Roku or Amazon Fire Tv | Syracusefan.com

Roku or Amazon Fire Tv

gbo

Resident Clemson Fan
I can't decide on what to get. What say you??

Not knocking either, but if you're an iPhone or Mac user, Apple TV is nice also.

Not knocking either, but if you're an iPhone or Mac user, Apple TV is nice also.
I am not. I honestly don't know much about Apple products.

I should also add that I have Amazon Prime. I don't know if that affects the answer...

I can't decide on what to get. What say you??

I can't speak on Amazon Fire, but I have a Roku 3 and it helped me decide to "cut the cord" (I got rid of cable TV). It cost around $90 and I use it regularly. The apps for Netflix, Hulu, and Sling are great and easy to use. The YouTube app is not so great, but with the iPhone connectivity that allows me to use my phone as a remote, it works fine.

Can't lose with the Roku 3 in my opinion.

maxxyz said:
I can't speak on Amazon Fire, but I have a Roku 3 and it helped me decide to "cut the cord" (I got rid of cable TV). It cost around $90 and I use it regularly. The apps for Netflix, Hulu, and Sling are great and easy to use. The YouTube app is not so great, but with the iPhone connectivity that allows me to use my phone as a remote, it works fine. Can't lose with the Roku 3 in my opinion.
Question since you cut the cord...
How do you use say ESPN app without a cable provider. It's my understanding a lot o these app won't work without a subscription to a provider. ESPN for instance only gives you espn3 content.

I bought a Roku stick this weekend but I couldn't it to hook up to my wireless. All of my other wireless devices (including my AppleTV) work fine in the same room. I did a little online research and found that Roku can be hit or miss on which wireless routers it works well with. I could have bought a new router, but I decided to return the Roku instead. The only reason we got it was so that we could watch SlingTV (with Espn) ($20 per month). We now are syncing our iPad with our AppleTV. It works pretty well.

Can't speak to Roku, but I have an Amazon Fire Stick and it's great.

Question since you cut the cord...
How do you use say ESPN app without a cable provider. It's my understanding a lot o these app won't work without a subscription to a provider. ESPN for instance only gives you espn3 content.

I watch SU games at the local bar mostly with my buds. My wife was so happy to get rid of cable she happily sends me (and sometimes joins me) to watch games at a pub. I thought I would hate losing ESPN, but it doesn't bother me much. I figure it will only be a year or two before ESPN is available streaming.

Am trying to make the same decision. Roku is the same price as the Amazon fire right now on Amazon. 39.99

Who's user interface is better? easier to use, search, more visually appealing?

Am trying to make the same decision. Roku is the same price as the Amazon fire right now on Amazon. 39.99

Everything I have read seems that the Roku interface is better because it isn't geared towards a specific app like Amazon is.

I watch SU games at the local bar mostly with my buds. My wife was so happy to get rid of cable she happily sends me (and sometimes joins me) to watch games at a pub. I thought I would hate losing ESPN, but it doesn't bother me much. I figure it will only be a year or two before ESPN is available streaming.

This is how I used to watch all of my Syracuse games before I had kids. The other day, my wife was out of town and I wanted to watch the SU-Clemson football game so I took the kids with me to Buffalo Wild Wings. Right at the entrance they had a stack of game pads full of video games. My kids don't get to play video games at home so they were in heaven. So I sat there and drank beer and watched the game while my kids rotted their brains on their own screens and ate fried food. It was the most unwholesome thing ever, but it was pretty fun. It was also when I decided that I needed to get Sling TV at home to get me through basketball season.

I have a Roku and an Apple TV (not the brand new version). I prefer the Apple TV, but both are great!

I have both. Amazon Fire works fine, but I love my Roku 3. It's awesome.

Roku, for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom