RIP Pearl | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Pearl

The Dome was his Oyster.

I like the reference above of Pearl leaving the court "too soon" after the BC shot, running off with his hands in the air, in total happiness. It's a good way to remember him.

Last edited:
My first SU "hero". When I was a junior in high school, my grandmother was dying and she gave each of her grandchildren $100.00 to buy something they wanted and to show her so she could see the happiness in our faces as part of her goodbye. I went to Manny's and bought a Syracuse script Pearl jersey. The night before my grandmother died was the night we beat North Carolina to get to the 1987 Final Four. I was in the hospital that night wearing that jersey and my orange sweatpants. One of the nurses thought I was on the team and congratulated me on the win. She said, "you guys had a great win today". I responded by saying "yes we did". That jersey holds a special place in my heart as does Pearl.

You really had to. Imagine having season tickets and for his whole career, not being able to go to the pee troughs or get a beer or take your eyes off the court, if he was in the game. Every possession at both ends was must-see for three years.

This is a really good post. It was really like this. You never knew what he was going to do the next time he drove to the basket. It was mesmerizing.

I wanted to be Pearl growing up as a teen in the mid 80's. He was my first sports hero and I am so saddened by this news.

A Pearl statue should be erected outside the Dome before next season.

You're correct. I realize I completely oversimplified it, but I know it's a pretty easy thing to do, as I've see co-workers do the same thing for our website. I mean, everyday articles are written and pictures are included with the article. You don't get it wrong with something as important as someone passing away.

Look at the first paragraph of this USA Today story:

"Former University of Syracuse standout basketball player Dwayne "Pearl" Washington has died, the school announced in a news release on Wednesday. He was 52."

I take it that Mr. A.J. Perez is not a Newhouse grad

My first SU "hero". When I was a junior in high school, my grandmother was dying and she gave each of her grandchildren $100.00 to buy something they wanted and to show her so she could see the happiness in our faces as part of her goodbye. I went to Manny's and bought a Syracuse script Pearl jersey. The night before my grandmother died was the night we beat North Carolina to get to the 1987 Final Four. I was in the hospital that night wearing that jersey and my orange sweatpants. One of the nurses thought I was on the team and congratulated me on the win. She said, "you guys had a great win today". I responded by saying "yes we did". That jersey holds a special place in my heart as does Pearl.

Wonderful story, Sabach.

Reading through these posts I can hardly hold back from crying.

How many frickin billions of dollars have we spent on cancer research yet we still lose loved ones to it. I am so tired of this disease. What.

Georgetown grad, Class of 1978 here. I've posted a few times about Pearl here.

He was an electric player who was instrumental in the growth of the Big East and the rivalry between our respective schools. As one of the posters on the HoyaTalk board noted, Pearl was the only player who ever made Gene Smith, a Hoya defensive genius, look ordinary. With Pearl's passing, all of us are united in mourning this singular person; as great as he was on the court, he was even a better man off of it.

Requiescat in pace, Pearl. The Hoya community joins Orange Nation in fond remembrance, and please accept our sincere condolences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom