RIP Robin Williams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Robin Williams

Loved him in "Garp". His performance in the Fisher King is thought by many to be his best work. He was brilliant.
I can watch Good Will Hunting any time it is on. A great movie.

His performance in Fisher King was Oscar worthy. I couldn't believe how good he was in that.

Like some other posters above, I was never a huge Robin Williams fan.

But reading through this thread, I'm reminded of several movies, comedy specials, etc. aspects of his creative genius that I really enjoyed.

Given his behavior, it isn't much of a stretch to envision him as a conflicted, tortured, manic soul. Quick question: wasn't he just in some new sitcom? Was it not doing well? I wonder if that was contributory.

RIP.

. Quick question: wasn't he just in some new sitcom? Was it not doing well? I wonder if that was contributory.

RIP.

I guess Ed Asner was on that show with Robin Williams and he just released a statement saying he wondered if its cancellation was the last straw. I guess it was cancelled after its first season sometime in May. To be honest I never saw the show.

Mr. Keating in Dead Poets Society will always be one of my favorite characters. He was special RIP

A true genius. Mork, Mrs Doubtfire, Good Will Hunting...
Sometimes a genius has a tortured mind.
It must be so hard to play so many parts well but not be able to just play yourself. I think so many actors/actresses have this problem. Where does the role end and the person start?

Finally a Mrs. Doubtfire mention! What a gem that role and performance was. No question regarding his talent especially in the early years. It's amazing to me how some of these creative types/geniuses who, outside of 'work' where the stage is their sanctuary, struggle so much in life. RIP.

Last edited:
robinwilliamsrip.PNG

RIP

By the way, although that isn't RW and PD there is a definite resemblance - especially her.

STEVEHOLT said:
someone sold out and turned this into a commercial

Honestly hate to change the subject. But is that Wilson in the last few seconds of that? From house?

Dead Poets Society was one of the reasons I pursued education, no lie. Jumanji, Good Will Hunting, and One Hour Photo (one of the most creepy, yet underrated acting roles by Robin Williams) will always be some of my favorite movies. I have been interested in Stand Up comedy since my undergrad days - and his stand up is some of the best I've heard. It's truly a shame to hear about this news.

Today I realized the people that smile and laugh the most are at times the one suffering the most - laughter isn't only the best medicine, it's the best disguise.

It goes back to my old philosophy: You meet dozens of people that are crossing through your life every day. Be nice to them, smile, be kind if you happen to interact. You never know who is fighting a battle with their own demons.

Like some other posters above, I was never a huge Robin Williams fan.

But reading through this thread, I'm reminded of several movies, comedy specials, etc. aspects of his creative genius that I really enjoyed.

Given his behavior, it isn't much of a stretch to envision him as a conflicted, tortured, manic soul. Quick question: wasn't he just in some new sitcom? Was it not doing well? I wonder if that was contributory.

RIP.
It was called the Crazy Ones and was on CBS. They canx it due to ratings and expensive budget due to cast salaries. Here's an article about it:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Ones-renews-The-Mentalist-seventh-season.html

OMG...I totally forgot to mention "The Birdcage"! I laughed my arse off. Another Williams gem, even though he played the 'straight' man to Nathan Lane's over emotional comic relief.

I have a theory that really sensitive and creative people have a greater chance of suffering from depression. Bummer.

I thought that Robin Williams and Jonathan Winters were both just a bit different and both very talented.

There are about 1000 examples of this. ADHD, depression, and bipolar occur at dramatically higher rates among people who are a. successful creatives and b. successful entrepreneurs. You have to be a little crazy to take those kinds of risks and to be able to think about things in a way most people don't consider.

For a guy who was always in character or cracking a joke - he sure seemed like one of the most genuine guys around. The list of movies he starred in is unreal - so many gems.

Jumanji and Mrs. Doubtfire will always be classics to me

Totally. Mrs. Doubtfire is just a terrific comedy and great movie regardless of how brilliant he was in it. This dinner scene of him going back and forth from the bathrooms being Daniel and Mrs Doubtfire while crushing scotches is so great!

Most people never saw it and it didn't even return it's budget - but in What Dreams May Come he played a guy who was deeply in love with a woman who was truly his 'soul mate'. His character died in a car accident and he ascended into a 'spiritualist' version of heaven where your dreams become your reality among other interesting characteristics. He then watched his wife descend into depression and self torture, she killed herself and placed herself in her own personal version of hell, which per the movie is what happens to people who kill themselves - they are so trapped in their negative reality that they create a nightmare afterlife and are stuck there. Robin's character sets out on a journey to descend and bring her out of her self-imposed prison...the kicker is that if you stay too long you get trapped in her vision because it is so powerful and encompassing. He goes to see her, can't break through to her, and decides in one final act of love to stay with her in the sad world she created. This somehow jumpstarts something in the wife and she drags him up to heaven where the two of them live for a while and then decide to re-incarnate as babies so they can live life and find one another again. Very new-agey and a little bit hokey. But pretty interesting given what's happening, since Robin really seemed attached to that view of life and death in interviews he gave at the time of release.