very good at drawing fouls and getting to the line a lot.

Keep an on a 2017 SG name Lonnie Walker. He's about 6'5 and had some really good moments for Team Final throughout the weekend. He knocked down some threes and had several athletic finishes in transition. Once he puts it fully together then he could end up being on the SU radar eventually.
Hey Francoise, I don't always say thanks (because really who can keep up with you), but dean, dude, you da man!