Revenue vs. non-revenue | Syracusefan.com

Revenue vs. non-revenue

How do you define "revenue sports"? Just FB & BB? Or whatever sports charge admission? I expect that the latter varies by university rather than by sport. With expanded content on conference television networks that earn $, many more sports could also be considered as revenue producing too.

How do you define "revenue sports"? Just FB & BB? Or whatever sports charge admission? I expect that the latter varies by university rather than by sport. With expanded content on conference television networks that earn $, many more sports could also be considered as revenue producing too.
I think generating profit can be the line of demarcation.

I’d imagine just football and men’s basketball truly generate profits at Syracuse, while women’s basketball and the lacrosse teams probably limit their losses offset their costs (scholarships, travel, meals, equipment, etc.)

Of course title IX complicates all of that.

I think generating profit can be the line of demarcation.
Makes sense for general discussion about finances at a particular school. But the topic is about creating separate sets of rules for everyone. Tough to do if every school has a different group of sports that apply.

Using that criteria, WBB may be a revenue sport at UConn and hardly anywhere else, while Rutgers could make a case that FB is non-revenue based on their lack of profit. Would they have to/get to compete under different rules than other schools in their conferences?

Makes sense for general discussion about finances at a particular school. But the topic is about creating separate sets of rules for everyone. Tough to do if every school has a different group of sports that apply.

Using that criteria, WBB may be a revenue sport at UConn and hardly anywhere else, while Rutgers could make a case that FB is non-revenue based on their lack of profit. Would they have to/get to compete under different rules than other schools in their conferences?

I think generally NCAA defines MBB and Football as “Revenue sports”

They might include WBB as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom