RIP Chris Gedney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Chris Gedney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very saddened to hear of Chris's passing. I feel I got to know him a little better after speaking with him at recent golf tournaments. I'm simply at a loss for words.

I don't really have words to capture this- growing up, Gedney was a player I idolized as a young boy. As a man with a family on the way and closer to Chris in age now than I am to my childhood memories, this is just so sad...I am sad for the memories but heart broken for his family and friends. A man of ability and faith. RIP.

I am in shock. Another CCF gone. I don't know if this is where his pain came from, or if it was from football or a combo of, but we did talk about his illness when I saw him in October. He had had a relapse, but said he was doing well. I know my son has asked for pain meds before. When he had his surgery a few years ago, he was in the hospital for 14 days and on morphine the whole time. He lives on medical marijuana, and this is EXACTLY why this drug needs to be nationally legal and available. My son also very seldom eats food, just ensures. Crohn's and Colitis sucks. I would give anything for a cure or some sort of relief for my son.

Heartbreaking for me. He was my bball coach at LHS youth camp. Was a great guy to be around as a kid... I was diagnosed with UC around 5 years ago and know the living hell that IBD is. Most cannot fathom the suffering endured. He was a hero and inspiration for me when I went into my first surgery last year after reading articles about what he went through at the end of his NFL career. It made me realize there was light at the end of the tunnel for me too. I really don’t even know what to say right now. Devastating. RIP.

I am in shock. Another CCF gone. I don't know if this is where his pain came from, or if it was from football or a combo of, but we did talk about his illness when I saw him in October. He had had a relapse, but said he was doing well. I know my son has asked for pain meds before. When he had his surgery a few years ago, he was in the hospital for 14 days and on morphine the whole time. He lives on medical marijuana, and this is EXACTLY why this drug needs to be nationally legal and available. My son also very seldom eats food, just ensures. Crohn's and Colitis sucks. I would give anything for a cure or some sort of relief for my son.

Bless you and your family...

This is terrible news.

My youngest sis and he were classmates at Liverpool High. They have stayed in touch somewhat through the years, as they both have a special needs child. Chris' daughter, as does my sister's youngest son, have Down Syndrome.

Last edited:
he was a really good guy. sad news.

my condolences to his family and friends.

I was blessed to get to fly on team plane and stay at team hotel for the SU UConn game in September 2016. I took my wife on the trip and Jason Poles was our host. Tremendous guy. When Chris gets on the bus, Jason goes to him, hey chris, kids first Cuse game was Miami ... What happened? Geds just laughed and said sorry kid, wish that played out different. Later in the trip, as we were boarding bus to head to airport to fly back, everyone boarding the bus has chi-fil-a from the locker room except my wife and I. Chris taps Park on the shoulder, and they give my wife and I half their dinner. I don't know where I am going with this story other than to say some of the few times I met him, he was a great guy and very nice. Saddened to hear of his passing.

Really got sideswiped by that one. only 47. A great Orangemen and a color man for the broadcasts. I didn't realize his health concerns were so grave. Very very sad and shocked. Wow.

Really enjoyed his analysis on SU football broadcasts. His love of SU really came through. When things went well, you could feel his joy through the radio. When things went bad, you could sense his disappointment. I feel I lost a friend because I listened to his radio calls so much over the past years ever since he replaced Mac. Mac and Geds can discuss TE-designed plays in the big gridiron in the sky.

He used to groan so much over the bad plays i'm extra sad that he won't be here to describe the good ones to come.

Chris was a kind and gentle soul. You would never know he was a big football hero and an NFL mainstay.

He was very kind to me, generous to my kids, and we bonded over our shared special needs issues. I heard he wasn't well recently but didn't give much thought and it's agonizing today.

Please pray for him and his family. We lost a good one today and it's awful.

I sat with Chris at the No huddle tour dinner this past year. We talked about current and past SU players. I quizzed him on SU players from Rochester. He got them all correct. Great guy. Im sadden by the news.

I didn't know he was having health problems.

Bless his family.

RIP

To everyone here, I am beyond sorry to hear of Chris' passing. From the top, he emblemed class, loyalty and humility to everyone who knew him. Syracuse Football knew no better friend. It's not even debatable.

This is an absolutely tragic story and gut-wrenching turn. It's easy to languish his pain, but rather, let's celebrate his numerous successes. He was a giant amongst us, yet had the gentle soul of a parent, warming laugh of a friend and kindred spirit of a teammate. His mark on this program, on this school, will never be forgotten. His legacy is sealed.

I hope he is at peace, and with drink in hand, watching reels of his former days as an absolute STUD of a tight-end at this place. He shall never be forgotten. He was always an amazing persona at the Seneca Falls Golf Tournament and we will do our best to make sure that continues.

Cheers and Godspeed, my friend.

This is almost as shocking to me as the passing of Fab Melo was. Different sports, but they may be sharing tales together. Chronic pain is a difficult thing to deal with, and I agree with the end of llandz's message, compassion. Chris, you're already in my sig, thoughts and prayers to your family.

I worked at SU while Chris was there his senior year. I am 6'4" and no small guy. One day I happened to be in line for pizza with Chris standing next to me. I realized then just how puny I was.

I went to Liverpool High and played football with Chris, he was a year older than me. I was a year accelerated in math so was in one of his classes as well. He was always fun to be around.

He was a great guy and will be missed, my thoughts and prayers are with his wife and family.

This is hitting me especially hard because my father passed at 46 which is the same age I am now and to see someone like Chris pass away at 47.

Wow, I don't honestly have the words...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors