RIP Pearl | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Pearl

Sad day for NYC hoops family.
Sad day for Syracuse hoops family.
Sad day for Big East hoops family.
Sad day for Northeast college hoops family.
Sad day for basketball fans.

RIP to Dwayne "Pearl" Washington and condolences to your friends and family.

the Legend of the Pearl will NEVER be forgotten...

jxbews.jpg

In my mind, Pearl will always be 20 years old, completing dominating games like no PG I have ever seen, enjoying every moment of it.

If you are lucky, there will be one or two special players in your lifetime that touch your heart and the soul. Pearl was that to me.

Many others in CNY and the rest of the world feel the same way.

God rest his soul.

it doesn't work like that, but yea, im sure they have some in the archive they can use

You're correct. I realize I completely oversimplified it, but I know it's a pretty easy thing to do, as I've see co-workers do the same thing for our website. I mean, everyday articles are written and pictures are included with the article. You don't get it wrong with something as important as someone passing away.

Reading through the the thread, the two comments that say the most are JB's point that he took SU from a regional program to a national one, and the other was that he was always exciting to watch. But it seems to me he did more than just energize and legitimize the Syracuse basketball community. He brought identity back to CNY at a time when it was really needed, and one that we all share today. Although there are many blocks in the foundation of the Orange nation, he was certainly the cornerstone. Thanks for everything, Pearl - the ride, the legacy and the identity, and RIP.

I just wish I was old enough to truly experience his greatness first-hand.
You really had to. Imagine having season tickets and for his whole career, not being able to go to the pee troughs or get a beer or take your eyes off the court, if he was in the game. Every possession at both ends was must-see for three years.

I just wish I was old enough to truly experience his greatness first-hand.

How cool would it have been to see Dave Bing and JB play on the same court! I did see Pearl play lots of times. He was really amazing driving to the basket. Almost unstoppable. Super fast and powerful. He was very creative around the basket. He was a really good NYC player so he was very crafty. He was so much fun to watch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom