Red Season 1 Now a Bust | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Red Season 1 Now a Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you honestly expect for wins for a first year head coach? Yeah and Hurley’s early success equated to a 16-17 record in year one and 19-12 in year 2 so your point isn’t too good there. Red just got a top 10 recruit that they haven’t had in ages. Everyone breathe lol
I still have hope that Red turns it around. My expectation is for a NCAA bid next year. Even if he fails to make it next year and is given a 3rd, he absolutely must make the tournament by year 3.

These are completely reasonable expectations for a program like Syracuse. This isn’t the 1990’s where kids didn’t transfer and you built a program over 4 years. With the portal he needs to be continually improving the roster. They made some bad mistakes in roster construction in his first year. Two good freshmen is a step in the right direction, but he needs to bring in more talent and address the major issues that currently exist on this team. He has my full support to turn it around, but I’m not given him 5 years to do it. We let JAB hang on way too long. The program needs to get back to a Top 25 level team with NCAA appearances each year.

Those are program expectations and I feel your pain, but this team was never any good. Not at the beginning of the year before injuries. Never. Too many holes. Not enough talent. I mean, we can’t shoot. We can’t rebound. Mccloud was a stiff before he ever got here. Did anyone really expect him to become serviceable here? No.

The issue is the players. It’s been that way for several years. We need much better players. It’s that simple. Why would anyone have expectations for a team starting Chris Bell and Taylor at the forwards? Benny Williams? The first time I saw that dude play it was obvious he was a bust. He couldn’t dribble or shoot. Last time I checked, those are the most important things in basketball, especially for a small forward.

I love JB, but he left the program in shambles with a horrible roster. People says we’re going to slip like Indiana and Gtown. I got news for you, we’re already there. SU basketball is totally irrelevant.

The way out of this mess is to get better players and hope Red can coach. It’s very hard to tell with this bunch. I mean, Copeland thinks he’s Oscar Robertson or something for example. No. You’re not that good!!

I agreed with your program expectations but this is a bad team (mediocre) plain and simple. We need electric shock to become relevant again. I hood Freeman can be that jolt.

Here are my concerns:

Even tho Red is his own man, he was still a hire within the JB staff that had been part of our slide.

I also need to know that Red is willing to make a change on the coaching staff if it’s needed.

And there absolutely cannot be a situation like the center position again.

I love Red. I watched his Scholastic Sports America on ESPN way back in the day and have been a fan ever since. I want him to succeed. But unfortunately for him, any continued slide is still a cousin to the JB slide. Fair or not, that’s the truth.

I think he has three years. Total guess.

I love Red as a human being. He's a good man and he's always represented himself and the University well.

And I completely acknowledge that we currently have multiple players on our roster who are probably better suited for lower-end D1.

But if he and Gerry don't come together in the off-season into next year and demonstrate that they have some offensive creativity and ingenuity outside of just Boeheim-lite vanilla ice cream iso ball, it will be hard for me to continue to support him.

We pretty much have 6 players with a really good PF playing center for 40 minutes...lot of "cuda, wuda, shudas" but losing Jessie Edwards killed this team...thats on the AD and chancelor...don't buy this foreign VISA crap they fed us...WVU paid $800k for him with no "VISA" NIL issues...two 25 thousand attendance games would have more than paid his NIL...which we would have had with a better team...did you notice Bell was fighting with everyone today including Autry...total BS ...time to clean house and open up some scholly's for portal players ..right now we are stuck on 13 depending what Mintz does...if he leaves we only have one open scholarship after adding the two recruits...go find a real center and a wing shooter ...GT sat back and dared us to shoot and we had 4 airball threes...the game today is three point shooting which opens up the middle...I would let Bell, Taylor and Hima find happiness elsewhere and spend some money filling our needs...

Barring a miracle in the next 3 weeks, Red’s season 1 is looking like a bust, or at least underperformed against fans’ expectations.

Looking ahead to next year I believe he must make the NCAA Tournament. The program can’t continue to produce mediocre results year after year. We’re slipping as a national program. Falling with the likes of Indiana and Georgetown into the oblivion of has-beens.

Question is, do you give Red a third year if he fails to make the NCAAT next year?

Even if he gets a third year, if he doesn’t make the tournament by his third year there’s no chance he gets a 4th.
I couldn't disagree more with this take. Red is out performing what JB did the last 2 years and to think he was going to do much better ..well, the problem is with the person thinking it rather than what we did on the floor. We do not have a good team. To have 16 wins with this bunch, is a plus. Not a negative,

To become a powerhouse again. Tourney next year or year after with proven uptick in success and recruiting.
Right. That’s 3 years.

If we are bubble next year and then drop off again. Done.

Look at GTown. If they dump Ewing after year 3, they aren’t in this hideous situation they are in now where Cooley can’t even get them to 500

The team only has underperformed if your expectations were incorrect from the start.
Even loosing 2 key pieces, pre season expectations (from what I can recall)
were pretty high. A very solid (not great) portal group, plus an upgrade with
returning players based on another year's experience if nothing else. It was
realistic to expect that both of these factors would make us competitive.

Neither of these actually materialized. Some of it was health issues, some
perhaps coaching, some player indifference combined with a limited ceiling
on their talent. What also became apparent was a lack of team chemistry
which is the most distressing part of the season.

So yes, this group did not live up to expectations that many had. I try
to temper mine to avoid the inevitable let down. Lesson going forward
should be to keep it real while hoping for the best. Who knows, it might
all work out down the line.

Last edited:
I'm embarrassed to read this thread. What a bunch of spoiled, namby-pamby, bandwagon, pretend fans. How realistic to fire every coach that didn't make the NCAAT, especially in their first season. The mature response is to give Red at least three years. Then if you want to talk, then fine.

I really hope this team wins 20 games just to shut some people up.
I think the vast majority of this thread agrees with 3 years. We don’t agree with 5

Right. That’s 3 years.

If we are bubble next year and then drop off again. Done.

Look at GTown. If they dump Ewing after year 3, they aren’t in this hideous situation they are in now where Cooley can’t even get them to 500
I didn't want Red but I am going to give him a fair chance. And it doesn't sound like many here are willing to do that. We are a mess of a program right now. His first recruiting class is solid. I would bet next years will also be very good. The test will be once we move on from these current guys (not soon enough for me) let's see what he can do.

I didn't want Red but I am going to give him a fair chance. And it doesn't sound like many here are willing to do that. We are a mess of a program right now. His first recruiting class is solid. I would bet next years will also be very good. The test will be once we move on from these current guys (not soon enough for me) let's see what he can do.
You are reading what you want then. 3 years. Said multiple times

Saying that Syracuse should be a tournament team within 3 years is very reasonable, as is saying we should be very competitive for a spot next year-- that is reasonable for an average P6 program. Which we are.

I think part of the problem is some people still have the mentality that "WE ARE SYRACUSE BASKETBALL" still has some massive edge due to brand value or other factors. Sorry to tell you but taking a break from significant relevancy for 9 years has negative impacts.

Last edited:
You are reading what you want then. 3 years. Said multiple times
3 years isn't enough unless he is a disaster. That would be really 2 recruiting classes.

Team is fine, people are expecting Red to scheme something incredible out of a very flawed group that’s gotten exponentially thinner over the course of the season.

Players are on their way.

The national search crowd - Kevin Willard, Mussleman are mediocre.. Ricky spending a fortune for meh. Cooley is completely under water. They would all trade places with Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom