Recruiting Updates | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

Tbh I'm surprised that Red hasn't been all over him.

I've wondered lately if we are only going after certain guys due to Academics. I have no idea what any of these recruits transcripts look like, but that could be a reason we are not hot after some guys right in our wheelhouse.

Last edited:
Something of note for the 2016 PG situation is that if we cannot get a stud in that class we will have a Junior Joseph and a Sophomore Howard. Its not like we will be barren at that spot and i'd think that as a Junior and a Sophomore they would be better equipped to handle the PG position than most freshman recruits other than perhaps the top 10-12 PG's coming in. The staff should start getting a pretty good idea of where these two are at over the summer. If they feel good about it waiting for a late decision for Simmons could be more reasonable and they may even feel good enough to use the open spot for a Big and hope another opens up later. The last spot could be more telling about where the staff feels Joseph and Howard are in their readiness to run the show.

Something of note for the 2016 PG situation is that if we cannot get a stud in that class we will have a Junior Joseph and a Sophomore Howard. Its not like we will be barren at that spot and i'd think that as a Junior and a Sophomore they would be better equipped to handle the PG position than most freshman recruits other than perhaps the top 10-12 PG's coming in. The staff should start getting a pretty good idea of where these two are at over the summer. If they feel good about it waiting for a late decision for Simmons could be more reasonable and they may even feel good enough to use the open spot for a Big and hope another opens up later. The last spot could be more telling about where the staff feels Joseph and Howard are in their readiness to run the show.
You hit it dead on, everyone wants the newest shiniest toys and they forget about what they have. Would I be thrilled if we got a Kobi Simmons? Absolutely, but we still have a couple top 100 players that already have experience in our system and I expect both of them to play in 2016. I feel like Kaleb is going to be one of those players that after his 4 years on the Hill are over we will look back and realize that he was a solid player for us for multiple years, obviously he has a long way to go, but I still believe he has it in him to take that step from just a body on the court to a player that can and will make a difference for this team.

Last edited:

Very true and I certainly hope that re: Junior Joseph and Sophomore Howard. But, the staff had determined it seemed that Battle was priority #1. Simmons has received an in home visit and Gilbert is on their radar. Others too I am sure. This makes me think that the staff could be worried about this position in the near future. Or maybe they just want more ballhandlers which I welcome with open arms. We know this has been a problem for a few years now. I don't know but I don't see Joseph or Howard declaring for the draft in 2016 or 2017 so, again, it just makes me think that the staff MAY be concerned about that position currently. Who knows.

Those 3 pt shooting numbers for Duval? 0-12? Not good
That's pretty much my only concern about him at this point that he needs to improve moving forward. Has only shot 20% from 3 this spring but is averaging around 20ppg. If he ever becomes a consistent 3 pt threat then he would really become the second coming of Chuck Norris.:)

Last edited:
That's pretty much my only concern about him at this point that he needs to improve moving forward. Has only shot 20% from 3 this spring but is averaging around 20ppg. If he ever becomes a consistent 3 pt threat then he would really become the second coming Chuck Norris.:)
Nice. He reminds me a little of Derrick Rose, not that he will become NBA MVP.

Nice. He reminds me a little of Derrick Rose, not that he will become NBA MVP.
Because I'm zeroed in on Syracuse, I always thought he was "Dion Waiters with a point guard mindset"...but I'd gladly take D-Rose.

jekelish said:
Because I'm zeroed in on Syracuse, I always thought he was "Dion Waiters with a point guard mindset"...but I'd gladly take D-Rose.

Me too, a poor man's D-Rose would work for me.

Highlights of the Bron vs Melo showdown back in HS.

I remember how hyped that game was. Didn't ESPN2 or ESPNU show the whole game? (which was pretty rare back then) I know it was featured on sports center that night. If memory serves both guys had great games and Oak Hill pulled out the win.

Thanks for posting. Its pretty cool two see two top world talents facing off in highschool back in the day.

I remember how hyped that game was. Didn't ESPN2 or ESPNU show the whole game? (which was pretty rare back then) I know it was featured on sports center that night. If memory serves both guys had great games and Oak Hill pulled out the win.

Thanks for posting. Its pretty cool two see two top world talents facing off in highschool back in the day.
Unfortunately that game was never broadcasted on TV. I think ESPN didn't start televising LeBron games until his Senior season and that game took place during his Junior year. Mason was able to attend that game and gave a good recap about it here back when the Primetime Shootout in Trenton, NJ was a big deal yearly. That footage believe it or not is the first that I've ever seen from that game. Hopefully the full game will eventually become available so that we can add it to our collectors edition.

Unfortunately that game was never broadcasted on TV. I think ESPN didn't start televising LeBron games until his Senior season and that game took place during his Junior year. Mason was able to attend that game and gave a good recap about it here back when the Primetime Shootout in Trenton, NJ was a big deal yearly. That footage believe it or not is the first that I've ever seen from that game. Hopefully the full game will eventually become available so that we can add it to our collectors edition.

Didn't they do highlights of that game on Sports Center? Damn if not I need to chill on the booze since my brain is making up and revising history.

Didn't they do highlights of that game on Sports Center? Damn if not I need to chill on the booze since my brain is making up and revising history.
I honestly can't remember if they did or not. It was just disappointing that a big matchup like that wasn't televised live. I guess ESPN figured they dropped the ball on that one because they started televising big HS games yearly after that.

I have the entire game on a mini video cassette, but don't have a way to play it...