Red's system | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Red's system

Essentially it is true. They both ran some different “window dressing” quick hitters and sets, but ultimately both relied on winning one on one match-ups.

Bingo and based on dribble drive of guards.

We didnt go down low because we dont have anyone who can play down there

i think red is very smart. but red is taught by jb. jb's system worked for a long time but not at the end. therefore, the key question is, does our system no longer work as well as it once did, or do we not have the right players to run the system. this is a TBD.
Which JB system are we talking about. The slow it down and grind it out system of the last few years or the play physical and get out on the break system when Red was a player?

In addition to coaching, Red played pro ball for 10 years. I would think he learned something from that too.

I don't know that we know exactly what his system is yet. This roster has holes he needs to fill. We need to see if he can fill them. Then we can see what his system looks like.

That's been one of the fogs about this season, exactly what system is Red trying to run?

The offense is anemic.

The defense is porous.

The culture seems wild & undisciplined.

A lot of this is because the 'greatest class ever' isn't very good, but still, I didn't see a system that helped the players in any way.

Autry clearly wants to push in transition every play but Mintz is not really that type of PG
That simply cannot be true.
If Red wanted to push the ball in transition, we would have.
Do people think we're walking the ball up bc Judah prefers that?

That simply cannot be true.
If Red wanted to push the ball in transition, we would have.
Do people think we're walking the ball up bc Judah prefers that?

i know ppl have said that, including insiders. i know where this comes from and i do trust the source.

that said, i tend to doubt it too--judah is a down hill guard, why would he prefer to walk it up

we throttled the ball versus unc and it worked

Even better. How many wins does Jesse add this year? Even if it’s 2 wins that’s an ncaa team
I think - can’t prove it - that Jesse mitigates the blowouts too.

That = higher NET = better chance at NCAA.

I ask this question with no agenda. HCAA hire of
Brenden Straughn was highly touted. He has been virtually invisible this season. What did he bring to the table this season?
Hope and joy?

Until I see a system, I'm gonna assume he doesn't have one

Running so you didn't have to play in the half court isn't a system

Agreed. Jury is still out.

And I can buy the arguments that the personnel weren't optimized for what he wanted to run in year one after taking over, but there were some red flags about X's and O's. Will be interesting to see what we run next year, with a new influx of players.

Will we see a more structured system [to your point], or the same old iso ball? Or an emphasis on defense / turning the ball over to run, in lieu of a system?

Agreed. Jury is still out.

And I can buy the arguments that the personnel weren't optimized for what he wanted to run in year one after taking over, but there were some red flags about X's and O's. Will be interesting to see what we run next year, with a new influx of players.

Will we see a more structured system [to your point], or the same old iso ball? Or an emphasis on defense / turning the ball over to run, in lieu of a system?
The odds are against him coming up with anything new. He is a continuity hire. He's not some mad scientist coming up with anything of his own coming up through the ranks, he learned from a very old coach who probably isn't in the cutting edge despite his brilliance. Everyone helping him has the same background

It's just like football, we hope he recruits like mad. It's not gonna be enough

Until I see a system, I'm gonna assume he doesn't have one

Running so you didn't have to play in the half court isn't a system
We did not have a system problem, whatever system you run you have to have rebounders. We did not. You have to have at least two dependable if not knock down shooters. We did not. You have to have players who can make their lay ups without trying for style points. We did not.
This team had so many structural problems that no system would have fixed them.
Throw in the center being an out of position forward.
In my opinion Red got as much as he could out of what he had on the roster. Now you can criticise the roster but the roster was what it was.

Autry clearly wants to push in transition every play but Mintz is not really that type of PG
i think the players were playing as red wanted them to...he wante to try things early in the season that didnt work so he adjusted...

i highly doubt judah was just playing against red's wishes out there

I think people think about this the wrong way. Running your program based on a system is much trickier now because it's tougher to keep good players around long enough for them to perfect it. Instead the focus should be on getting the best players you can and fitting a system around them - Not the other way around. And then making sure they improve over the course of the season.

EDIT: I would like to see some habits, though. Toughness, resilience, team ball, winning 50-50 balls, things like that. Also want to see players improve from season to season and better S&C. No more beanpole centers, for the love of all that is holy.

Last edited:
at the end of the day, even if Red has the best plays ever designed, if the players on the court revert to pick-up ISO ball whenever they get flustered or defended then it's going to look like pick-up ISO ball.

Ideally, the guards should be able to execute team basketball based on their observations during the game and direct the offense, find the weakness and exploit it with plays, tools, and skills provided by the coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom