Remembering the Big East | Syracusefan.com

Remembering the Big East

Garrett_TD23

Walk On
Putting together an obituary for the Big East and since you guys spent considerable time there, I figure you can recount some memories, both good and bad.

Also if the Big East was an actual person, how would you write it?

The Big East should be remembered fondly. It was good to Syracuse. When you're watching most of the Syracuse games on TV and not talking about last night's Big Monday game against Nova with the guy at the watercooler, you'll remember it fondly.

It's a shame that we're only playing road games in the ACC. Man, what is SU going to do with that empty Dome now?

I say we have four unamed individuals take the Big East out to the Libyan desert to bury it.
Costas does the eulogy, Louie, Rollie, JT, and Jimmy give rememberances. Calhoun? !

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

It's a shame that we're only playing road games in the ACC. Man, what is SU going to do with that empty Dome now?
Scooch, I get to maybe one or two SU hoop games at the dome each year. It's simply too far to go more than that many basketball games. I'm watching St. John's right now and I almost don't even care about the game, regardless of whether it's an exhibition game. Once SU joins the ACC, I'll feel the same about Seton Hall, Providence, Nova and Gtown.

Putting together an obituary for the Big East and since you guys spent considerable time there, I figure you can recount some memories, both good and bad.

Also if the Big East was an actual person, how would you write it?
I personally came of age watching Pearl battle Ewing and all the other great games during the 80s and 90s. What a great conference it was. Too bad college athletics have become what they have and left SU no choice but to bail.

I personally came of age watching Pearl battle Ewing and all the other great games during the 80s and 90s. What a great conference it was. Too bad college athletics have become what they have and left SU no choice but to bail.
"...no choice but to bail." That pretty much sums it up. Sad.

Scooch, I get to maybe one or two SU hoop games at the dome each year. It's simply too far to go more than that many basketball games. I'm watching St. John's right now and I almost don't even care about the game, regardless of whether it's an exhibition game. Once SU joins the ACC, I'll feel the same about Seton Hall, Providence, Nova and Gtown.

I'm sympathetic, I am. But SU has to take care of itself and the bulk of it's fans, both of which are located in CNY.

write this...this is all so stupid.

the bigeast is basically 9 teams, 3 of which are now in the ACC. 3 of which will now make for incredible ooc games, 2 of which are useless and 1 whom is getting the shaft. but why cry??

if one considers the bigeast to be a football conf...then basically its 8 teams. 5 of which are in the ACC, 1 is in the big12 who will continue to schedule a few of the ACC teams, 1 is temple and the other is rutgers...ENOUGH SAID. storz doesnt even fluckin register in this one, so they get a 50 in the care meter.

jesus guys...SU is with or will play anyone whom you feel attached to.

get the fluck over it already.

good lord.

:eek: :bang:

Oh Lord

write this...this is all so stupid.

the bigeast is basically 9 teams, 3 of which are now in the ACC. 3 of which will now make for incredible ooc games, 2 of which are useless and 1 whom is getting the shaft. but why cry??

if one considers the bigeast to be a football conf...then basically its 8 teams. 5 of which are in the ACC, 1 is in the big12 who will continue to schedule a few of the ACC teams, 1 is temple and the other is rutgers...ENOUGH SAID. storz doesnt even fluckin register in this one, so they get a 50 in the care meter.

jesus guys...SU is with or will play anyone whom you feel attached to.

get the fluck over it already.

good lord.

:eek: :bang:..

Oh Lord
The BE is dead Everyone knows that. The thread is about your recollections of the BE past. There were awesome days. I still cant stand the ACC but will enjoy ripping Duke in the dome. (If its in the dome)

The BE is dead Everyone knows that. The thread is about your recollections of the BE past. There were awesome days. I still cant stand the ACC but will enjoy ripping Duke in the dome. (If its in the dome)
and my point is......both the memories and the opponents, are coming with us.

nothing has changed but a few different games in addition to all the same regular ones.

From my own perspective

For FB this will be awesome. Better teams and much better road trips. I already mapped out how I would get to each. All but VT is an easy trip for me. Which is fine since I don't really want to go to VT anyway. Also the Southern FB crowd is a lot better, as they are friendly and respectful unlike NE crowds. That IMO is what makes CFB so unique. It is a brotherhood where traveling road crowds are encouraged and expected. It is about the pageantry and there is no pro sport attitude or atmosphere. This was missing from all the current BE venues.

For BBall this will be awesome for home games and watching games on TV. Top to bottom I am more interested in the matchups that the ACC has to offer. However this totally blows for road trips. There is not one I can see myself going to on a consistant basis. Although it will be cool to go to Cameron just to say I have been. No more Nova, St Johns, Seton Hall, PC, RU, and maybe no GTown will suck. I will miss the road trips big time but overall this will be more enjoyable for BBall.

I think your timing is off. It was a great basketball conference. But that was never the same once this became a football league too. Many of those memories were a shell of themselves long before the ACC's first raid in 2003.

To read some of these posts, you would almost think the basketball guys resent having a football team. I know that's not the case, but it just tends to sound that way sometimes when I hear about the rivalries with G'Town, Nova, SJU, etc.

As a fan who has been to almost all of the Big East Tournaments, who got to take his college age Big East son to the garden for the G-Mac heroics tournament, who sweated through all of those overtimes against UCONN, how can I not miss it. I was there, in the dome when SU won v. Villanove in the first BE tourney final a three overtime thriller that I knew could never be topped and then almost 30 years later it was. The great games far outweigh the dissapointing losses. Think of all of the great players, a Hall of Fame Coach, a tradition of excellence. With apologies to the other founding members, those hated Georgetown teams, the Johnny Come Lately UCONN teams, Nova, the Johnnies, Pitt, and even Seton Hall and BC, the Big East became a great conference because of Syracuse more than any other school. SU's down years, almost any other school would be happy with them. How many sub .500 league records did SU have? Syracuse, the school everybody else loves to hate, the game the others circle on the calendar.

Now we are off to another great adventure, a league with deep traditions, with great rivalries, Carolina v. Duke, Tobacco Road, Jimmy V., a slew of College greats, and now we are the new guys trying to make our mark. I'll tell you this. SU hoops is ready for the challenge, but man will I miss The Garden in March. I am not eloquent enough to write the eulogy for the Big East, simply stated, I hope the memories live with me until I die.

Two of my all time favorite moments, 1998 66-13 victory over Miami, and McNabb's miracle over Va Tech

The win over Miami was just a total steam roller...

They made it 17-7 and KJ gashed. I was way up in 322 at the time and I saw the whole and was standing in a TD gesture when he hit the 30. Bam. 24-7. Then McNabb had a 50+ up the gut qd draw that made it like 45-7 at the half. Giovanni DiLoatch scored his only TD on a fumble return for the final margin.

1998 Big East Champions

They made it 17-7 and KJ gashed. I was way up in 322 at the time and I saw the whole and was standing in a TD gesture when he hit the 30. Bam. 24-7. Then McNabb had a 50+ up the gut qd draw that made it like 45-7 at the half. Giovanni DiLoatch scored his only TD on a fumble return for the final margin.

1998 Big East Champions

I remember Edgerrin James walking toward the sideline late in the game looking absolutely dejected. Like someone had stole his ice cream, kicked his dog, and stole his girlfriend.

I remember Edgerrin James walking toward the sideline late in the game looking absolutely dejected. Like someone had stole his ice cream, kicked his dog, and stole his girlfriend.
It was fantastic!

Hmmm so many good memories... '87 trouncing of Penn St was a big football one for me, beating Florida in the dome... half court shot by pearl to beat BC, comming back from 20pts to beat GT in the Dome, just too many to even list.

Bad Memories... I don't want to talk about it

1998 Big East Champions

10-7, I think. Dee Brown on the option, 7-0. Trout field goal, 10-0. Miami scored, 10-7, we start to grumble 'Ugh, they're going to ruin McNabb's senior day and we're never going to beat Miami in the Dome' (nice positive fans, aren't we?). Then Johnson took back the kickoff (just like Graham on Friday - other team gets close, we score in 4 seconds).

At least that's how I remember it. I remember the last score coming on the fumble return in the east endzone, too. What a night.

My Obit:
Other than a few BCS upsets by WVU and some big weekday games, BE FB was hard to watch and made little national impact.
On the hoop side -nobody did it better !

Obit:
Look at the clock. Georgetown still sucks.

zls44 you are correct, three is more than one. Syracuse however is the ONLY team in the conference to be a consistent national powerhouse since the birth of the league. It is Syracuse that most teams want to beat more than any other school, it is Syracuse that is the Big East Conference all time winningest program in wins, has the second highest winning percentage ( the first among teams with at least a decade in the league) and the numbers are not close. Georgetown and UCONN have done their fair share of heavy lifting over the years, Villanova, Pitt and many other members have provided great and worthy opposition, but Syracuse is the heart of the conference.

All Time Big East Won Loss Records
Back

Syracuse has won the Big East Regular Season Title 9 times, the Big East Title 5 Times and more games than any other school in the Big East with 383 Conference wins. Connecticut has won the most regular season titles with 10, and Georgetown the most Big East Tournaments with 7. All-time wins and losses include Big East Tournament games.

Team

Wins

Losses

%

Regular Season Titles

Tournament Titles

Total Titles

Boston College

Cincinnati

Connecticut

DePaul

Georgetown