Red: Everyone is back that is not in the portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Red: Everyone is back that is not in the portal

Um, Bell is the sniper. He shot the ball really well for a freshman. The big question with him is can he do anything else. He needs to improve his rebounding, defense, dribbling and driving.
How does someone play major D1 basketball and can't do any of the aforementioned? This isn't a shot at you btw. It's damning the lack of skill present at this level.

How does someone play major D1 basketball and can't do any of the aforementioned? This isn't a shot at you btw. It's damning the lack of skill present at this level.
I think guys can, but it's all relative. You take a low level D1 guy and have him play against D3 guys and he looks like a superstar. You have him play against high level D1 talent and skill and he looks like he doesn't belong.

Last edited:
the percentage of the human population that is tall enough to play this sport (aside from maybe PG) at this level is less than 1%

the percentage of the population that would play NCAABB if given the opportunity is much higher than 1%

most of these NCAA players are there not because they are excpetionally skilled in any absolute sense...

they are where they are due to genetic gifts. and the fact that those genetic gifts are significant enough to be able to out-compete higher skilled players who lack such gifts.

they dont hadn out scholarships based on some kind of skills test.

so yeah obviously they all need to work on their skills.

Um, Bell is the sniper. He shot the ball really well for a freshman. The big question with him is can he do anything else. He needs to improve his rebounding, defense, dribbling and driving.
The concerning part to me is the last sentence could also be applied to Benny, and when 40% of your starters need to improve on those 4 things.....we need to hit the portal.

I think guys can, but it's all relative. You take a low level D1 guy and have him play against D3 guys and he looks like a superstar. You have him play against high level D1 talent and skill and he looks like he doesn't belong.
I don't even think you need to go to D3. D2 is almost a different sport and lower D1 conferences house a lot of mediocre players who are just warm bodies.

A .500 team made up of mostly the same players except for the best ones is going to be a hard sell to the fan base after the last 10 years.
The "fan base" needs to give the new head coach a chance to implement his plan. Boeheim is gone, time to support Red.

The "fan base" needs to give the new head coach a chance to implement his plan. Boeheim is gone, time to support Red.
Good luck with that. Fans have suffered through a decade of next year!

This was the core argument against going in-house. People started voting with their wallets the last couple of seasons and Red, fairly or not, has a lot of pressure. After a brief and intense flurry of activity and rumors, it's certainly slowed up and seems more focused on HSers in 2024 - which is geologic time in the current basketball environment.

People need to be optimistic, but that's a direct reflection of the program.

i get it that running it back is not a great idea...i agree 100%

but the way you phrased your post is that you seem to think that is what is going on

and if you have been paying attention that doesnt seem to be the idea

why have they already brought in jj?

why did they tell joe to kick rocks? and sy and jon bol?

why is hicks visiting?

why are there other rumored players etc?

they arent running it back. obviously. if you pay attention.

even though it is pretty vague on exactly what they are going to be doing

which is how it should be!

the biggest advatnage they have now is opponents cannot scout them or prep for them

JB got to the point that non eof his adjustments surprised anyone and everyone alredy had a gameplan ready to detroy his schemes

i actually dont think talent was an issue at all last season

i think it was transparency of the coaching approach

so...as much as I want to know what red is gonna do...i really hope he doesnt tell anyone.
JB was trying to fit Square pegs into round holes.

This was the core argument against going in-house. People started voting with their wallets the last couple of seasons and Red, fairly or not, has a lot of pressure. After a brief and intense flurry of activity and rumors, it's certainly slowed up and seems more focused on HSers in 2024 - which is geologic time in the current basketball environment.

Well.. not to mention seeing a bit of passive aggressive skepticism and criticism towards Red from certain folks who were upset over criticism of JB. A subtle revenge tour of sorts...

skepticism and criticism towards Red from certain folks who were upset over criticism of JB
eh- I think there was/is as much or more coming from JB detractors who've convinced themselves and need to try and convince others that any remaining connection to JB is doomed to failure

I don't even think you need to go to D3. D2 is almost a different sport and lower D1 conferences house a lot of mediocre players who are just warm bodies.
I agree you don't have to go that low. I do think the warm body comment is a little strong though. They're warm bodies compared to what we see on national TV, but they'd likely dominate against lesser competition. I've played pick up with some D3 guys that would've made me think they were elite, if I didn't know better.

eh- I think there was/is as much or more coming from JB detractors who've convinced themselves and need to try and convince others that any remaining connection to JB is doomed to failure
I'm certainly not in the "doomed to failure" camp, but Red's honeymoon period is going to be short. He has to come out guns blazing to change the narrative around this program. Picking up a local kid combined with basically running back the same team from last season definitely without one of, and likely without at least two of, the three best scorers from last season is a little underwhelming.

Completely agree with this take. Most of the teams we played knew exactly how to attack our defense. Offensively we had a very young team minus Jesse and Joe.
A lot of people criticize Bell and Taylor. Both were four star recruits. Benny was a five star. Clearly Bell and Taylor were adjusting to the college level with a coach that had a quick hook. Benny needs a sports psychologist to get mentally ready after the last two seasons. Hopefully the same one that work with Switzer.
We have a lot of good pieces. We have already added another in Starling. We have to wait on Mintz and Jesse.
I am fully confident AA will do what he can to fill any needs. As I said what he can. He cannot force a player to come and must compete with other teams on NIL which he does not control.
There are questions but I am excited to see the team this coming season.
i get it that running it back is not a great idea...i agree 100%

but the way you phrased your post is that you seem to think that is what is going on

and if you have been paying attention that doesnt seem to be the idea

why have they already brought in jj?

why did they tell joe to kick rocks? and sy and jon bol?

why is hicks visiting?

why are there other rumored players etc?

they arent running it back. obviously. if you pay attention.

even though it is pretty vague on exactly what they are going to be doing

which is how it should be!

the biggest advatnage they have now is opponents cannot scout them or prep for them

JB got to the point that non eof his adjustments surprised anyone and everyone alredy had a gameplan ready to detroy his schemes

i actually dont think talent was an issue at all last season

i think it was transparency of the coaching approach

so...as much as I want to know what red is gonna do...i really hope he doesnt tell anyone.
e

If Red were to go out and sign the kind of players that people are clamoring for at the 3 and 4, those guys are going to want 35+- mpg. That would leave very little time for the current players and would put the team in the same situation next year. It also would send a signal to high school players that Syracuse is going to use the portal and would make it difficult to get any HS recruits. It's a strategy for roster development.

If Red were to go out and sign the kind of players that people are clamoring for at the 3 and 4, those guys are going to want 35+- mpg. That would leave very little time for the current players and would put the team in the same situation next year. It also would send a signal to high school players that Syracuse is going to use the portal and would make it difficult to get any HS recruits. It's a strategy for roster development.
We've been playing the wrong guys 35+ mpg for the last decade. I'm ok with changing that to playing the right players 35 mpg.

Welcome to big time D1 basketball. This ain't Lehigh.

I'm ready for a strategy for winning. If that means upgrading over current players so be it.
Welcome to college basketball buddy.

Did most of the elite guys for the really good teams average 35+ minutes per game this year?

Did most of the elite guys for the really good teams average 35+ minutes per game this year?

Attachments

• 1025EFC8-469E-478D-BCAE-A88365199A64.png
    1025EFC8-469E-478D-BCAE-A88365199A64.png
    310 KB · Views: 78
Wow, that's how you build a roster where you can go 8 even 9 deep in tournament games.

That USE to be the way to do it and I think it worked pretty well for JB but you can't anymore. You have to have bench, you have to have fresh bodies and have options when kids get hot or cold.

I thought everyone acknowledged after last year that it takes portal guys to win games in the new landscape. Let's not be Blockbuster after Red Box and streaming came about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom