Red: Everyone is back that is not in the portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Red: Everyone is back that is not in the portal

Not to be the Debbie downer here… but If we really are running it back from last year minus Joe and plus a JJ then I have significant concerns about the Autry era. Not that it can’t work, but we are betting on player improvement while other big programs are upgrading with known players via free agency. Is this a conscious choice by Autry or do we just not have the funds to compete? Yes I know we got the #1 transfer guy, but we we also have hometown discount working for us…

I’ll withhold judgement as I have no inside knowledge but as others have pointed out we are a guard and a forward short unless two of Copeland or Taylor or Bell take a BIG step up.

Not to be the Debbie downer here… but If we really are running it back from last year minus Joe and plus a JJ then I have significant concerns about the Autry era. Not that it can’t work, but we are betting on player improvement while other big programs are upgrading with known players via free agency. Is this a conscious choice by Autry or do we just not have the funds to compete? Yes I know we got the #1 transfer guy, but we we also have hometown discount working for us…

I’ll withhold judgement as I have no inside knowledge but as others have pointed out we are a guard and a forward short unless two of Copeland or Taylor or Bell take a BIG step up.
You realize there’s a recruiting board you can go to, right?

If Red said everyone is back who's not in the portal, but neglected to except possibly the most important player, Jesse, because he could graduate, then he's a terrible talker. And I don't think that's the case. I agree it's unclear, but I have to think he wouldn't have made such a broad statement if one of the two guys everyone's holding their breath for wasn't included within that statement.

Too late.

I don't think we're done.

If Red said everyone is back who's not in the portal, but neglected to except possibly the most important player, Jesse, because he could graduate, then he's a terrible talker. And I don't think that's the case. I agree it's unclear, but I have to think he wouldn't have made such a broad statement if one of the two guys everyone's holding their breath for wasn't included within that statement.
It was intentionally broad and vague. Basically stated no other guys will enter the portal but still left the pro options open for Judah and Jesse (Europe pro ball). Sounds like Jesse isn’t pursuing pro ball right now because he’s comfortable at SU (reading between the lines).

Yeah there has been nothing to indicate that but conjecture. Also the portal commits have been mostly a slow drip. It's not like guys are flying off the board. I kind of prefer using the behind the scenes relationships and having less out out there in the open. Only fan greed and the obsessive need to know is the current issue as it generates doubt and panic.

I don’t mean to step on Day2 ‘s toes.

But

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory Tantrum GIF

Red was the assistant head coach and in charge of recruiting since Hop left. I think Boeheim largely let his assistant head coaches get the talent they wanted. So, the players on this team are Reds players and he believes in them and wants to go forward with them.

Last edited:
If Judah returns we have 3 players that can score. In addition Bell, Copeland, and Benny will most likely improve.
What we lack is a pure sniper. Maybe Bell and Taylor become the 3 point threats. If we can land a top notch forward a true 3 who can put it on the deck and hit from the three we will be in good shape. Bell needs to work on his handle and maybe he becomes more than a spot up player. No team has everything but we have enough to go dancing

I agree.

I think John Wildhack has the same concerns about roster management many of us on the board have had in recent years.

I believe he has had in depth conversations with Red about how he would manage things if he were the HC and got the answers he was looking for.

We have already what in my mind is a big and key departure from the latter part of the JAB era when Coach Straughn was hired. These days, if you want to recruit well, you gotta have young guys on the staff with close ties to big time AAU programs.

We have already seen Coach Autry say we will not be a 2-3 team exclusively in the future.

I have seen Syracuse be uncharacteristically fast and aggressive working the portal with the early grab of JJ. We expressing strong interest in a number of other transfers and I feel certain we will take at least 2 more this recruiting period.

If Coach Autry is content to sit out recruiting the portal after getting JJ, I would be alarmed. I just see no indication this is the case.

Last edited:
Obviously, things can change at anytime but as of right now, we have everyone back that is supposed to be here

Theres so many hedges and qualifiers here as to render the statement completely meaningless.
We are who we are until we aren’t

If Judah returns we have 3 players that can score. In addition Bell, Copeland, and Benny will most likely improve.
What we lack is a pure sniper. Maybe Bell and Taylor become the 3 point threats. If we can land a top notch forward a true 3 who can put it on the deck and hit from the three we will be in good shape. Bell needs to work on his handle and maybe he becomes more than a spot up player. No team has everything but we have enough to go dancing
Um, Bell is the sniper. He shot the ball really well for a freshman. The big question with him is can he do anything else. He needs to improve his rebounding, defense, dribbling and driving.

Um, Bell is the sniper. He shot the ball really well for a freshman. The big question with him is can he do anything else. He needs to improve his rebounding, defense, dribbling and driving.
People seem to forget that Benny Williams shot better from three than Bell in and out of conference play. So did Taylor, for that matter, who rang up 40.5% from three in conference play.

Yeah, shooting percentage was pretty decent for our guys. However, they were kinda one trick ponies. If Bell, Benny, and JT can do other things (i.e. rebounding/driving), shooting it around 40% will do quite nicely.

Coach Red and staff are resurrecting our program; now we need players to rise to that level!​

FB2A2FF6-CE5A-4068-B8B4-7AE87DF8F3EA.jpeg

saying everyones back is referencing which players from last year's roster are returning...tht that process has run its course.

it isnt saying next years team is aleady complete

some people need to seriously learn to read and practice reading comp etc

saying everyones back is referencing which players from last year's roster are returning...tht that process has run its course.

it isnt saying next years team is aleady complete

some people need to seriously learn to read and practice reading comp etc
I actually usually aced the reading comprehension stuff back in the day. In fact my proudest academic 4th grade achievement was reading at an 8th grade level.

Speaking of reading comprehension, if you read my last paragraph it starts with “I’ll withhold judgment”… I.e it’s too early to judge.

This is a message board… if we aren’t speculating about ifs and buts and whethers what are we supposed to talk about until November?

I actually usually aced the reading comprehension stuff back in the day. In fact my proudest academic 4th grade achievement was reading at an 8th grade level.

Speaking of reading comprehension, if you read my last paragraph it starts with “I’ll withhold judgment”… I.e it’s too early to judge.

This is a message board… if we aren’t speculating about ifs and buts and whethers what are we supposed to talk about until November?
I think the problem we all face is that we have no context with which to speculate. Red has been sufficiently vague about his defense and offense and we still don’t know what players will actually be on the team.

So in the meantime, let’s chat about everything but.

i get it that running it back is not a great idea...i agree 100%

but the way you phrased your post is that you seem to think that is what is going on

and if you have been paying attention that doesnt seem to be the idea

why have they already brought in jj?

why did they tell joe to kick rocks? and sy and jon bol?

why is hicks visiting?

why are there other rumored players etc?

they arent running it back. obviously. if you pay attention.

even though it is pretty vague on exactly what they are going to be doing

which is how it should be!

the biggest advatnage they have now is opponents cannot scout them or prep for them

JB got to the point that non eof his adjustments surprised anyone and everyone alredy had a gameplan ready to detroy his schemes

i actually dont think talent was an issue at all last season

i think it was transparency of the coaching approach

so...as much as I want to know what red is gonna do...i really hope he doesnt tell anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom