48-26 | Syracusefan.com

48-26

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
We were out rebounded 48-26. Let me repeat, 48-26. Worst rebounding team in SU history. Throw in our horrible 3 point shooting and you just have a bad team.

Red must turnover the roster to address the rebounding and shooting issues. We cannot go on as a program with these major issues.

Are we the worst rebounding team in the history of P5? It's so pathetic. Fitting to lose on a play we regularly forfeit on the other end, the rebound on missed FT.
Before today’s game we ranked 317 out of 351 teams in rebounding margin. Only P5 teams worse than us were Penn St and Mizzou.

We ranked 214 in 3 point shooting %.

We will fall in both stats after today’s performance.

It’s clear where our massive weaknesses are as a team. Red must address it in the offseason. We will not be successful as a program with such poor performances in two major categories.

We were out rebounded 48-26. Let me repeat, 48-26. Worst rebounding team in SU history. Throw in our horrible 3 point shooting and you just have a bad team.

Red must turnover the roster to address the rebounding and shooting issues. We cannot go on as a program with these major issues.
Can not rebound...can not hit 3 pt shot EQUALS loss!!!!

If we keep the rebounding within 10, we win. How many of their points came off offensive rebounds?

This is why I keep saying we must bring in a rebounding guru coach. There is a cultural aspect that is simply missing from the DNA of this program. Not only are our current coaches incapable - yes, incapable - of teaching rebounding, they have the same cultural defect burned into them as they grew up in this program.

We need somebody like Kelvin Sampson or Tom Izzo (not them specifically, of course but somebody like them) who value the culture of toughness and rebounding to the point that it is the whole put football pads on and whoever comes out of the Thunderdome alive with the ball is the king. Hell even if they are dead - as long as their corpse falls to the ground in possession of the ball, we carry their name and legacy on in our lore for generations. We need somebody like that.

Hell even if they are dead - as long as their corpse falls to the ground in possession of the ball, we carry their name and legacy on in our lore for generations. We need somebody like that.
renee zellweger wow GIF by NETFLIX

This is why I keep saying we must bring in a rebounding guru coach. There is a cultural aspect that is simply missing from the DNA of this program. Not only are our current coaches incapable - yes, incapable - of teaching rebounding, they have the same cultural defect burned into them as they grew up in this program.

We need somebody like Kelvin Sampson or Tom Izzo (not them specifically, of course but somebody like them) who value the culture of toughness and rebounding to the point that it is the whole put football pads on and whoever comes out of the Thunderdome alive with the ball is the king. Hell even if they are dead - as long as their corpse falls to the ground in possession of the ball, we carry their name and legacy on in our lore for generations. We need somebody like that.
Really? A rebounding coach? That would solve the problem with a front court of guard height and Women’s diving weight? Our problem rebounding this year, to me, was summarized last night when Hima gave up a rebound on the missed free throw when we still had a chance. He was in a good position to box out but physically couldn’t hold it.
I lost my mind.

This program has had gaping holes in the roster for a decade. I’m not holding my breath they magically become decent roster managers.

Gee, it's almost like 2 of the guys expected to lead the team in rebounds are no longer with the team. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Red sure should have seen that coming.
What excuse are you going to make next year. Let me guess, injury, transfers, suspension, teams young, Reds only been head coach for two years, bla bla bla. It’s been the same story for 10 years and it will be the same story next year.

Red was the lead recruiter he brought in these guys. The talent evaluation is way off along with player development. And the lack of toughness other than Q is fatal in close games

Infuriating when you realize Yukon has their MOJO going the last few years and we drifted into obscurity after Oliver Luck was finished with us on his retribution conquest.

Gotta give Red 3 seasons though. He better find the right guys outta International, JUCO or Portal this spring/summer.

I’m most concerned with bringing in McLeod who before the injury clearly wasn’t the answer. That move is on Red. I’m really hoping his injury was impacting his play because he looked ineffective out there.

I’m most concerned with bringing in McLeod who before the injury clearly wasn’t the answer. That move is on Red. I’m really hoping his injury was impacting his play because he looked ineffective out there.
Agree. But we’re not a selector. We’re a mediocre program. I think we took who was willing to come to a mediocre program. That’s what mediocre programs do. That’s the problem. Syracuse hoops isn’t Syracuse hoops anymore.

This Freeman kid better be the next coming or we’re screwed. I do not have faith we can fix this through the portal. No one is knocking down doors to play here.

Just making this up based on my Uncle Rico days, but Rebounding is a mix of focus, effort/grit, & 'talent'. A combination of greater focus & effort can beat 'talent' is the point.

We are lacking, on a rotational basis, and depending on the player, from 1-3 of those areas.

Focus equates to things like knowing to box out, tracking the ball, etc. All the ball in the air stuff. The prep work before the rebound.

Effort equates to succeeding in the 50/50 battles. All the after the ball hits the rim stuff. The tip game, getting lower & pushing harder against bigger players, jumping & jumping again when people are pressing against you.

Talent is your height, strength, etc. Only useful if you use it.

Game after game I see opponents blow right by our forwards to get in better position. It doesn't even matter sometimes if we have taller, or even more players near the ball.

The opponent then gets after the ball w purpose. It's pretty bad. Mentally tough, high IQ, chips on their shoulder.

You really can only fix this by recruiting the right kind of players.

Last edited:
Part of the rebounding issue is how guys are utilized.

I think our only two players with plus rebounding skills are Brown and Cope. Both also have great hands and are disrupters up high. Brown, in particular, makes an effort to get back, but the problem is that if he is coming back from up high, there is no way he can get into box out position.

I think Red has to read the games, and if the rebounding deficit gets too brutal, he has to keep those two close to the basket.

What excuse are you going to make next year. Let me guess, injury, transfers, suspension, teams young, Reds only been head coach for two years, bla bla bla. It’s been the same story for 10 years and it will be the same story next year.
Let's move the goalposts. We are talking about this year. You just can't wait to put down next year as well as this year.

Its hard to win the rebounding battle when you start 4 Gs and a thin forward

Not an excuse, just reality. Have to roll with what you have, and the last guys standing are not good at rebounding. But let's not pretend the roster playing was how the roster was constructed in the off season.

The concept of fans who don't give the benefit of the doubt to their own guy (especially in Year 1) is weird to me. I'd be willing to bet Red, Gerry and company know where we need to get better and are doing everything they can to make that happen this year and beyond.

"It will be the same story next year." If you also have lottery numbers, we're all ears.

Let's move the goalposts. We are talking about this year. You just can't wait to put down next year as well as this year.
I hope I’m wrong but the trajectory of this program has been a steady decline that continues today and will more than likely continue into the future seeing how we have changed next to nothing.

Not an excuse, just reality. Have to roll with what you have, and the last guys standing are not good at rebounding. But let's not pretend the roster playing was how the roster was constructed in the off season.

The concept of fans who don't give the benefit of the doubt to their own guy (especially in Year 1) is weird to me. I'd be willing to bet Red, Gerry and company know where we need to get better and are doing everything they can to make that happen this year and beyond.

"It will be the same story next year." If you also have lottery numbers, we're all ears.
I’m not giving them Shyte as I didn’t want them to begin with because of exactly what we are seeing. A continuation of what has become the normal, mediocre to bad basketball.

We had a chance to start over with new coaches with fresh ideas and we didn’t take it. It drives me nuts that we are locked into 3 or 4 years of the same garbage basketball. Hopefully we don’t lose a generation of fans like our football team. 25 years ago no one could have foreseen what would become of the football program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom