Class of 2014 - Recruits and Offers | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Recruits and Offers

If JB had retired 10 years ago, and we took a chance of a coach that cratered the program like Greggers did - the story would be similar.

It takes time to recover - I'd say we're on our way up. Good time to buy stock in Syracuse football.

We have a new staff who seem to really like recruiting, especially Scott who it seems will be a good closer. The other thing besides upgrade in facilities, we never had before, was a really good conference , with a lot more money. The Big East even when we had Miami, and Virginia Tech was still a Basketball conference. Florida St won the national championship, Miami seems on the way back, Clemson finally won a big game, Duke should have beaten Johnny football. We are now in a football conference, and that will make a big difference in recruiting, we just need to win.

I'm going with A because you don't describe what A is correctly and B is a bigger fraud than A. But I agree with many that think this is a good class and one of out better ones in awhile.
I admit I may not fully appreciate of the qualifications of the "experts" at the recruiting services, but you have to admit that their ratings are often questionable. I recall an interview a few years back where some major recruiting guru (like Tom Lemming) admitted he had never even seen 98% of the recruits play in person.
I'm curious why you think the coaching staff evaluations are a fraud?

I admit I may not fully appreciate of the qualifications of the "experts" at the recruiting services, but you have to admit that their ratings are often questionable. I recall an interview a few years back where some major recruiting guru (like Tom Lemming) admitted he had never even seen 98% of the recruits play in person.
I'm curious why you think the coaching staff evaluations are a fraud?

It's not the coaches valuations that are fraud, it's that the offers a kid claims to have isn't any more, and often less, reliable than the rankings/stars.

It's not the coaches valuations that are fraud, it's that the offers a kid claims to have isn't any more, and often less, reliable than the rankings/stars.
I don't get how they can get away with, or why they would take the risk of, lying about offers. For 3 stars and above the rating services pay very careful attention to what offers a kid has and these guys are in contact with the recruiting people at the schools. Seems like it would be pretty easy to figure out when a kid is making up an offer. And it seems like if you want to get that offer from Georgia, you aren't going to make up already having one. Not negating your point, I am sure it could be true - but it seems like you are taking a big pointless risk as a recruit in making up offers...unless it is so widespread that it just doesn't matter.

I don't get how they can get away with, or why they would take the risk of, lying about offers. For 3 stars and above the rating services pay very careful attention to what offers a kid has and these guys are in contact with the recruiting people at the schools. Seems like it would be pretty easy to figure out when a kid is making up an offer. And it seems like if you want to get that offer from Georgia, you aren't going to make up already having one. Not negating your point, I am sure it could be true - but it seems like you are taking a big pointless risk as a recruit in making up offers...unless it is so widespread that it just doesn't matter.

Most offers listed don't come from the school. They come from the kid or HS coach.

Most offers listed don't come from the school. They come from the kid or HS coach.
That was my presumption when I wrote it. I mean why would the kid take the risk of lying when this stuff is so carefully followed And your lie coukd seemingly vwry easily be uncovered. Or is that just standard practice?

You make a good point, but is there any reason to believe that this year's recruits have exaggerated their offers to a greater extent than in past years?

Doin' a little research this morning and found this:

Marshall Zemans ‏@mdzbills1980 17h
@MissyShafer U guys have been a blessing to Syracuse University, this town, & the people of Syracuse. It's so nice 2 see a family like u.

1. Marshall Zemans ‏@mdzbills1980 15h
  2. @Yall_JustMYfans you coming to Cuse for a visit??
#D1Haloti Ngata Jr. ‏@Yall_JustMYfans 12h
@mdzbills1980 yea Friday

Marshall Zemans ‏@mdzbills1980 12h
@Yall_JustMYfans nice. I hope you really like it and feel at home. Playing time soon. A lot of SU Alum in the NFL. We need and want you.

Trumaine W. ‏@NoFlyzoneTru 11h
Syracuse visit with both Uno's This week @CORDYKID1 We bringing 305 to NY❄️ for the weekend

Antwan Cordy ‏@CORDYKID1 11h
I told my mom you better get ready for this cold weather...... snow
Expand Collapse

Cuse DB target Trumaine Washington RT @NoFlyzoneTru: Home visit with #Cuse coaches pic.twitter.com/c63fYc01MQ
Retweeted by Trumaine W.

3:47 PM - 27 Jan 2014 · Details Flag media Flagged (learn more)
Expand Collapse

@MissyShafer U guys have been a blessing to Syracuse University, this town, & the people of Syracuse. It's so nice 2 see a family like u.

@mdzbills1980 yea Friday

@Yall_JustMYfans nice. I hope you really like it and feel at home. Playing time soon. A lot of SU Alum in the NFL. We need and want you.

Trumaine W. ‏@NoFlyzoneTru 11h
Syracuse visit with both Uno's This week @CORDYKID1 We bringing 305 to NY❄️ for the weekend

Antwan Cordy ‏@CORDYKID1 11h
I told my mom you better get ready for this cold weather... snow
Expand Collapse

Cuse DB target Trumaine Washington RT @NoFlyzoneTru: Home visit with #Cuse coaches pic.twitter.com/c63fYc01MQ
Retweeted by Trumaine W.

3:47 PM - 27 Jan 2014 · Details Flag media Flagged (learn more)
Expand Collapse
Anyone want to guess a legit height for TW compared to our two bookends. Have no idea how tall our 2 guys are. IMO, TW looks bigger than 5'9". Could be the locks, lol.

You make a good point, but is there any reason to believe that this year's recruits have exaggerated their offers to a greater extent than in past years?

Since we aren't part of those sites anymore I have no idea really.

@mdzbills1980 yea Friday

Who are these people?

You know what's nice about all this recruiting? The staff is working their arses off. Will it be fruitful? Maybe. Are they working harder than the last staff? Who knows. But what's nice is the fact that the fans are clued in more via twitter so you can appreciate them even when things don't pan out.

That was my presumption when I wrote it. I mean why would the kid take the risk of lying when this stuff is so carefully followed And your lie coukd seemingly vwry easily be uncovered. Or is that just standard practice?
I don't think it's outright lying (although some of that goes on), but a misinterpretation of interest vs. recruiting letters vs. verbal offers vs. written/committable offers. The kids will hear the best case scenario and HS coaches also like to say that their players are involved with the highest levels schools possible. Add in vague wording of questions from the websites and you end up with a big "offer list". And it's in the websites interest to publicize any potential offers because it opens up more fan interest/hits at every teams website, including traffic from other schools fans checking for their competitions stories on the recruit. Plus the colleges can't comment on the players to make any corrections.

Only that the recruiting websites have continued to grow in popularity, resulting in increased competition to get viewers. I'm also seeing way more Twitter-based info than in the past, much of which may be exaggerated or misinterpreted. That said, I still think we are getting more sought-after players this year.

Just because I don't know where else to put this and I think it is a great pic.

BfEmv9iIAAEh7QE.jpg:large

I don't think it's outright lying (although some of that goes on), but a misinterpretation of interest vs. recruiting letters vs. verbal offers vs. written/committable offers. The kids will hear the best case scenario and HS coaches also like to say that their players are involved with the highest levels schools possible. Add in vague wording of questions from the websites and you end up with a big "offer list". And it's in the websites interest to publicize any potential offers because it opens up more fan interest/hits at every teams website, including traffic from other schools fans checking for their competitions stories on the recruit. Plus the colleges can't comment on the players to make any corrections.
Your last sentence is what makes this phenomenon make sense.

Still can't believe how night and day this staff is with its openness to using social media is compared to the previous staff. Great to be at the forefront. Don't see coaches interacting like this anywhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom