Red grade so far | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Red grade so far

So, weird thought here. We all noted that many, if not most, head coaches consult with their assistants during games. JB never did. Think that was a detriment to Red as he starts his HC career?

So, weird thought here. We all noted that many, if not most, head coaches consult with their assistants during games. JB never did. Think that was a detriment to Red as he starts his HC career?
Would give him a c-, he needs to take care of the Benny problem before the 2nd semester.
Keeping a problem child around can't be good for the team.

Honestly, it's still too early. There have been some challenges, like Benny's apparent flame-out, injuries to Westry, Cuffe and maybe Hima limiting the rotation.

I think we have to show more grit, more toughness on defense. We have shown it in flashes, that this team can be really really good. But we have to do it for more than 10 or 15 minutes a game.

My out of conference prediction was 7-4, so I agree that people had lofty expectations if they thought we would have a better record than that. I’m surprised how immature we look and that this Benny thing has gone downhill the way it has. I didn’t expect miracles from him, but I did expect he would mature. Bell and Taylor have shown progress, so that reflects well on Red.

A very fair post. I agree. Some people on the team have clearly grown as players. There are a lot of things to like, but some fundamentals are still lacking.

I think this year being his first the grade most appropriate is Pass (P) or Fail (F). So at end of season if we make it to the NCAA's Grade P ==> Pass. Otherwise an F==>Fail.

Number of folks made a point about attempting to understand how this team plays after years of watching JB. I bet 95% of the posters here knew while watching the game when a player is going to get pulled even before JB turned to the wench and waved at a sub. (LOL).

So currently grade is INC ==>Incomplete and waiting for the final result. 8-3 in OOC and 13-7 In ACC play would be enough to get to the Dance. I'm rooting for Red to get a P.

Go CUSE.

I think this year being his first the grade most appropriate is Pass (P) or Fail (F). So at end of season if we make it to the NCAA's Grade P ==> Pass. Otherwise an F==>Fail.

Number of folks made a point about attempting to understand how this team plays after years of watching JB. I bet 95% of the posters here knew while watching the game when a player is going to get pulled even before JB turned to the wench and waved at a sub. (LOL).

So currently grade is INC ==>Incomplete and waiting for the final result. 8-3 in OOC and 13-7 In ACC play would be enough to get to the Dance. I'm rooting for Red to get a P.

Go CUSE.
I would be thrilled if we made the Dance, but I am not expecting it. Time will tell.

Go CUSE.
JB always knew exactly when to turn to his wench.

I think it's ridiculous to grade a coach 9 games into what is a multi year commitment. But everyone else is jumping off this bridge so I guess I will too.

I'll give him an A

Watching the first game I knew they were going to get blown out in Hawaii
I wanted 2 things from them after that, #1 to go into Hawaii undefeated and #2 to continue to fight and improve and not look defeated after they got humbled. They have definitely done both. And they even punched above their weight against two top 10 teams.

There was excitement about the team going into the year, but of I told you they wouldn't have either Benny or Chance and Starling would be the worst 2 guard in the
ACC everybody would have signed up for 6-3. I would have signed up for 6-3 anyway. Tennessee, Gonzaga and at Virgina are 3 really tough games to win with a new coach and system.

This team has some limitations that males them easy to gameplan for. Red has a big job keeping us winning. If he can figure it out and keep the team fighting he has my confidence.

Some shotgun reactions.

Too early to grade Red. The team seems to show bursts of progress but has moments of slipping backwards. The Benny situation must be resolved. Agree with "baggerbob"... resolve it before we start the ACC portion of our schedule. Wish folks could just accept that Jesse and Joe are gone. Let's stop commenting on how much we miss them. Finally. develop one play and practice it daily if needed. Pass the ball to McLeod, keep it high, turn and drop it in the basket. Practice, practice, practice!!!

I think it's ridiculous to grade a coach 9 games into what is a multi year commitment. But everyone else is jumping off this bridge so I guess I will too.

I'll give him an A

Watching the first game I knew they were going to get blown out in Hawaii
I wanted 2 things from them after that, #1 to go into Hawaii undefeated and #2 to continue to fight and improve and not look defeated after they got humbled. They have definitely done both. And they even punched above their weight against two top 10 teams.

There was excitement about the team going into the year, but of I told you they wouldn't have either Benny or Chance and Starling would be the worst 2 guard in the
ACC everybody would have signed up for 6-3. I would have signed up for 6-3 anyway. Tennessee, Gonzaga and at Virgina are 3 really tough games to win with a new coach and system.

This team has some limitations that males them easy to gameplan for. Red has a big job keeping us winning. If he can figure it out and keep the team fighting he has my confidence.
Good post.

I think so many people are caught up in this win now thing, and yeah we know the issues, and I'm not debating that, but if you really look at what Red is doing, you understand coaching. He's creating his culture. He's establishing and building relationships with the players, individually. He's holding them accountable, not throwing the towel in on them yet and building trust.

Not only are the current players watching this, any potential transfer down the line will look at this too. How did he treat players? Just giving up on a kid, kicking him to the curb, throwing him under the bus or putting him on blast to the fans, isn’t acceptable and not how a good coach coaches. Just running kids to/from portal every year will catch up to the coach and program and is not the answer. We use the portal strategically and we will have to develop some talent, it’s not something that’s completed 9 games into most of their soph seasons FCOL.

Most importantly, he's putting the onus on them, the players.

This is what I ask, playing time is based on you doing these things, I'm going to give you an opportunity and if you are improving, making the effort, you'll be alright. If not, we have to move on with no hard feelings. Love it.

Were they losses or lessons? Time will tell.

I've seen signs that he is trying to show them new ways, tactics, positioning, etc. I see it because they show it for maybe 5 or 10 minutes at a time in games, and then revert back to (mostly) bad habits.

I've seen signs that he is trying to show them new ways, tactics, positioning, etc. I see it because they show it for maybe 5 or 10 minutes at a time in games, and then revert back to (mostly) bad habits.
Agree, you can see they are recognizing when they make mistakes which is a start, fixing them is next. Old habits die hard, first place they go when uncomfortable.

I get it, I do. I want Red to succeed and I'm rooting for him. Again, he recruited and has coached these guys. They may not have been his first choices, but he had to know what he was going to be working with this season. My assumption is that he wanted JJ and Chance out of HS, didn't get them, but now he has them.

It just sucks that the rebuild didn't start (much) earlier. I get the issues, but in the time of NIL and insta-transfers, it shouldn't take 3-4 years to assemble a capable roster. And I don't want it to stretch to 14-15 years for SU to be in the top-25 again during conference play. So yeah, I'm impatient. I'm OK with that. I still have my seasons and I still donate.

We pick on Hurley, but it took him just a season to right the ship there, he already has a natty and he's top-5 again this season. Tommy Lloyd has had Arizona in the top-5 each of his first three seasons. It took Porter Moser a couple of seasons, but it looks like he has OK clicking after Lon Kruger retired. I just hope the suffering is as short as possible.
It took Hurley until his third season at UConn to get going. He had a losing season his first year and a mediocre record his second. No NCAA tourney either year.

It took Hurley until his third season at UConn to get going. He had a losing season his first year and a mediocre record his second. No NCAA tourney either year.
Bingo. Needs to have a few recruiting cycles to implement his whole vision. I am happy to have Red

A
Inherited a mess. And had an excellent off season.
New man D is doing well
Kids playing hard
Team is improving
Rotations improving
I think Reds a home run.

At this point, a B grade for Red. But, it really is too early to make a fair assessment/judgement. It will take at least 2 years for Red to develop his style and recruit "his" players. But, if we want to pass judgment so early, I would grade him a B if we end the season at 500. An A if we make the tournament (even if we get bounced in the 1st round).

A Hubert Davis like start is rare, and how has he fared since?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom