RIP Fab Melo. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Fab Melo.

Had not heard the sad news of Fab's passing until about an hour ago and just read through this thread. RIP Fab, you and your smile will not be forgotten. And thank you to all of you here who have shown respect for his memory and the moment. Peace.

1. I don't see a no. 51 being put on JB court at the free throw line to commemorate his bricks any time soon.
2. One of our own has died. Sorrow has no limit, and is not mutually-exclusive. It's a sad day.

One of my favorite things about Fab Melo's improvement as a basketball player from year 1 to year 2 wasn't just his significantly increased shot-blocking prowess (as evidenced in this thread with the Seton Hall 10 block mentions), but his ability to take charges as shot blocking center in the zone too. He just seemed to find that perfect balance of when to contest and when to stay on his feet and take in the chest. Maybe one of the best ever to do so at that position in the zone, at least for a year? I've found myself thinking about that some this season, I don't feel like Lydon or Thompson ever take charges... miss that about Fab the player.

THIS. Fab was BE DPOY not only because of the blocks and altered shots, but his incredible skill at taking charges.
I honestly can't think of a Syracuse player, period (not just a big) who was so adept at that.

And while blocks are SC Top-10 highlight type plays, a charge is actually much more valuable, as it's a foul on the opponent, a turnover, and guaranteed possession of the ball.

RIP Fab, you "Big Bastard". You'll not be forgotten.

2011-2012 was my senior year up at SU. What an unbelievable ride it was that season. Incredible memories. That team was special and it seemed everyone on that squad got along quite well. The parts all just fit on the court. My all time favorite team. Will never forget it.

We'll probably never have a regular season again like 2012. Fab was a huge part of that. I'm from NYC so don't go to too many games a year, but 2012 I saw the most games live of any season in my life. Great team, great memories, rip big man.

We'll probably never have a regular season again like 2012. Fab was a huge part of that. I'm from NYC so don't go to too many games a year, but 2012 I saw the most games live of any season in my life. Great team, great memories, rip big man.
Good post, hopefully your first sentence isn't true though. I was expecting to go 40-0 next year after Lydon returns :)

Woke up to this on the cover of Yahoo this morning, and I just stared in disbelief. I am speechless and sad. As a parent who has lost a child my heart goes out to the mother to have to find him that way. RIP Fab

I've often wondered at my age, what it all means to be in to sports as much as I am, when certain things in life matter so much more. Why do we sometimes root and get attached to people that wouldn't give us the time of day in the real world? Why did I wake up yesterday in the morning wondering what our RPI was going to be over starting my tax paperwork? It doesn't really matter, I guess, but I know there's a lot of people on this board who are just like me simply by the fact that they're here.

The Syracuse Orange basketball program has brought a world of joy to me over my 38 years. I anticipate, I agonize, and I root. I often open up a media guide and just flip through for the memories and remember random games and people I hadn't thought about in forever. It doesn't add any value to my parenting, my job, or my marriage. But not everything has to be explainable. Last night and today, I was saddened over my attachment to the memories that Fab Melo created for me. That was my personal reaction to this. Even more so, I was devastated to know a person who is a part of our Orange Basketball family was found deceased by their mother. Nobody should ever have to experience that.

Nobody should ever have to apologize over feeling sad over this. I'm saddened more by this than I probably should be, but I'm okay with that.

I hope if you are feeling the same way that you can remember that not every human emotion has to have a perfect explanation to it.

I never got a chance to know Fab even though our time on the Hill coincided with one another, but I'll never forget watching him play in the Dome, especially that one incredible night against Herb Pope. I've said it before in one of the other threads, but that was easily one of the most memorable games I've ever been to, and it was 100% because of the big fella. A truly special player, and warts and all, I wish I had gotten a chance to speak to the type of person that he was.

Regardless, awful news to hear. One year older than I am today. Life is such a fragile thing. Best wishes to his family, both his actual family back home and the Syracuse family that he bonded with for two special years. Rest in peace.

Some of us wrote things without personal attacks. We seemed to touch people and those thoughts are gone. I wrote something in the wee hours of the morning and poured my heart out, only to have my post deleted. I didn't save what I wrote and it's gone. It's upsetting that so many beautiful posts were deleted just because of the ugly ones. In the grand scheme of things, this is not a big deal, of course. I should've saved my post. I'm so touched by the response to it. It was not easy to write.

EDIT: Is it possible for an admin to retrieve certain posts from the thread? Maybe post them here? The positive ones?

I'm so sad for so many reasons.

Most importantly, I wish the de Melo family well and I hope Fab is in a better place.

Last edited:
Very shocking to read about today. He had an uncanny ability to not only block shots but also to draw charges. Two moments I'll always remember were his 10 blocks against Seton Hall and that 360 dunk he had at the end of a road game, both during his sophomore year.

RIP. He always seemed like a likable and funny guy that was well liked by his teammates. Made enormous improvements and had a great sophomore year on one of our best teams ever. Big East defensive player of the year, and probably our best defensive center ever(it's either him or Etan).

This news is beyond shocking and sad.

I'll never forget that he sat directly behind us at a football game before his freshman year. He was pretty inconspicuous until he stood up. A young girl asked him if he played basketball. He replied in broken English, "I play ping pong". The rest of the game was hilarious as people started to recognize him. He had an amazing personality. RIP.

Some of us wrote things without personal attacks. We seemed to touch people and those thoughts are gone. I wrote something in the wee hours of the morning and poured my heart out, only to have my post deleted. I didn't save what I wrote and it's gone. It's upsetting that so many beautiful posts were deleted just because of the ugly ones. In the grand scheme of things, this is not a big deal, of course. I should've saved my post. I'm so touched by the response to it. It was not easy to write.

EDIT: Is it possible for an admin to retrieve certain posts from the thread? Maybe post them here? The positive ones?

Most importantly, I wish the de Melo family well and I hope Fab is in a better place.
There is a way to see past pages through the internet archive but it looks as if this site is no longer "crawled" by the archive.

Your post did not go unnoticed. Wish I had taken a screen shot as I figured that thread would disappear at some point. Thank you.

RIP, Fab. Thank you for some great memories -- you and your smile will always be remembered. My condolences to your family, friends, teammates, coaches and fans.

Last edited:
Something I always enjoyed about that play. Coach's expression right after the dunk as if saying 'man, I want to yell but WOW what a dunk!' JB really looked perplexed for a millisecond.

I think it was also JB about to shake Jay Wright's hand and he didn't want to come off that SU was showing up Villanova but JB was also slightly amused and impressed by Fab's dunk and athleticism.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom