Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting

Good to know we have 5 shooting guards and 0 point guards on our team. WTH is Jim thinking? You can't go 30-1 without a pure point guard. FIRE JB!!!!!

if dion is seriously considering leaving the program i hope he lets jimmy know sooner rather than later so we can bring in a 4th guard for next year.and i'm not talking superstar and i don't even care if he's a tranfer but somebody who can log some decent minutes for us in a pinch.

if dion is seriously considering leaving the program i hope he lets jimmy know sooner rather than later so we can bring in a 4th guard for next year.and i'm not talking superstar and i don't even care if he's a tranfer but somebody who can log some decent minutes for us in a pinch.

You really think that Jim isn't privy to that information. He's even alluded to the fact several times.

btw, check out Kentucky's page... even with illegal recruiting that page is pretty disgustingly sick...

Puke and N Carolina recruiting is not too shabby and they will count more than UK. With our increasing prestige, if we escape scandal, we are on the cusp of entering into the very top echelon of recruiting, with Puke, N Carolina, UK, KU, OSU and MSU. UCon is on its way down. I never thought we would get there, but here we are knocking on the door. Its been a gradual gain in prestige over my lifetime as a fan since Manley days. I'm not worried about the Fine Mess, but I'm concerned about the drug testing because there are too many unknowns.

The posts about personal vendettas are sad. We are now a representative program for college hoops. Such programs have to be held to high standards.

btw, check out Kentucky's page... even with illegal recruiting that page is pretty disgustingly sick...

kentucky's list looks like some HS all star summer camp roster. IMO they're really no longer a true college basketball program but rather just an NBA stepping stone and a freaky talent show.

He is gone. We have 4 guards next year, including Mookie. Absent injury, we will play 3. Jimmy will bring in a backcourt next year. In 2 years our starting backcourt will be MCW and Cooney and we will have 2 freshman guards many people will think should play ahead of them.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Is that the same database that that poster showed us a week ago and gave us some insight to it or is it a different one? Looks the same.

Is that the same database that that poster showed us a week ago and gave us some insight to it or is it a different one? Looks the same.
It's the same one.

It's the same one.

Cool. I had forgotten to bookmark it, not I can without looking for that other thread.

Puke and N Carolina recruiting is not too shabby and they will count more than UK. With our increasing prestige, if we escape scandal, we are on the cusp of entering into the very top echelon of recruiting, with Puke, N Carolina, UK, KU, OSU and MSU. UCon is on its way down. I never thought we would get there, but here we are knocking on the door. Its been a gradual gain in prestige over my lifetime as a fan since Manley days. I'm not worried about the Fine Mess, but I'm concerned about the drug testing because there are too many unknowns.

The posts about personal vendettas are sad. We are now a representative program for college hoops. Such programs have to be held to high standards.

Winning the Noel sweepstakes would obviously be a huge step in the process.

Not worried about the drug "scandal". It just sounds too vague, too mal-sourced, too "so what?".

Ditto the earlier poster about the PG situation. As an analogy, I have been a corporate finance manager in several situations with a staff of 10-15. Each had a role to play, with some cross-training for redundancy in case someone left. I had responsibility for many tasks to get done, and it was my job to make sure we had someone to do them - without fail. I had to make sure that we had someone who could perform each task.

JB has a similar situation, only much more visible, with much more at stake. In 2013, one of his responsibilities is to make sure he has a PG option who can perform up to the increasing standards he has successfully created. I would like MCW to be that guy, or I would like to think BT is up to the task as well. But "would like" isn't good enough if you want to take this seriously. We have moved to a level where these uncertainties must be eliminated.

i'm not counting on mookie ever coming back . i figure we loose scoop,reese and dion if he jumps.
i'd really like to know who exactly that 4th guard is going to be before may 1st.

i'm not counting on mookie ever coming back . i figure we loose scoop,reese and dion if he jumps.
i'd really like to know who exactly that 4th guard is going to be before may 1st.
who was the 4th guard last year? Mookie right?

Who was our 4th guard last year or the year before? Jones? Prior to that who was or 4th guard? Harris?

"when in the course of human events it becomes necessary..."
let me just explain why i want that 4th guard so badly in terms any cuse fan can understand:
1. injury
2. suspension
3. quits the team
4. 6 overtimes
any of the above listed situations have (and most likely will) occur again at some point.
(ok probably not 6 ots but it stands out as a metaphor for crazy foul trouble.)

Who was our 4th guard last year or the year before? Jones? Prior to that who was or 4th guard? Harris?

Exactly right, this year is not the norm it's an aberration. What other year did we have 5 (including Cooney) guards who were capable of being solid big contributors on a top 2 team in the country? I know it's hard to judge kids from the outside looking in but I don't see Cooney MCW or Brandon quitting, being suspended, or there being another 6OT game as Tbone mentioned. As far as injuries go, you can prepare as well as you can but it is an accepted wildcrd and risk every team faces.

"when in the course of human events it becomes necessary..."
let me just explain why i want that 4th guard so badly in terms any cuse fan can understand:
1. injury
2. suspension
3. quits the team
4. 6 overtimes
any of the above listed situations have (and most likely will) occur again at some point.
(ok probably not 6 ots but it stands out as a metaphor for crazy foul trouble.)

again, who has been our 4th guard the past several seasons? also when have all those things happened to one of our 3 guards? be nice to have a 4th but im not stressing over it. jb has played kids 37-38mpg plenty of times.

why would any reasonably talented kid sign up just to be the 4th guard, get limited minutes, and be recruited over almost immediately?

why would any reasonably talented kid sign up just to be the 4th guard, get limited minutes, and be recruited over almost immediately?
Recruiting this 4th guard has to be a huge problem. I believe the staff would love insurance against the things outlined previously but getting it cannot be easy.

I know this year is deep, but it is obviously the exception, not the rule. And even prior to this season I wonder if MCW and JB thought that both Scoop and Dion would be back. I think that may have been unexpected for a lot of people - JB, MCW, and Cooney.

Wait, hold the phone! Kentucky has a 2*?! They must have reached their allotted "bonuses" for that class and needed a filler.

Wait, hold the phone! Kentucky has a 2*?! They must have reached their allotted "bonuses" for that class and needed a filler.

What is Kentucky's percent of <5 star recruits that didn't transfer. If you go to UK as <5 star you will be recruited over.

I would not bring in a fourth guard at this point. On the other hand if we could find a small forward that could handle and develop into an outside shooter, that might be worth doing, but even that spots seems to be full on a go forward - Fair, Dirty and Grant will all vie for minutes there already.

I think it is going to be very hard to find a player that is enough of a talent that it would be worth tying up that scholarship on him and still have him be willing to play fourth guard in what is likely to be a three guard rotation. If you bring someone in you risk that you create a dysfunctional situation because that fourth guard may not be satisfied riding the bench and watching all season when one of those crisis circumstances doesn't play out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom