REMEMBER THE NEW STADIUM? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

REMEMBER THE NEW STADIUM?

that's exactly what i'm talking about. no one has anything concrete, just general complaints

and you respond with Uh she wrote something and other things

mr [blank]
The letter to SU is concrete.

I was talking 81/481.
pointless to talk about this stuff in isolation. it's all the same project. what good is a stadium no one can get to? people here can treat it like an afterthought but the people paying for it don't think of it that way

I agree about the preference for an on-campus site, but a Skytop stadium would effectively be off-campus for the majority of potential student fans and for those of us who enjoy the college atmosphere.

It's a soulless site with terrible vehicular access (with or without an expensive 481 exit), few transit options, and not walkable from anything other than a handful of single-familay residential neighborhoods.

Glad this didn't happen.

Agree with that.

WHY DO WE PLAY SO MUCH ZONE?!

WE SHOULD PLAY MORE MAN!!!!

Attachments

• image-3849839699.jpg
    image-3849839699.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 99
if 400 million is burning a hole in their pocket, maybe they do spend it somewhere else right now

but it doesn't stop there. presumably there is someone in albany that keeps track of who has gotten what over time and next time around maybe the state money goes to something that's actually needed and important

everyone likes to say "the money will be spent" but then they pretend like next year the money won't be spent

if the only way Syracuse can ever get money back is to do useless projects in a haphazard fashion, well shame on Albany. Cuomo won't be there forever, hopefully someone else has a brain in his head
A new stadium is far from a useless project. I think you're in the extreme minority in calling it useless. It's called progress and it happens all over the country. Got news for you MIllie you aren't going to fix our broken government so Syracuse might as well get their share of the wasted dollars don't you think? If they're throwing money around then syracuse needs to get is fare share my friend When you build something nice people respond to it here is no different

Another thing not mentioned is a stadium off campus with a large parking lot would greatly enhance the game experience It will
Be a much better environment for tailgating rather than the fragmentation that we have today with people in small lots all over the hill.

Millhouse, if they do decide to build a new stadium does that mean you will move out of NYS because you dont agree how tax money is spent?

Killdozer said:
Millhouse, if they do decide to build a new stadium does that mean you will move out of NYS because you dont agree how tax money is spent?
Another smart post

Anyone here complaining about Dome traffic is out of their mind. Spend a day leaving Ann Arbor on a football Saturday and then tell me how bad the Dome traffic is.

I just got back from a trip to Manhattan... Anyone complaining about traffic is Syracuse needs to be given a last meal, lined up, blindfolded and shot in the forehead with a rather large bullet.

I changed my mind. I think we should sit in our castles in Syracuse and let the state build everywhere around us and watch our taxes go up with no benefit to our region as Millhouse suggests. Only because our region has everything it needs without state help (including new water mains and potholes).

Millhouse - Not sure you are aware of this but... Government spending of this sort is never going to stop, no matter how much you would like it to. No matter how much you oppose it on this message board.

CuseOnly said:
I changed my mind. I think we should sit in our castles in Syracuse and let the state build everywhere around us and watch our taxes go up with no benefit to our region as Millhouse suggests. Only because our region has everything it needs without state help (including new water mains and potholes). Millhouse - Not sure you are aware of this but... Government spending of this sort is never going to stop, no matter how much you would like it to. No matter how much you oppose it on this message board.
Why is this the only thing ny can spend $ on in syracuse?

Why is this the only thing ny can spend $ on in syracuse?

Please make suggestions...realistic suggestions that actually have a shot at getting approval for $200 million in STATE funding for the area.

I will wait.

CuseOnly said:
Please make suggestions...realistic suggestions that actually have a shot at getting approval for $200 million in STATE funding for the area. I will wait.
This didn't get approval

Roads bridges schools ?

This didn't get approval

Roads bridges schools ?

Where are we going to build a $200 million dollar bridge and don't say I81 as that is federal funding?

They are closing and consolidating schools here, not sure if you knew that. We could build all the schools we want for $200 million but with the population declining, why? Liverpool HS was almost 4K kids when I graduated, now the total enrollment for 9-12 is only about 2K.

Keep making suggestions though. Do we need a 50 story building for all the jobs? Nope. How about a racetrack? Nope.

Let's hear it Millhouse.

EDIT: Have Miner call Cuomo and ask for $2oo mil to buy some schools in the city, see how that goes. Or how about some roads...We know how that went. How about some water mains... Oops, nope.

Last edited:
CuseOnly said:
Where are we going to build a $200 million dollar bridge and don't say I81 as that is federal funding? They are closing and consolidating schools here, not sure if you knew that. We could build all the schools we want for $200 million but with the population declining, why? Liverpool HS was almost 4K kids when I graduated, now the total enrollment for 9-12 is only about 2K. Keep making suggestions though. Do we need a 50 story building for all the jobs? Nope. How about a racetrack? Nope. Let's hear it Millhouse. EDIT: Have Miner call Cuomo and ask for $2oo mil to buy some schools in the city, see how that goes. Or how about some roads...We know how that went. How about some water mains... Oops, nope.
Who is talking about racetracks ? You are having a dumb conversation with yourself

There are other roads beside 81. I would've said 81.

Miner has plenty of things she could use help with. It's pretty clear that the stadium is the only thing you'll consider

Surely some of the consolidated schools could use some work. Remember that the dome exists, replacing existing schools is an option

They have a 600M budget there are plenty of ways to spend the money on infrastructure besides a stadium. If cuomo insists on the stadium which replaces something that is fine and just adds to their stretched budget, better to wait for someone after cuomo to make things right

Who is talking about racetracks ? You are having a dumb conversation with yourself

There are other roads beside 81. I would've said 81.

Miner has plenty of things she could use help with. It's pretty clear that the stadium is the only thing you'll consider

Surely some of the consolidated schools could use some work. Remember that the dome exists, replacing existing schools is an option

They have a 600M budget there are plenty of ways to spend the money on infrastructure besides a stadium. If cuomo insists on the stadium which replaces something that is fine and just adds to their stretched budget, better to wait for someone after cuomo to make things right

Conversation with myself ? I seemed to be having a conversation with you, until this last post when you decided to exit it.

I was asking you for suggestions for the STATE to spend $200 million dollars in Syracuse seeing as how you seem to have all the answers. Problem is, you can't come up with anything. The only thing that warranted that kind of state investment is a stadium since the Dome opened in 1980.

You keep saying infrastructure, roads and schools but the state won't allocate money for those "projects". We have already seen that. Miner asked for $16 mil for infrastructure, she was ignored and the state's response was that those things were the responsibility of the city.

Refurbing schools based on declining population and attendance is also not going to happen. As I said they are closing schools around here.

The racetrack and building comments in my post were jokes as I know those aren't going to happen yet you focus on my attempts at humor to deflect away from the fact that your suggestions for state funding have already been tried and turned down as I said above.

Lets here some more suggestions since you have all the answers.

CuseOnly said:
Conversation with myself ? I seemed to be having a conversation with you, until this last post when you decided to exit it. I was asking you for suggestions for the STATE to spend $200 million dollars in Syracuse seeing as how you seem to have all the answers. Problem is, you can't come up with anything. The only thing that warranted that kind of state investment is a stadium since the Dome opened in 1980. You keep saying infrastructure, roads and schools but the state won't allocate money for those "projects". We have already seen that. Miner asked for $16 mil for infrastructure, she was ignored and the state's response was that those things were the responsibility of the city. Refurbing schools based on declining population and attendance is also not going to happen. As I said they are closing schools around here. The racetrack and building comments in my post were jokes as I know those aren't going to happen yet you focus on my attempts at humor to deflect away from the fact that your suggestions for state funding have already been tried and turned down as I said above. Lets here some more suggestions since you have all the answers.
I already told you. If cuomo says no to everything but the stadium, wait until there is a new governor that isn't a fool. Cuomo won't be there forever and the state can keep track of who has gotten what over time.

If the city has to shell out for new stadium infrastructure, this supposed gift puts them in a worse budget situation

Millhouse said:
Who is talking about racetracks ? You are having a dumb conversation with yourself There are other roads beside 81. I would've said 81. Miner has plenty of things she could use help with. It's pretty clear that the stadium is the only thing you'll consider Surely some of the consolidated schools could use some work. Remember that the dome exists, replacing existing schools is an option They have a 600M budget there are plenty of ways to spend the money on infrastructure besides a stadium. If cuomo insists on the stadium which replaces something that is fine and just adds to their stretched budget, better to wait for someone after cuomo to make things right

The political realities make it so a chunk sum to do various small things would have the opposite affect. While I agree that the money would be better used that way - Cuomo wants a highly visible project that he can point to. The only difference here is to what part of the state he ends up pointing.

I already told you. If cuomo says no to everything but the stadium, wait until there is a new governor that isn't a fool. Cuomo won't be there forever and the state can keep track of who has gotten what over time.

If the city has to shell out for new stadium infrastructure, this supposed gift puts them in a worse budget situation

Remember the city wasn't asked for a Dime and no governor is going to send 200 mil to Syracuse when infrastructure is the city's responsibility. Just because of terrible fiscal management the state should be the savior? Even the county doesn't really want to help with this, they offered to get the mayor to stop begging the state.

So in other words, you have no better ideas, got it... other that wait until a new Governor is in office so he can bail out our infrastructure which wouldn't be anywhere near $200 mil to fix. It also doesn't create any real uptick in jobs or help our local economy, no press other than bad.

Keep in mind that giving Syracuse a hand-out for infrastructure would set a precedent for every city and town in the state to ask for money and promote fiscal irresponsibility. Not the message that the state will want to send.

There is no other project that could bring this amount of money into the area...and make a splash that any Governor would want.

The political realities make it so a chunk sum to do various small things would have the opposite affect. While I agree that the money would be better used that way - Cuomo wants a highly visible project that he can point to. The only difference here is to what part of the state he ends up pointing.

Bingo!

Screw it! Just ask the Oneidas to build a new stadium at Turning Stone. Problem solved. Next! :p

Remember the city wasn't asked for a Dime and no governor is going to send 200 mil to Syracuse when infrastructure is the city's responsibility. Just because of terrible fiscal management the state should be the savior? Even the county doesn't really want to help with this, they offered to get the mayor to stop begging the state.

So in other words, you have no better ideas, got it... other that wait until a new Governor is in office so he can bail out our infrastructure which wouldn't be anywhere near $200 mil to fix. It also doesn't create any real uptick in jobs or help our local economy, no press other than bad.

Keep in mind that giving Syracuse a hand-out for infrastructure would set a precedent for every city and town in the state to ask for money and promote fiscal irresponsibility. Not the message that the state will want to send.

There is no other project that could bring this amount of money into the area...and make a splash that any Governor would want.
I am perfectly willing to grant you that they might not get 200 million. I'd rather get 100 million for things they need than 200 million for things they don't.

It's like giving a yacht to a homeless guy (and forbidding him from selling it). The yacht costs more than some food and shelter but it doesn't do much for the homeless guy. The yacht might end up costing the homeless guy in taxes

Your stupid logic doesn't leave me any chance of offering something better because you're defining the stadium as the only possible option. It's the stadium or nothing and the 200 million would have no effect on future aid in your view. You construct this stupid scenario and badger me about what else they could spend it on when you reject everything else out of hand.

They're spending 150 million on school improvements

http://www.jscbsyracuse.us/sites/default/files/JSCB_Phase_I_Program_Construction_Documents.pdf

money is fungible. a giant stadium they don't want is not - just because they've already started the school projects doesn't mean the state can't help. any money to anything they have to spend money on will free up money to pay for schools. the problem with the stadium is that it's not anything the city would've wanted to spend money on so it doesn't free up a penny for the city.

Any aid to any project the city wanted to do on its own would be more useful than a giant bag of money spent on something the city didn't want

Last edited:

"Remember the city wasn't asked for a Dime"

we don't know that. mcmahon talked vaguely about "support from city hall" i doubt he was referring to pom poms

i'm not sure what you're referring to when you say the opposite effect