Red Season 1 Now a Bust | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Red Season 1 Now a Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I haven't followed this whole thread and didn't get to see the game, but let me see if I understand what's going on. Red has won more games this year than the previous two years after being given a roster most didn't think was all that good. He lost our only actual big man to injury. He has recruited a top 25 guy that could fill a major hole next year. He favorably changed our style of play. He's won more games this year than we won the previous 2 years with at least 4 games left in the season. And we still have people calling this season a failure? I want to be in the tournament as much as the next guy, but did people honestly think that was realistic this year? Are we sniffing a special kind of glue that targets rational brain cells?

So, I haven't followed this whole thread and didn't get to see the game, but let me see if I understand what's going on. Red has won more games this year than the previous two years after being given a roster most didn't think was all that good. He lost our only actual big man to injury. He has recruited a top 25 guy that could fill a major hole next year. He favorably changed our style of play. He's won more games this year than we won the previous 2 years with at least 4 games left in the season. And we still have people calling this season a failure? I want to be in the tournament as much as the next guy, but did people honestly think that was realistic this year? Are we sniffing a special kind of glue that targets rational brain cells?
Syracuse should be in the tournament every year. Any year they aren’t is a disappointment

I don't know, I kind of liked the backdoor plays for Taylor and there was a nice play to free up Bell. Team clearly lost focus but hung on. That Burton is going to be a problem.
there were some nice plays and lately the offense has been killing it in the 1st half...but they inexpocably go to the iso offense in the 2nd halves and then the offense collapses

and burton was doing the same drive and finish for like 10 minutes and they couldnt stop him...thats on the defense not bc burton is that good. if judah was injured and couldnt stay with him, thats one thing...but the adjustments were bad. they were non-existant.

they lost the last 22 mnutes of the game by like 26 points...after decimating them for the first 18...it doesnt make sense.

in my opinion, this team could have: the same roster, same schedule, AND same RECORD...

and be easily in the tournament this year.

if only Red (and the players) cared about margin of victory. Red seems he only cares about W-L.

Win-Loss record isnt as important as it used to be...so can we adjust and realize that the ranking systems dont rank teams on W-L?

the coach has to understand the way the metrics are done and adjust accordingly...

many many teams with worse overall records than the Orange will finish with this year will be in the tournament!

this could be a tournament team.

Syracuse should be in the tournament every year. Any year they aren’t is a disappointment
Yes, that's where we need to get back to. But after the previous 9 seasons, yes nearly a full decade, of missing it or barely squeeking in, you don't just wave a magic wand and fix it. Maybe you do that in the video games you play, but that's not real life. JB built the program and then did a bang up job letting it erode. We've been irrelevant nationally for a while. I don't know yet if Red is the man for job long term, but this year is not a failure and it's an upgrade over where we've been.

Toyed with him right to a loss. That is also a fact. And this score won't keep us out of the tournament. Did you guys really expect us to beat ND by 30? By 20? We aren't that good. We have no depth. Red tried to get guys some rest at the end of the first half and we got beat 9-0. Did it ever occure to anyone that the reason why teams have rallied against us is our guys get tired? We don't have enough players to play man.
ND only had 6 players in double digit minutes.
Cuse had 7.
Its not like the Irish are fresh in the 2nd half and our players are dead

Two more wins before the ACCT and we will have the most regular season wins since 13-14. Given the schedule we have to boot that’s pretty damn good in year 1 with two major injuries, a key member dismissed snd having never met expectations and the best player on the team having not improved as expected.

We’ve made our own bed but are also dealing with a metric system that is weighted against us by way of our lack of huge win margins and several larger losses.

You just don't get it haha. That recruit is actually a #10 5 start McD's All American.

there were some nice plays and lately the offense has been killing it in the 1st half...but they inexpocably go to the iso offense in the 2nd halves and then the offense collapses

and burton was doing the same drive and finish for like 10 minutes and they couldnt stop him...thats on the defense not bc burton is that good. if judah was injured and couldnt stay with him, thats one thing...but the adjustments were bad. they were non-existant.

they lost the last 22 mnutes of the game by like 26 points...after decimating them for the first 18...it doesnt make sense.
Burton hooked Judah on drives twice and Judah got the foul. Kid did a good job selling it and honestly Judah got a taste of his own medicine. That officiating crew is not a fan of Judah's. Seen those same guys before. Judah ended with 4 fouls, all 4 were ghost fouls. That changes everything defensively.

You just don't get it haha. That recruit is actually a #10 5 start McD's All American.
Cool. Which service is that? I looked at the 2 4 7 composite.

in my opinion, this team could have: the same roster, same schedule, AND same RECORD...

and be easily in the tournament this year.

if only Red (and the players) cared about margin of victory. Red seems he only cares about W-L.

Win-Loss record isnt as important as it used to be...so can we adjust and realize that the ranking systems dont rank teams on W-L?

the coach has to understand the way the metrics are done and adjust accordingly...

many many teams with worse overall records than the Orange will finish with this year will be in the tournament!

this could be a tournament team.
I don't think it's that Red doesn't care about margin of victory. I think we have a team that loses focus/gets lazy. I think more recently we've also been fatigued because of poor depth. The focus/lazy thing can be partly the fault of the coaches. I also think we lack player leadership. I hope we can find a player with some attitude that won't take crap from any opposing team and at the same time will smack a teammate in the back of the head when they need to be.

I don't think it's that Red doesn't care about margin of victory. I think we have a team that loses focus/gets lazy. I think more recently we've also been fatigued because of poor depth. The focus/lazy thing can be partly the fault of the coaches. I also think we lack player leadership. I hope we can find a player with some attitude that won't take crap from any opposing team and at the same time will smack a teammate in the back of the head when they need to be.
idk I think red's decision making in 2nd halves has been just win no matter what - margin be damned...and thats the main reason that the margin of victory has been puny. there have been 5-10 wins this season that easily couldve have and shouldve been much larger margin...due to strategy, imo

but yeah...watching the end of the 1st half of the ND game - I was just about to post how the shot selection and decision making was perfect in the 1st half on offense - but then they got sloppy and started forcing bad shots and let ND have a crucial 9-0 run to end the half - just that little slip up meant a brutal 2nd ...basically...the margins are smaller than the players think...if they want to maintain leads

but they are capable. witness the last couple of 1st halves the offense is amazing...

then they go into turtle mode and suck. to "protect" the lead...

its a whole team thing players and coaches...idk...I do think the team will likely pay for their margin of victory this year...

I agree though that now with the injuries and stuff the depth isnt there to maintain full intensity at optimal levels as easily. its a real issue that isnt really the coaches fault.

I should be rich, and schuppting a 25-year old Madeline Stowe. Any year that I'm not is a disappointment. :cool:
That’s totally fair, one is far more realistic then the other for numerous reasons… but that’s a topic for a different day

Yes, that's where we need to get back to. But after the previous 9 seasons, yes nearly a full decade, of missing it or barely squeeking in, you don't just wave a magic wand and fix it. Maybe you do that in the video games you play, but that's not real life. JB built the program and then did a bang up job letting it erode. We've been irrelevant nationally for a while. I don't know yet if Red is the man for job long term, but this year is not a failure and it's an upgrade over where we've been.
A year can be better than a previous year but still a disappointment, they’re not mutually exclusive.

Pretty much captured the "whole thread" in a nutshell. Dang, you are good! I can only imagine what your post would've been like if you had followed the whole thread. ;)

tale of two halves. we played hot and cold . and when we got cold
there was definitely some major shrinkage in that lead...

76e9fed801c75022e369e64805700cff.jpg

"like a frightened turtle "

idk I think red's decision making in 2nd halves has been just win no matter what - margin be damned...and thats the main reason that the margin of victory has been puny. there have been 5-10 wins this season that easily couldve have and shouldve been much larger margin...due to strategy, imo

but yeah...watching the end of the 1st half of the ND game - I was just about to post how the shot selection and decision making was perfect in the 1st half on offense - but then they got sloppy and started forcing bad shots and let ND have a crucial 9-0 run to end the half - just that little slip up meant a brutal 2nd ...basically...the margins are smaller than the players think...if they want to maintain leads

but they are capable. witness the last couple of 1st halves the offense is amazing...

its a whole team thing players and coaches...idk...I do think the team will likely pay for their margin of victory this year...

I agree though that now with the injuries and stuff the depth isnt there to maintain full intensity at optimal levels as easily. its a real issue that isnt really the coaches fault.
In the games I've seen this year, we've consistently had a doubt where teams go on a run. Sometimes it let's teams open up a big lead in a game we've kept close to that point. In other games it's let teams back in that we had big leads on. And it's happened at different times in the games. I hasn't felt to me like it was ever a coaching not to lose scenario. It has always felt like we just get boneheaded on offense and/or get lazy on defense. I suppose I could be wrong though. Maybe Red is trying to develop his own internal JB meter for ends of games.

Disappointment is related to expectations. When expectations are unrealistic, disappointment is likely the result.
They’re not unrealistic, they’re the most basic possible. Be one of the top 45 teams in the country. That’s not asking a lot of a school with Syracuse’s resources.

They’re not unrealistic, they’re the most basic possible. Be one of the top 45 teams in the country. That’s not asking a lot of a school with Syracuse’s resources.

Expecting a first year coach to outdo the outgoing HoF coach, after losing arguably the best player from that team, is unrealistic any way you slice it.

Our disappointment as fans has nothing to do with whether or not Red is off to a good start. news flash, he is. Franky, I have not been disappointed by this season, yes, a game here or there has been disappointing, but this team is exciting to watch. If you look at this team and don't see a lot of growth by most of our players as the year has gone on you must be focusing on results only and not seeing the whole picture. My advice, enjoy March for as long as you can, Next November is a long way away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom