Red: Everyone is back that is not in the portal | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Red: Everyone is back that is not in the portal

1.6 per season... 30% of our starters for the last 15 years played virtually every minute.

It's hard to wrap your mind around a bit.
And 30% of that 30% weren’t even all that good….

Lets focus on November 2023 and December 2023 Games rather than going back 15 years. (But thank you for the information).

One thought on the high minutes is that we were not as talented top to bottom over those years as before. Hence, best players played more minutes as we needed to win, rather than having our 2nd unit close out blowouts in November and December.

Losing an All ACC Center hurts. I'd like to think our incoming Soph/Junior class has something to prove.

One issue is that now we have no-one on the roster that has been to the NCAA's. We have a new coach. My reasoning is that I'd like to give this team Nov/Dec to shape up and show us what they are capable of in early season. All of the returning players have had breakout games more than once during the season. We have seen that they can contribute when brining their "A GAME". If these players become more consistent in their contribution, we can only improve. The Center Position troubles me as we lack game experience there. Otherwise this will be a guard centric team with I hope significant increase in production from the forwards. That has been SU's mantra for years. Guards and Small Forwards drive the boat.

Go CUSE.

I think if you're going to go to portal for an upgrade, it's for a clear upgrade, like a top 5 or 10 player at a position. A guy like that is going to demand a marquee role. And if he is that good, don't you want him in as much as possible?
So you only portal if it's a top 5 or 10 guy? What if the guy you have is 30th or 40th at his position? You don't grab the 25th best guy, if you can?

Do you want a guy in as much as possible if it means he can't give maximum effort all of the time or if you have to artificially slow the pace of the game to keep guys fresh? You saw my post about the player of the year semifinalists. Why didn't more of those guys play bigger minutes? Shouldn't they all have played 38 min/game? How did UConn win a NC with nobody averaging over 30 min/game? How is Houston a 1 seed with their leading guy averaging 32.6 min/game and only two guys playing more than 30? Alabama had one guy at 32.6 and nobody else over 30. Purdue is similar. Kansas was the exception amongst the 1 seeds with 4 guys averging over 30 and one guy at 35.

It just isn't true that elite guys demand minutes like you claim they do. They want a major role, but that doesn't have to mean 35 min/game. And even more, they want to win. A guy would rather go 35-2 while playing 32 min than be 25-12 at 37 min. If he wouldn't, then he sounds selfish, and I don't think that we want him.

Last edited:
So you only portal if it's a top 5 or 10 guy? What if the guy you have is 30th or 40th at his position? You don't grab the 25th best guy, if you can?

Do you want a guy in as much as possible if it means he can't give maximum effort all of the time or if you have to artificially slow the pace of the game to keep guys fresh? You saw my post about the player of the year semifinalists. Why didn't more of those guys play bigger minutes? Shouldn't they all have played 38 min/game? How did UConn win a NC with nobody averaging over 30 min/game? How is Houston a 1 seed with their leading guy averaging 32.6 min/game and only two guys playing more than 30? Alabama had one guy at 32.6 and nobody else over 30. Purdue is similar. Kansas was the exception amongst the 1 seeds with 4 guys averging over 30 and one guy at 35.

It just isn't true that elite guys demand minutes like you claim they do. They want a major role, but that doesn't have to mean 35 min/game. And even more, they want to win. A guy would rather go 35-2 while playing 32 min than be 25-12 at 37 min. If he wouldn't, then he sounds selfish, and I don't think that we want him.
My point was and is that if Red wants to roll with the team he's got, I support him. If he wants to get players from the portal, I support his decision. I don't see any benefit to him or the program to create some story that he isn't doing things the right way by people here and other places.

My point was and is that if Red wants to roll with the team he's got, I support him. If he wants to get players from the portal, I support his decision. I don't see any benefit to him or the program to create some story that he isn't doing things the right way by people here and other places.
Red is in a very tough spot. Trying to save a dying program with limit resources in a highly competitive, ever changing landscape. He’s got his work cut out for him. He needs to find some kind of NIL strategy that will make the program competitive, otherwise his outcome is already set in stone.

Red is in a very tough spot. Trying to save a dying program with limit resources in a highly competitive, ever changing landscape. He’s got his work cut out for him. He needs to find some kind of NIL strategy that will make the program competitive, otherwise his outcome is already set in stone.
Yes. How can you hold him accountable when he is not able to use the portal to its best benefit.

This is on JW if things roll out as it appears it is going to.

I feel for the staff, they are now in a no win situation.
Without a strong NIL presence you have no chance in sustaining long term success.
This is exactly what the SEC, and Big 10 wanted, within 7 or 8 years they will be the only ones left.
I don't expect the ACC to last through their GOR. The Big 10 and SEC have all the chips, and there might be 40 to 50 schools playing major college football and basketball. Don't see SU as being one of them.

I feel for the staff, they are now in a no win situation.
Without a strong NIL presence you have no chance in sustaining long term success.
This is exactly what the SEC, and Big 10 wanted, within 7 or 8 years they will be the only ones left.
I don't expect the ACC to last through their GOR. The Big 10 and SEC have all the chips, and there might be 40 to 50 schools playing major college football and basketball. Don't see SU as being one of them.
Ehh we can win in basketball. UConn wins in the American and watered down Big East. Our Admins are not helping though at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom