Class of 2014 - Recruits and Offers | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Recruits and Offers

Ha, just takes everyone saying no thanks.

mr-bill.jpg

With what's left out there, I don't see anyway that we end up in the top 50 in recruiting. We can say how great a class this is, but it's not going to get the job done to get in the upper level of the ACC. It's better than what we've been doing, but it's not where we need to go. McDonald and White can tweet all they want, but we need to get a lot better.

With what's left out there, I don't see anyway that we end up in the top 50 in recruiting. We can say how great a class this is, but it's not going to get the job done to get in the upper level of the ACC. It's better than what we've been doing, but it's not where we need to go. McDonald and White can tweet all they want, but we need to get a lot better.
Someone, please tell me which site has the most accurate and unbiased evaluation of football talent rankings by team? I'd like to have one place to look vs wondering what's real and not real amongst a cocktail of options based on each teams number of paying subscribers...allegedly.

hoopsupstate said:

If you thought we'd be competing with FSU and Clemson right out if the gate in recruiting and on the field - the problem is with your expectations, not this recruiting class.

It's a pretty good improvement over where we've been and we finished 3rd in our division, so I'm buying what they are selling.

I'm sorry - but you are ridiculous. SU is probably never going to be in the top 25 in recruiting rankings (they may sneak in once in awhile and will get into the top 50 - but does it matter when the ranking is biased, is based on total number of recruits, and changes on whims - Williams was a 3 last year and is now a 2 which is enough in the averages to bounce SU up or down multiple spots).

This class is top notch and SU won more kids away from quality programs than it has in years (many years and not even close).

Upper level of ACC like Clemson and FSU? You are dreaming if you think SU will ever recruit to their level. But if they can back to recruiting a mix of higher ranked kids with the best "also rans" that work hard they will be ok. Half the SU guys in the late 80s and 90s who made it to the NFL were "nobodies" in the HS recruiting world when they were in HS.

If you have not noticed, the basketball team - while landing gems - continues to win by mixing 3/4 year guys with the "stars". There are many ways to get to the Top 20 and SU football is probably never going to do it with top 20 recruiting classes. But in the end - who cares? Every kid in this class wants to be here, is passionate and is someone I can root for and in the end, isn't that what is important?

Last edited:
I'm sorry - but you are ridiculous. SU is never going to be in the top 25 in recruiting rankings (they will get into the top 50 - but does it matter when the ranking is biased, is based on total number of recruits, and changes on whims - Williams was a 3 last year and is now a 2 which is enough in the averages to bounce SU up or down multiple spots).

This class is top notch and SU won more kids away from quality programs than it has in years (many years and not even close).

Upper level of ACC like Clemson and FSU? You are dreaming if you think SU will ever recruit to their level. But if they can back to recruiting a mix of higher ranked kids with the best "also rans" that work hard they will be ok. Half the SU guys in the late 80s and 90s who made it to the NFL were "nobodies" in the HS recruiting world when they were in HS.

If you have not noticed, the basketball team - while landing gems - continues to win by mixing 3/4 year guys with the "stars". There are many ways to get to the Top 20 and SU football is probably never going to do it with top 20 recruiting classes. But in the end - who cares? Every kid in this class wants to be here, is passionate and is someone I can root for and in the end, isn't that what is important?
I partially disagree. With a little more sustained success on the field, and more time for this coaching staff, there is no reason why they can't get a top 25 class. If Rutgers can do it in the Big East, Syracuse can do it in the ACC.

It's a process. Don't see why syracuse can't get top 25 classes consistently. But it won't happen overnight.

Huge difference between bball recruiting and football you obviously know the top players for bball. In football once you get past to 50 players it's a crap shoot. Rutgirls is ranked higher than us in football, would anybody want to switch recruiting classes with them? We have significantly improved recruiting this yr and if we could win7 or 8 games with lesser talent, we should consistently be able to win at least 7 games with an uptick in recruiting.

Here's a novel concept - why don't we assess the class AFTER the recruiting cycle is over?

the older i get the less i worry about stars and rankings of class's -
the jones boys mike williams bromley ect ect efnn ect-
let the coach's get the kids they want

Someone, please tell me which site has the most accurate and unbiased evaluation of football talent rankings by team? I'd like to have one place to look vs wondering what's real and not real amongst a cocktail of options based on each teams number of paying subscribers...allegedly.
I think looking at "average stars" helps in your evaluation. There are a bunch of schools rated higher than SU based on quantity and some have a lower average star rating.

Honestly, the answer Is the first post in this thread. Look at some of the name programs that have offered our commits and the amount of them.

We have 0 kids where we were their only option and 3 where we were the only bcs official offers. Rodney was a kid that camped and the coaches offered immediately, Nas had other schools come in but turned them away immediately so was never offered, and Erv committed early and proceeded to put up rediculous numbers this year so have to feel pretty good about them as well.

Last edited:
Honestly, the answer Is the first post in this thread. Look at some of the name programs that have offered our commits and the amount of them.
That's what I go by, and is the notable difference between this class and most classes in recent years.
What it boils down to is whose evaluation do you trust more?
(a) A 20-something string writer who probably never played football beyond high school (if at all), and who may be a schill for a specific school, or
(b) the experienced coaching staff at a major program, whose jobs ultimately depend on their ability to identify and recruit talent.

You do need to wait to see how it plays out, but you can't deny we're near the very bottom of the ACC in football recruiting. Don't ever try to compare football to basketball recruiting. If SU hoops every brought in a 3 star player this board would go crazy. I can't remember the last 3 star recruit hoops SU brought in. I'm not saying our recruits can't become really good players, but none of them will come in and set the world on fire. If we keep getting 3 star players and the rest of the league keeps getting threes, fours and fives, we'll never catch up. I'm not into getting clubbed by Clemson, FSU and GT every year.

You do need to wait to see how it plays out, but you can't deny we're near the very bottom of the ACC in football recruiting. Don't ever try to compare football to basketball recruiting. If SU hoops every brought in a 3 star player this board would go crazy. I can't remember the last 3 star recruit hoops SU brought in. I'm not saying our recruits can't become really good players, but none of them will come in and set the world on fire. If we keep getting 3 star players and the rest of the league keeps getting threes, fours and fives, we'll never catch up. I'm not into getting clubbed by Clemson, FSU and GT every year.

Well you won't have to worry about GT as we don't play them every year and if you think that every other team in the conference is getting all four and five star players...Oh Lord

there is a huge difference in a 3star bball and a 3star fball. in bball its hard for the best player to not control the game and to be seen. in fball you can be the best player on the field and not have any effect on the game . if you are a great corner and the other team never throws it who knows? fball has so many players who develop so late that many never get to show it.

i know 1 thing i am more excited with our perceived "lowest rated" guy then almost anyone else. i wouldn't trade Dowels over anyone in this current class, and he is low 3 star at Rivalz, NR at Skout, and 71 at ESPN

Same goes for Ishmael when we eventually land him

Well, if you're ok with Pinstripe Bowls and Texas Bowl wins than you should be happy with 3 star recruits. Check the BCS bowl teams and you will see a lot of 4 and 5 star players. I guess it just depends what you think is being successful. It's like comparing the NIT to the NCAA in hoops.

Do you mean 3-stars (Ryvals) players like Keita and Cooney or Obokoh and Patterson (Scout).

Unlike you, I'll leave the talent evaluations to HCSS, JAB and their staffs rather than subscription scouting services.

2 new offers to DTs. Guess Rodney was a bit of a surprise today.

They are all contributers on a good team, but what would we be if they were you're highest rated players? Three of the four were redshirted and the fourth was rejected by a lousy Indiana team. I do think Patterson can be a good player. My point is that you can be successful with some three star players, but you better have some "major league" stars to go with them. SU football still doesn't have any WOW players. Hopefully, in time it will happen. I still don't see one in this year's football recruiting class. Some real good prospects, but no superstars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom