RIP Robin Williams | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Robin Williams

Haven't seen anyone, in any comments, mention Popeye. Who else could have played Popeye? Oldest memory I have of my dad was him taking me to see Popeye. (dad also took me to see Scanners, which I think I'm still traumatized by).

Never really thought about how large a body of work he had.

I've been sparring with people on Facebook trying to shame people for feeling sad about this. Yeah, believe me, I get it, veteran suicide is bad but holy , being bummed about Robin Williams is not a sign of societal decay and celebrity worship. Even worse, he was a huge supporter of the USO so I don't get why certain people are being such contrarian about this. Okay, rant over.

Good Will Hunting and Good Morning Vietnam are two all-time classics. The scene in GMV where he meets all the soldiers going north on the trucks kills me.

I've been sparring with people on Facebook trying to shame people for feeling sad about this. Yeah, believe me, I get it, veteran suicide is bad but holy , being bummed about Robin Williams is not a sign of societal decay and celebrity worship. Even worse, he was a huge supporter of the USO so I don't get why certain people are being such contrarian about this. Okay, rant over.

Good Will Hunting and Good Morning Vietnam are two all-time classics. The scene in GMV where he meets all the soldiers going north on the trucks kills me.
You should know by now that there are people that take a contrarian view just to tick people off and start wild discussions. A-hole is a kind description of these jerks.

RIP Robin. Sad hearing about the details of the autopsy. He def did not want to live.

I only knew him as a stand up comic. Okay I know he acted but never saw one of his movies. After reading this thread I will have to correct that. Seems his acting was more appreciated than his comic genius?

OMG...I totally forgot to mention "The Birdcage"! I laughed my arse off. Another Williams gem, even though he played the 'straight' man to Nathan Lane's over emotional comic relief.

My all time favorite. Had to appreciate the way Robin played off the amazing cast - Hank Azaria and Nathan Lane, Gene Hackman

Then there's this nugget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

My all time favorite. Had to appreciate the way Robin played off the amazing cast - Hank Azaria and Nathan Lane, Gene Hackman

Hackman had to have LOVED that role. He was still in the midst of his macho, bad guy, anti-hero roles...and then he's on set with those three guys in the most non-macho setting of all. I honestly don't know how he kept a straight face. Sitting in that room that looked like the Hotel Vatican and being serious? LOL! The chemistry between Williams and Azaria was awesome. Azaria killed it in that role. LMFAO!

Seems his acting was more appreciated than his comic genius?
Both for me. Great dramatic actor and would have never thought that growing up and watching him in the 80s. Either way, he is probably one of the all time spontaneously funny people. We all have friends like this (I like to think I'm one of three of my buddies, one is passed away unfortunately at 38 years old), but Williams blew us all away by miles.

Anyone like his role in Insomnia? Thought he was great in that one.

Indeed, great reference, Tee. [As an aside, that film as a whole was great, very well written, acted, directed, and produced by the likes of Nolan, Pacino, Swank, etc. The brains and scenery in that film were both elite.] As one or two others rightly noted, he compellingly played a similarly disturbed criminal in One Hour Photo, another underrated dramatic performance, I think. See that one?

Last edited:
Indeed, great reference, Tee. [As an aside, that film as a whole was great, very well written, acted, directed, and produced by the likes of Nolan, Pacino, Swank, etc. The brains and scenery in that film were both elite.] As one or two others rightly noted, he compellingly played a similarly disturbed criminal in One Hour Photo, another underrated dramatic performance, I think. See that one?
Missed that one, but heard good things. Hope to watch it soon.

Couldn't let this thread go without mentioning Hook. He was unbelievable in it. It is one of the most underrated movies of all time, and might be the actual best movie to watch with your kids.

Sure Good Will Hunting was "better" (and is amongst my favorite all time movies), but I think he was made to play his role in Hook. Just the perfect blend of drama and comedy, serious and goofy.

docsu said:
Has there been an actor with greater range?
Hanks maybe? Clooney? Murray? Probably a pretty short list

Hanks maybe? Clooney? Murray? Probably a pretty short list
James Cagney, could play a gangster thug in one movie, and a song-and-dance man in the next one. Angels With Dirty Faces and Yankee Doodle Dandy
James%20Cagney_2.jpg

bevosu said:
I have a theory that really sensitive and creative people have a greater chance of suffering from depression. Bummer. I thought that Robin Williams and Jonathan Winters were both just a bit different and both very talented.

As a bipolar person with a very active creative streak, I can assure you that you're correct. Furthermore, I believe society could not have advanced without the creative, revolutionary sparks that come with the manic or hypomanic states. So it's not entirely a bad thing, as long as the illness is kept in check. I suspect Robin Williams' meds stopped working (he acknowledged he was bipolar so I hope he was on them). Meds are very hard to regulate. I was on leave from work for three months this year because they stopped working and I'm lucky we found the right combo so fast. Plus my understanding is Williams had a substance addiction. That's not helpful in regulating the meds. It's amazing how many people self medicate because they are ignorant of the signs of mental illness, and/or the stigma and difficulty in getting treatment keeps them from getting treated properly. I hope the new health insurance makes getting treatment easier.