Rocky Long | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Rocky Long

1578698636137.png

(This is what comes to mind when you have 3 kids under age 5 and read a thread about leaks)

New episode - possible plot development.

"Those retained include offensive line coach Mike Schmidt, wide receivers coach Hunkie Cooper, linebackers coach/defensive coordinator Zach Arnett, special teams coordinator Doug Deakin and cornerbacks coach Demetrius Sumler.

Arnett remains a candidate for other open defensive coordinator positions around the country. Among them could be the open spot at Syracuse, which is where Long reportedly interviewed at the beginning of the week."

Hall of Famer Michael Jack Schmidt?

Ok, first off Rocky doesn’t have an agent. Has always somewhat reviewed his own contract here. Always commented how he felt he made too much and only asked for raises for the staff. Questioned why he onetime got a raise and was told it was mandatory because of the CSU bylaws or something.
Rocky and Arnett will not be a packaged deal anywhere. Hoke actually offered the DC job to Rocky recently and he turned it down because it’s Arnett’s time. Asked if Arnett left for another job would he be interested in the SDSU DC job and Rocky said yes. Rocky feels Arnett, Gonzales and White should all be on their own now. Arnett was rumored to have interviewed for the UNM head coaching position. He’ll be a P5 DC either this offseason or next.
I think there was a mention of the stadium somewhere in here. SDSU is buying the Qualcomm stadium property from the city and developing it. It’s a couple trolley stops from campus. Stadium construction is hopefully starting in April.
Any Rocky questions let me know. Ran across this site when it broke Rocky was at Syracuse. Saw it jump from 4 to 28.

Ok, first off Rocky doesn’t have an agent. Has always somewhat reviewed his own contract here. Always commented how he felt he made too much and only asked for raises for the staff. Questioned why he onetime got a raise and was told it was mandatory because of the CSU bylaws or something.
Rocky and Arnett will not be a packaged deal anywhere. Hoke actually offered the DC job to Rocky recently and he turned it down because it’s Arnett’s time. Asked if Arnett left for another job would he be interested in the SDSU DC job and Rocky said yes. Rocky feels Arnett, Gonzales and White should all be on their own now. Arnett was rumored to have interviewed for the UNM head coaching position. He’ll be a P5 DC either this offseason or next.
I think there was a mention of the stadium somewhere in here. SDSU is buying the Qualcomm stadium property from the city and developing it. It’s a couple trolley stops from campus. Stadium construction is hopefully starting in April.
Any Rocky questions let me know. Ran across this site when it broke Rocky was at Syracuse. Saw it jump from 4 to 28.
Welcome. Thanks for the info!

Do SDST fans lament his "retiring"? Or is it "next man up"?

Welcome. Thanks for the info!

Do SDST fans lament his "retiring"? Or is it "next man up"?
He doesn’t want to be a head coach anymore. He much more enjoys just being a coach and talking football. He’ll be coaching somewhere next year but has to be the right place. Money isn’t a driving force. He loves the game and teaching kids.
If I remember correctly he applied for the SDSU head coaching job twice before. Once Tom Craft got it and the next time Chuck Long got it. I don’t believe he applied when Brady Hoke got it. He absolutely loves OB and the perfect place for him to live. (For the Chuck Long hire the committee recommended Jimbo Fisher but the AD went with his own choice.)

He doesn’t want to be a head coach anymore. He much more enjoys just being a coach and talking football. He’ll be coaching somewhere next year but has to be the right place. Money isn’t a driving force. He loves the game and teaching kids.
If I remember correctly he applied for the SDSU head coaching job twice before. Once Tom Craft got it and the next time Chuck Long got it. I don’t believe he applied when Brady Hoke got it. He absolutely loves OB and the perfect place for him to live. (For the Chuck Long hire the committee recommended Jimbo Fisher but the AD went with his own choice.)

Welcome to our board.

OB?

What is your prediction where Rocky will coach next season?

Long made $800K when he became SDSU Coach in 2011.

Nine years and nine bowl games later, his salary: $879,000.

He may be his own agent, but he’s not very good at it! LOL.

Math geek coming out in me...

If he stayed at $800k, going from Cali to NYS, he'd save $35-40k just in state income tax liability alone. Furthermore, housing prices aren't even comparable.

And we have white sand here... it's just very light and falls from the sky a few months of the year. Our summers are untouchable though.

Playing detective and reading between the lines of this whole thing has literally been one of the highlights of my week. I tried to explain it to my wife and got a blank stare. Thank goodness for this board.

I also really enjoy being the guy who has not yet lost faith.
Nailed it. I'm a fellow Le Moyne guy and Cuse fan. We think alike.

Welcome to our board.

OB?

What is your prediction where Rocky will coach next season?
As others stated Ocean Beach. The San Diego River separates OB from PB. Pacific Beach another beach town that has more college age bars.
All depends on Arnett. If Arnett leaves I’d be shocked if Rocky wasn’t back at SDSU. If Arnett stays well I’m not sure any option I’ve heard is appealing. I say that because Rocky is big on time of possession. He feels if the offense scores fast or is 3 and out most of the game it puts huge pressure on his defense. Syracuse, USC and Leach’s offense I believe are all out of the Top 50 for time of possession.
Time of possession I think will factor into his decision. The current system and the players he has to work with. When he became our DC under Hoke and we switched to the 3-3-5 he said he felt it would take something like 3-5 years to truly implement his defense.

Long made $800K when he became SDSU Coach in 2011.

Nine years and nine bowl games later, his salary: $879,000.

He may be his own agent, but he’s not very good at it! LOL.
I believe it was after his first contract extension. He was on the radio and was being asked about his new contract. He said they wanted to give me one so I said ok. They asked how much and he said I want the same exact contract. That’s when he found out he was forced to get some bump in pay. A season or two later he found out the AD snuck some extra bonus milestones in there. When asked later on he said I asked for the same contract walked in one day signed a piece of paper and walked out. So he had no idea what was in there because he didn’t read it.
Listen to some of his interviews and you’ll hear an honest, old school football coach who doesn’t need any fancy stuff in life.

I believe it was after his first contract extension. He was on the radio and was being asked about his new contract. He said they wanted to give me one so I said ok. They asked how much and he said I want the same exact contract. That’s when he found out he was forced to get some bump in pay. A season or two later he found out the AD snuck some extra bonus milestones in there. When asked later on he said I asked for the same contract walked in one day signed a piece of paper and walked out. So he had no idea what was in there because he didn’t read it.
Listen to some of his interviews and you’ll hear an honest, old school football coach who doesn’t need any fancy stuff in life.

Well then he should come to Syracuse. We're not fancy!!

Math geek coming out in me...

If he stayed at $800k, going from Cali to NYS, he'd save $35-40k just in state income tax liability alone. Furthermore, housing prices aren't even comparable.

And we have white sand here... it's just very light and falls from the sky a few months of the year. Our summers are untouchable though.

Don't take him down this path, or he'll end up at USF or FAU.

I went to SU, I've been to San Diego.

I know which one I'd rather revisit, and it ain't the Salt City.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom