Red grade so far | Syracusefan.com

Red grade so far

Cuse44

Walk On
- 2 top players gone from last yr
- 3 of top 6 starting this yr are FAR from what we all thought they would be

Benny is non existent very much not coaches fault
Westry MIA (obviously hurt)
JJ shell of expectations (primarily his shot)

I give him a very solid grade to his start against a very difficult schedule getting this team to 6-3

Soph class is improved across the board and he has them playing hard for the most part.

Too soon to be giving him a grade, but the fan base is working on a really challenging pop quiz for him later this week, so he better be ready. This will count for 20% of his final grade.

Grading on a Pass/Fail basis it’s a Pass. No unexpected losses. A tossup coming in against LSU in the win column. No momentum shifting wins. 3 losses were ugly against upper echelon teams, but we were competitive in two of the three and I don’t award style points.

- 2 top players gone from last yr
- 3 of top 6 starting this yr are FAR from what we all thought they would be

Benny is non existent very much not coaches fault
Westry MIA (obviously hurt)
JJ shell of expectations (primarily his shot)

I give him a very solid grade to his start against a very difficult schedule getting this team to 6-3

Soph class is improved across the board and he has them playing hard for the most part.
C, with potential to climb or fall. Grading on a curve if we squeak into the tournament.

He evaluated and recruited Naheem, Starling, and Cuffe. 'Nuff said.

Naheem is a major project. That's your Jesse replacement?

Starling does not shoot well. That's your Joe replacement?

Cuffe tries, but clearly something is lacking.

Judah was a stud last year, and is a stud this year. His shooting has improved a little, but how about other areas of his game?

What is the team plan, the strategy? Its hard to see. Seems we flash for 5-8 a game than sorta falter.

The assistant coaches don't seem engaged, or at least not last night.

Bell has improved, and is improving.

Taylor is decent and hopefully getting better.

We'll see how it plays out

C+. Meeting expectations so far for a first year coach in the first half of season. No bad losses yet no signature wins. A couple thrilling moments and signs of improvement. Compare that with some under performing players and lack of an identity on offense. Jury is still out on Red but overall he is trending upward but would like to see him get a couple big wins to know he is the real deal.

Very early, too early to judge definitively.

But there are some red flags -- namely, the poor inbounding plays, predictably zoning when the opponent inbounds the ball under the basket, and the lackluster iso-based offense.

Those things suggest [again, it's early] that he's sticking with many of the same principles JB used out of familiarity. Was hoping for that not to be the case.

But I also think things might look better in terms of offensive execution with a player like Westry out there instead of, say, Taylor or Bell.

Hard to judge since we won the games we should have. So I'll say "meets expectations". Red is growing into the role, but the lack of the players intensity (for big parts of games) and rebounding are issues that need correcting and fast. The iso-based offense just isn't working if Judah is out, and when we play good teams he won't get a million fouls called, so we need more scheming than the 3 man weave and jack.

C+...defense is soft and not sure what the plan is on offense. It looks like every possession they are making it up as they go. We play too many guards to be a bad passing team. Also, crazy to me that the 7'4 250lb guy hardly touches the ball on offense...

C+...defense is soft and not sure what the plan is on offense. It looks like every possession they are making it up as they go. We play too many guards to be a bad passing team. Also, crazy to me that the 7'4 250lb guy hardly touches the ball on offense...
I get your point and agree that we shouldnt give up on it, but to Red's defense, when the 7'4 250 lb guy touches the ball and he's doubled, it's almost an auto turnover. And when he makes a move to the hole, it's 40% at best

Too soon to be giving him a grade, but the fan base is working on a really challenging pop quiz for him later this week, so he better be ready. This will count for 20% of his final grade.
Agree it's too soon until after Gtown and Oregon. Would have lost to Cornell if we were all zone D. "I - Incomplete" for now.

C+. The Tenn game almost turned in our favor and could have made this grade quite a bit different...

Outside of that the roster has been incomplete from day 1. When Westry returns and we get a look at his impact on the team it will be interesting. The Jesse situation made things really tough. Not just losing him but losing him unexpectedly where it was scramble mode.

It's a less talented roster than expected with JJ struggling, Westry injured and Benny being a giant mess. Judah needs that more dynamic backcourt mate that JJ hasn't shown to be. Chance hopefully can change that.

We've watched years of zone. Now it's a mtm team. Everything looks and feels differently with a mtm team. Chance is an elite defender. I'm curious what the defense looks like with a truly elite defender out there. If we can get to our next league game at 9-3 I'd say he's a solid B.

Not going to grade at this point but there seems to be some serious lack of leadership and court discipline on this team.
Watching the game made me think it was a bunch of guys that showed up at the Rucker to play a pickup up game. So many me first shots. No real offensive sets. Very limited ball movement. Defense cohesiveness was non existent.
One thing that really was frustrating is the lack of D after made shots. To busy patting themselves on the back for making a shot (Mintz) then getting back on D.
This team really needs a leader. No one has showed that to this point. If Mintz wants to go pro he is going to need to be a real leader of a team and show he can be a professional in a team sport. It more than about worrying about yourself.
Red needs to start limiting minutes of guys that do not want to give 100% effort on both sides for 40 minutes. He needs to get guys to stop taking quick off balance shots that leads to run outs. If a guy won’t stop talking poor shots and will not defend put them on the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom