Recruiting Updates | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

Honestly, I'll be shocked if we get Simmons or Gilbert. It's nothing against the program, but we were so in on Battle, I don't see how it's possible to make up ground so fast. I think we end up having to take plan d or E, and if that's the case why don't we just get another forward or big.

I hear you and its completely reasonable to think we may have missed the boat on Murray, Simmons and Gilbert. If we don't get any of the 3 then I wouldn't mind Fultz but if not I agree we would still have Joesph and Howard so if you aren't adding a really quality guard it may not make sense.

I'm choosing to be optimistic that the staff may be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat late.

I hear you and its completely reasonable to think we may have missed the boat on Murray, Simmons and Gilbert. If we don't get any of the 3 then I wouldn't mind Fultz but if not I agree we would still have Joesph and Howard so if you aren't adding a really quality guard it may not make sense.

I'm choosing to be optimistic that the staff may be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat late.

Good stuff Jordo. I'm usually as optimistic as they come, but I'm starting to get worried. Are we even recruting Fultz? Last I knew I didn't think we were.

jordoo said:
I hear you and its completely reasonable to think we may have missed the boat on Murray, Simmons and Gilbert. If we don't get any of the 3 then I wouldn't mind Fultz but if not I agree we would still have Joesph and Howard so if you aren't adding a really quality guard it may not make sense. I'm choosing to be optimistic that the staff may be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat late.

It would be nice if we could just recruit a good big if we can't land a top flight combo guard. But we're going to need another guard, a ballhandler, with only Howard and Joseph on the roster. I see Malachi as more of a small forward.

Good stuff Jordo. I'm usually as optimistic as they come, but I'm starting to get worried. Are we even recruting Fultz? Last I knew I didn't think we were.

I'm in the same boat getting antsy and a bit worried about how things pan out with the 16 and 17 classes. I'm holding out hope though and OORange has optimistic news on Simmons.

I do not believe we have actively recruited Fultz as of yet. I was just saying I like his game and if he would likely be able to contribute as needed from the get go even if he wasn't an instant star.

It would be nice if we could just recruit a good big if we can't land a top flight combo guard. But we're going to need another guard, a ballhandler, with only Howard and Joseph on the roster. I see Malachi as more of a small forward.

I agree Malachi is not a primary ball handle and likely never will be. Still it depends on how far along Joseph and Howard come this season. They could reasonably be better than a backup plan guy by the start of the 16/17 season and if Malachi is back which expect then that is your 3 guard rotation. I would of course prefer to lane Murray or Simmons so there is no worry and then Duval in 17.

Howard Washington?

Just got a great laugh from twitter.
Too bad some people don't realize how much content these so called media heads get from this forum.

This Ryan dude is all over cuse twitter...he probably thinks he has an "in" by following and hugging on the syracusebball twitter guy. Same with mike mccallister. Not saying these guys dont know certain things, but we all do here before them...hmm

I was able to check out a few more EYBL games that took place over the weekend. Here goes some thoughts.

Kevin Huerter-In terms of versatility, he reminds me of a combo between Rautins and G. He's a better ball handler than Rautins and while he's not as athletic as G, he's a better shooter. He can play positions 1-3, but at SU he would be more suited mainly at the top. What I really like when watching him recently is that he isn't afraid to mix it up and battle for rebounds and when he gets it he pushes the pace leading the break before the defense gets a chance to set up. At this point imo if the staff really wants him then I think they'll have to move that offer up to 2016. His stock will only get higher and he'll have too many good options to chose from coming up to want to bother spending two more years in HS.

Al Gilbert-After getting some more full game viewings of him, I think he's going to be the type of player that will drive Cuse fans crazy at times due to his fast style of play which results in plenty of positive and negative plays. He'll have good moments tossing out several nice assist and finishes around the basket. Mixed in with some bad and careless turnovers such as dribbling into traffic for no reason and pushing the pace 100mph when the numbers aren't there. All of that can be coached up to be corrected. He's a terrific competitor that always plays hard on both ends. Personally due to his size and lack of length, I don't think he's the best fit for SU when it comes to the zone. If no Kobi Simmons, then I would actually prefer Huerter and pray that Joseph improves and Howard shows some potential.

Jordan Tucker(2017 offer)-I felt like I was watching our boy James "Dirty" Southerland again when checking this kid out. Basically all he does is stand out on the perimeter and bombs away from three. He displayed a quick release and is able to get hot in a hurry, but on the flip side he relies on the three way too much and can become a bit of a gunner at times. He was listed around 6'5-6 range before but looks to have grown closer to 6'8 now. As we all know SU is always in need of some shooters and this young sniper is definitely worth being in the early mix for.

Lonnie Walker(2017 interest)-I mentioned in my last report that this 6'5 G/F was somebody to look out for and he made another big impression once again dropping 30pts against Team CP3(Gilbert and Harry Giles). His team was down by 18pts with under 8 minutes to go and he must hit about 4-5 threes in a row to help his team force overtime. He also showed the ability to use his athleticism and strength to finish several times in traffic. Indiana which offers everybody recently offered him but I'm sure more big boys hopefully SU being one of them will soon do the same.

Marcus Zegarowski(2017 MCW younger bro)-Was tough to get a good read on him because his team was short handed with only six players and were overmatched from the jump. He competed hard and knocked down a few jumpers in the blowout. Not sure if he's SU material at the moment but he's worth keeping an eye on.

Harry Giles-Obviously we're not in the mix anymore but after watching him a bunch since he's plays with Gilbert it only reaffirms my opinion that he's the best player in the 2016 class. This guy can do so much on both ends of the floor and impact the game in many ways. At 6'10 he can score down low or take his man off the bounce out on the perimeter. He doesn't spend too much time jacking up jumpers but showed the ability to hit the three when open. Defensively he gives the rebounding and rim protection that you would expect from a player of his caliber. Whoever lands him will get a player that can instantly lead them to a championship.

Udoka Azubuike-This top 10 big man in the 2016 class was an absolute load for anybody to handle inside. He was the only player to give Giles some issues in their matchup. His game is mainly built on brute strength and positioning down low as he lacks refinement due to being new to the game coming over from Africa. There were several times when he would dunk the ball and it would look like the hoop would just collapse similar to Shaq's younger NBA days lol. Look for him to end up at an ACC or SEC school.

Francis03 said:
I was able to check out a few more EYBL games that took place over the weekend. Here goes some thoughts. Kevin Huerter-In terms of versatility, he reminds me of a combo between Rautins and G. He's a better ball handler than Rautins and while he's not as athletic as G, he's a better shooter. He can play positions 1-3, but at SU he would be more suited mainly at the top. What I really like when watching him recently is that he isn't afraid to mix it up and battle for rebounds and when he gets it he pushes the pace leading the break before the defense gets a chance to set up. At this point imo if the staff really wants him then I think they'll have to move that offer up to 2016. His stock will only get higher and he'll have too many good options to chose from coming up to want to bother spending two more years in HS. Al Gilbert-After getting some more full game viewings of him, I think he's going to be the type of player that will drive Cuse fans crazy at times due to his fast style of play which results in plenty of positive and negative plays. He'll have good moments tossing out several nice assist and finishes around the basket. Mixed in with some bad and careless turnovers such as dribbling into traffic for no reason and pushing the pace 100mph when the numbers aren't there. All of that can be coached up to be corrected. He's a terrific competitor that always plays hard on both ends. Personally due to his size and lack of length, I don't think he's the best fit for SU when it comes to the zone. If no Kobi Simmons, then I would actually prefer Huerter and pray that Joseph improves and Howard shows some potential. Jordan Tucker(2017 offer)-I felt like I was watching our boy James "Dirty" Southerland again when checking this kid out. Basically all he does is stand out on the perimeter and bombs away from three. He displayed a quick release and is able to get hot in a hurry, but on the flip side he relies on the three way too much and can become a bit of a gunner at times. He was listed around 6'5-6 range before but looks to have grown closer to 6'8 now. As we all know SU is always in need of some shooters and this young sniper is definitely worth being in the early mix for. Lonnie Walker(2017 interest)-I mentioned in my last report that this 6'5 G/F was somebody to look out for and he made another big impression once again dropping 30pts against Team CP3(Gilbert and Harry Giles). His team was down by 18pts with under 8 minutes to go and he must hit about 4-5 threes in a row to help his team force overtime. He also showed the ability to use his athleticism and strength to finish several times in traffic. Indiana which offers everybody recently offered him but I'm sure more big boys hopefully SU being one of them will soon do the same. Marcus Zegarowski(2017 MCW younger bro)-Was tough to get a good read on him because his team was short handed with only six players and were overmatched from the jump. He competed hard and knocked down a few jumpers in the blowout. Not sure if he's SU material at the moment but he's worth keeping an eye on. Harry Giles-Obviously we're not in the mix anymore but after watching him a bunch since he's plays with Gilbert it only reaffirms my opinion that he's the best player in the 2016 class. This guy can do so much on both ends of the floor and impact the game in many ways. At 6'10 he can score down low or take his man off the bounce out on the perimeter. He doesn't spend too much time jacking up jumpers but showed the ability to hit the three when open. Defensively he gives the rebounding and rim protection that you would expect from a player of his caliber. Whoever lands him will get a player that can instantly lead them to a championship. Udoka Azubuike-This top 10 big man in the 2016 class was an absolute load for anybody to handle inside. He was the only player to give Giles some issues in their matchup. His game is mainly built on brute strength and positioning down low as he lacks refinement due to being new to the game coming over from Africa. There were several times when he would dunk the ball and it would look like the hoop would just collapse similar to Shaq's younger NBA days lol. Look for him to end up at an ACC or SEC school.
I saw Azubuike go head to head against one of the top big man prospects in DeAndre Ayton and boy what a show both kids put on. I agree completely with anyone who says they see a young Shaq with this kid. If he doesn't get injured he could be a stud.

Last edited:
I saw Azubuike (#10 in 2016) go head to head against one of the top big man prospects in DeAndre Ayton (#1 in 2017) and boy what a show both kids put on. I agree completely with anyone who says they see a young Shaq with this kid. If he doesn't get injured he could be a stud.
Just found video and stats from their collision, Ayton finished with 23 point 20 rebounds. Azubuike also played really well going for 20 points 11 rebounds.
To go with these two there was also Giles (#2 in 2016) and Zach Brown (#4 in 2017). With any luck most if not all four will be back this year, but if not these guys are all going to be stars in college and maybe beyond.

I was able to check out a few more EYBL games that took place over the weekend. Here goes some thoughts.

Kevin Huerter-In terms of versatility, he reminds me of a combo between Rautins and G. He's a better ball handler than Rautins and while he's not as athletic as G, he's a better shooter. He can play positions 1-3, but at SU he would be more suited mainly at the top. What I really like when watching him recently is that he isn't afraid to mix it up and battle for rebounds and when he gets it he pushes the pace leading the break before the defense gets a chance to set up. At this point imo if the staff really wants him then I think they'll have to move that offer up to 2016. His stock will only get higher and he'll have too many good options to chose from coming up to want to bother spending two more years in HS.

Al Gilbert-After getting some more full game viewings of him, I think he's going to be the type of player that will drive Cuse fans crazy at times due to his fast style of play which results in plenty of positive and negative plays. He'll have good moments tossing out several nice assist and finishes around the basket. Mixed in with some bad and careless turnovers such as dribbling into traffic for no reason and pushing the pace 100mph when the numbers aren't there. All of that can be coached up to be corrected. He's a terrific competitor that always plays hard on both ends. Personally due to his size and lack of length, I don't think he's the best fit for SU when it comes to the zone. If no Kobi Simmons, then I would actually prefer Huerter and pray that Joseph improves and Howard shows some potential.

Jordan Tucker(2017 offer)-I felt like I was watching our boy James "Dirty" Southerland again when checking this kid out. Basically all he does is stand out on the perimeter and bombs away from three. He displayed a quick release and is able to get hot in a hurry, but on the flip side he relies on the three way too much and can become a bit of a gunner at times. He was listed around 6'5-6 range before but looks to have grown closer to 6'8 now. As we all know SU is always in need of some shooters and this young sniper is definitely worth being in the early mix for.

Lonnie Walker(2017 interest)-I mentioned in my last report that this 6'5 G/F was somebody to look out for and he made another big impression once again dropping 30pts against Team CP3(Gilbert and Harry Giles). His team was down by 18pts with under 8 minutes to go and he must hit about 4-5 threes in a row to help his team force overtime. He also showed the ability to use his athleticism and strength to finish several times in traffic. Indiana which offers everybody recently offered him but I'm sure more big boys hopefully SU being one of them will soon do the same.

Marcus Zegarowski(2017 MCW younger bro)-Was tough to get a good read on him because his team was short handed with only six players and were overmatched from the jump. He competed hard and knocked down a few jumpers in the blowout. Not sure if he's SU material at the moment but he's worth keeping an eye on.

Harry Giles-Obviously we're not in the mix anymore but after watching him a bunch since he's plays with Gilbert it only reaffirms my opinion that he's the best player in the 2016 class. This guy can do so much on both ends of the floor and impact the game in many ways. At 6'10 he can score down low or take his man off the bounce out on the perimeter. He doesn't spend too much time jacking up jumpers but showed the ability to hit the three when open. Defensively he gives the rebounding and rim protection that you would expect from a player of his caliber. Whoever lands him will get a player that can instantly lead them to a championship.

Udoka Azubuike-This top 10 big man in the 2016 class was an absolute load for anybody to handle inside. He was the only player to give Giles some issues in their matchup. His game is mainly built on brute strength and positioning down low as he lacks refinement due to being new to the game coming over from Africa. There were several times when he would dunk the ball and it would look like the hoop would just collapse similar to Shaq's younger NBA days lol. Look for him to end up at an ACC or SEC school.

Thanks Francis - still the best.

Hearing anything on Markelle Fultz?