Roberson is making huge leaps | Syracusefan.com

Roberson is making huge leaps

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Amazing improvement game after game. Who knows where he will be by the end of the year. Just goes to show you how, when given an extended opportunity, some guys will truly take advantage.

We were one big fat guy away from winning this game. Mind you, not a good big fat guy literally just a big fat dude to absorb some minutes and some fouls.

I was surprised at his paltry numbers on the boards tonight. Don't know what happened. Seemed like he was getting boards. Maybe they didn't credit his tips like they do at the dome.

I was surprised at his paltry numbers on the boards tonight. Don't know what happened. Seemed like he was getting boards. Maybe they didn't credit his tips like they do at the dome.

What's most amazing to me is that he is such a great natural rebounder despite weighing all of 205 pounds. I think he got big boyed to a certain extent today, with UNC having such heavyweights inside.

But he had a very nice game otherwise in just about every other respect.

He looks alot bigger than 205 given his height. He looks like a solid 220. As far as not getting boards, he was often times dealing with two guys between he and the rim. On several occassions he got his hands on the boards and just couldn't secure it. Not many teams are as big as Carolina.

What's most amazing to me is that he is such a great natural rebounder despite weighing all of 205 pounds. I think he got big boyed to a certain extent today, with UNC having such heavyweights inside.

Probably right about the big boyed. Like that phrase. I did see him get out positioned a few times on the glass, especially when he was on D. I imagine that their bigs know how badly the guards have been chucking threes this year that they just know where the garbage boards will be for the easy put backs.

Kid could become the beast if he hits the weights and perfects the 16-18 footer

By the way, that 5th foul was pure horse poop. I'm really excited about TR. I enjoy watching him rebound almost as much as I enjoy watching Christmas working the post on offense. He also seems like a really likable kid and easy to root for.

Amazing improvement game after game. Who knows where he will be by the end of the year. Just goes to show you how, when given an extended opportunity, some guys will truly take advantage.

We were one big fat guy away from winning this game. Mind you, not a good big fat guy literally just a big fat dude to absorb some minutes and some fouls.

Along these lines, there has to be a way to put Chino in like 1 minute prior to a TV timeout and tell him just to wall up on defense and if you foul, so be it. In this stretch coming up Xmas will need some kind of respite. also just keeping him off the court for 2 or 3 minutes could prevent a foul and of course the more fatigued you are the more likely you are to foul. I have to think we'll be seeing some Chino over the next month.

He didnt even touch that guy on his 5th foul.

Question for stat gurus, if you tip a missed shot but it doesnt go in, does it count as a rebound? I realize in this game it would not regardless because it was called a foul.

Along these lines, there has to be a way to put Chino in like 1 minute prior to a TV timeout and tell him just to wall up on defense and if you foul, so be it. In this stretch coming up Xmas will need some kind of respite. also just keeping him off the court for 2 or 3 minutes could prevent a foul and of course the more fatigued you are the more likely you are to foul. I have to think we'll be seeing some Chino over the next month.

Love that idea.

Question for stat gurus, if you tip a missed shot but it doesnt go in, does it count as a rebound? I realize in this game it would not regardless because it was called a foul.

If we are asking stat questions, here's mine: if you catch an airball is it a rebound? A steal? What if the shot was blocked first? What if it was an alley oop pass?

We saw a glimpse of what Tyler can be offensively last night. He hit a couple of nice mid range shots and finished well at the rim. You can bet he'll come back stronger next year. We haven't seen his ceiling yet...

Oh thought you meant he was jumping very high!

If we are asking stat questions, here's mine: if you catch an airball is it a rebound? A steal? What if the shot was blocked first? What if it was an alley oop pass?
Scorer's decision. If he determines it's a shot (whether blocked or not), you get a rebound . If he thinks it's a pass, you get a steal.

Scorer's opinion. Was the tip "controlled". If so, he could award you a rebound--and of course you get a rebound if the tip goes into the basket. If you just flail at the ball and get a finger on it, no stat for you.

I am very pleased by Tyler's offensive progress, but he actually did not have a good game yesterday. His strength is his rebounding ability. When he only snags three of em & when we get out-rebounded by 15 it is hard to say that he successfully did his primary job. UNC controlled the glass & that is way we were never able to break away from them when we were ahead. Tyler needs to show that he can get his share of boards even when the opponents are bigger.

I am very pleased by Tyler's offensive progress, but he actually did not have a good game yesterday. His strength is his rebounding ability. When he only snags three of em & when we get out-rebounded by 15 it is hard to say that he successfully did his primary job. UNC controlled the glass & that is way we were never able to break away from them when we were ahead. Tyler needs to show that he can get his share of boards even when the opponents are bigger.

He was clearly tired last night. Definitely affected his rebounding. He got bodied out of position a few too many times as well. I think one of the reasons he was a little low on offensive boards is because he actually made his shots as did Cooney.

One other negative from last night's game - Tyler got beat baseline like 3 or 4 times resulting in easy baskets. He just can't allow that to happen so easily. Maybe that's being tired as well, because I don't recall seeing that previously.

Scorer's decision. If he determines it's a shot (whether blocked or not), you get a rebound . If he thinks it's a pass, you get a steal.

Ha yeah so also, I bet sometimes it comes down to who the guy getting the ball is. If its a big guy, give him the board. If it's a guard, a steal maybe.

I read a hgreat message board string of posts years back about how NBA scorers were, shall we say, encouraged, to give out assists more liberally to the great PG and to credit blocks to shotblockers if they were around the ball at all

I don't know about questions like can God have a thought so complex that even she can't understand it. But I do know from the tree falling down in the forest making noise thing that a basketball foul is only a foul if the referee blows his whistle.

Great thread...hard not to be excited about Tylers improvement this season! If he develops the mid range jumper he will be a very dangerous weapon for us.

He was clearly tired last night. Definitely affected his rebounding. He got bodied out of position a few too many times as well. I think one of the reasons he was a little low on offensive boards is because he actually made his shots as did Cooney.

I don't think he was tired in the first half, he just wasn't getting it done on the glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom