Red grade so far | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Red grade so far

Solid c, team looks lost for long periods on offense and defense. I’m a bit disappointed but I had higher expectations—which have proved to have been unrealistic.

We've won the games we should have and lost the ones I thought we would. Georgetown is one we need.

I'm not giving up on JJ yet. His minutes, points, rebounds and assists are all up over last year even though he can't shoot a link. Even though Judah plays better with the ball in his hand, I think JJ might have a future as a PG.

C+ at this moment in time but I think he will improve. I believe he should get 3 years to prove he can do it unless the wheels fall off and they don’t win a conference game for two years like georgetown. Tough to say that because I lost patience before he even took the job, but he’s the guy so he needs ample chance to prove himself. There’s good coaches who started slow. No one knows if he’s one of them yet.

B- I definitely had unrealistic expectations, and thought that our big men would produce more. Plus our guards are somewhat wild, or at least not running a consistent offense. But, seems to be improving and that's exciting to see.

I’d like to see us better in losses and better in some wins but we haven’t lost a game we should’ve won and have lost games we should’ve lost.

I just want to get to the point where I think we’ll win every game again.

I think he’s doing a good job. B-
We need to give him some time.
I also think that he’s playing for down the road which is very hard to do in this climate.

The core team is a year away from growing up enough to play at the level we all want. Next years recruits address 2 huge needs. Enjoy the ride.

I’ll use the grade school scoring format so Red isn’t triggered:

3: meeting NYS standards
2: working toward the standard
1: not meeting the standard

So somewhere between 1 and 2.

Let’s make sure we beat Georgetown and then I’ll grade.

I don’t really think it’s on him the transfers have been complete duds. If he doesn’t bring in JJ Westry and Naheem to calm down the fans the off-season is super negative and uncomfortable.

Hey now - the ink isn't even dry on the Iggy predictions yet!

Because it is so early, I'll give him a "B." Sure the team has flaws, but would the record be any better with JB at the helm? It will take some improvement to keep a "B" grade at the end of the year. Interested to see how we do in ACC play and if Westry makes a difference.

On par with recent history. Don’t really understand all the criticism considering how crummy we’ve been for awhile. Just maintaining our status.

On par with recent history. Don’t really understand all the criticism considering how crummy we’ve been for awhile. Just maintaining our status.
Many thought new coach new system more athleticism, abandon 2-3, coupled with JJ and Judah best backcourt in the conference… gave hope to outperform recent history

Many thought new coach new system more athleticism, abandon 2-3, coupled with JJ and Judah best backcourt in the conference… gave hope to outperform recent history
Offense doesn’t look any different than it has in recent years.

C+. The Tenn game almost turned in our favor and could have made this grade quite a bit different...

Outside of that the roster has been incomplete from day 1. When Westry returns and we get a look at his impact on the team it will be interesting. The Jesse situation made things really tough. Not just losing him but losing him unexpectedly where it was scramble mode.

It's a less talented roster than expected with JJ struggling, Westry injured and Benny being a giant mess. Judah needs that more dynamic backcourt mate that JJ hasn't shown to be. Chance hopefully can change that.

We've watched years of zone. Now it's a mtm team. Everything looks and feels differently with a mtm team. Chance is an elite defender. I'm curious what the defense looks like with a truly elite defender out there. If we can get to our next league game at 9-3 I'd say he's a solid B.
Re: Jesse. I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. We had this debate a couple of months ago, and you said, meh, you didn't think we would miss Jesse because Red would play differently.

I agree that most people, including the coaching staff, never imagined that JJ would struggle as much as he has, which has definitely affected the outlook of the team. Plus, the Chance injury.

C at best

Winning against teams you're physically better than and getting blown out by good teams is what you'd expect from a coach who is not having much impact on the game one way or the other.

I’m giving him a B+ The team has some toughness and we’re getting better.. I feel like we have a chance in every game we play. that was not the case last year. The program is headed in the right direction.

Seems early to grade, but I'll go with a C plus. Things might be different with a healthy Westry and if Jesse didn't leave.

B/B- Gotta include the recruiting he did this summer in the profile. He pulled in nice transfers that we fans mostly wanted and we snapped up Freeman which was a huge get. We are 6-3 and anyone dreaming in year 1 we would be better than that right now were not being realistic. Red has things to figure out though with the team/identity and we should have some patience with that. He is 9 games into year 1.

I’m surprised so many are giving out Bs given how uncompetitive the losses have been. It’s not just who you lose to but how much fight your team has. That and the sense that the team has no identity or clear indication of what they’re trying to do.

I’m giving him a B+ The team has some toughness and we’re getting better.. I feel like we have a chance in every game we play. that was not the case last year. The program is headed in the right direction.
I see hardly any toughness or leadership. Outside of Colgate, the team completely melts down and folds if they get down by double digits. And those blowout losses and meltdowns gave me no confidence that we have a chance in every game we play. But that’s just me. I’d give him a C so far.

Re: Jesse. I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. We had this debate a couple of months ago, and you said, meh, you didn't think we would miss Jesse because Red would play differently.

I agree that most people, including the coaching staff, never imagined that JJ would struggle as much as he has, which has definitely affected the outlook of the team. Plus, the Chance injury.

Transfers out have been way better than transfers in.

We are getting almost zero from everyone who wasn’t part of JB’s last recruiting class.

I honestly can’t predict ACC play for us at all on one hand I see us matching up well and on the other hand I can see everyone finding their A game whenever they play us and it getting ugly. Glad we don’t see UVA again but some of the teams we play twice worry me especially Clemson and even Pitt.

B/B- Gotta include the recruiting he did this summer in the profile. He pulled in nice transfers that we fans mostly wanted and we snapped up Freeman which was a huge get. We are 6-3 and anyone dreaming in year 1 we would be better than that right now were not being realistic. Red has things to figure out though with the team/identity and we should have some patience with that. He is 9 games into year 1.
My out of conference prediction was 7-4, so I agree that people had lofty expectations if they thought we would have a better record than that. I’m surprised how immature we look and that this Benny thing has gone downhill the way it has. I didn’t expect miracles from him, but I did expect he would mature. Bell and Taylor have shown progress, so that reflects well on Red.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom