RIP Greg Robinson | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Greg Robinson

Came to our NNJ holiday party many years ago and I played at a Whitman golf outing that he was at. Seemed like a truly nice person. Gone way too soon.

Just because it didn't work out for him at SU doesn't mean he wasn't a good coach. By all accounts from those in the business, he was in fact a very good coach. And it's obvious that he was a down to earth guy, and very much a gentleman who had the respect of his players and his peers.

Just because it didn't work out for him at SU doesn't mean he wasn't a good coach. By all accounts from those in the business, he was in fact a very good coach. And it's obvious that he was a down to earth guy, and very much a gentleman who had the respect of his players and his peers.

He certainly was an elite level defensive coordinator.

Running a whole program, plus media obligations were too much for him, too fast.

But he was a great guy, and a great coach.

He got hired too late in the cycle to assemble a good staff or recruit
Ehh I think there’s alot, alot more to it then that , Example I listened on a podcast of a player talk of him being recruited to cuse by Greg ( believe it was Tyler maronas old podcast) and it was basically come here do some strength training and you’ll be starting in a year or 2. When marrone came in that relaxed tone got thrown right out the window. Rip tho from what iv always heard he was an awesome human being .

It defiantly is perplexing tho how it all worked out given his resume.

A former Big East head official once remarked to me how nice of a guy Robinson was.
To that point, I had players tell me that they would rather go 1-10 playing for Greg than go to a bowl playing for Paul. (To be fair to Paul, he knew he was at the end when theses guys played for him. From what was told to me, the whole staff kind of nosedived in their interactions with the players.)

Donnie Webb and Dave Rahme formed an absolutely fantastic football beat writing team. They were wonderful. Great to see his byline again.

They really were. We were spoiled. Donnie's article about GRob is touching and very well written.

Donnie covering the beat, Rahme doing the Xs and Os. They worked so well together. And if you met them, as I did in O'Hare Airport after the 2008 Northwestern game, you'd find they were the nicest guys, loved talking SU football. Even in 2008 when things looked so bleak.

They really were. We were spoiled. Donnie's article about GRob is touching and very well written.

Donnie covering the beat, Rahme doing the Xs and Os. They worked so well together. And if you met them, as I did in O'Hare Airport after the 2008 Northwestern game, you'd find they were the nicest guys, loved talking SU football. Even in 2008 when things looked so bleak.

Dave has a big booming voice but was very nice and approachable guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom