Round 1 NCAA - Friday | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Round 1 NCAA - Friday

Ugh. I picked SMU in my survivor pool. Also picked them in my bracket to make sweet sixteen given Baylor's recent tournament ineptitude. Double whammy. Should have known based on Syracuse last year and VCU a few years back that the teams that are controversial picks to make the tourney always end up going on a run.

How does a survivor pool work in the ncaat?

Honestly who didn't have Rhode Island over Creighton.
That like Middle Tennessee over Minnesota seemed obvious.

Creighton without Mo Watson was a shell of a top 25 team.

How does a survivor pool work in the ncaat?

You choose one team to win for each day of play. If the team loses, you are out. If the team wins, you advance to the next day but can't choose that team again for the rest of the tourney. Last person left who doesn't pick a team that loses or who doesn't run out of teams wins. It gets pretty difficult if you make it to the second or third weekend when there aren't many teams to choose from, especially if you picked some of those teams already.

You choose one team to win for each day of play. If the team loses, you are out. If the team wins, you advance to the next day but can't choose that team again for the rest of the tourney. Last person left who doesn't pick a team that loses or who doesn't run out of teams wins. It gets pretty difficult if you make it to the second or third weekend when there aren't many teams to choose from, especially if you picked some of those teams already.
That's pretty cool

I've said all year (and on this board) - I never understood the SMU love. They beat no one good except Cincinnati all year. THey are 6 6'6 guys who all do the same thing. They have no depth, no PG, no big man, no guy who can get a bucket on his own. Ojeyele is good, but none of the other guys will even sniff the NBA. Their coach got fired from Illinois State.

They were the product of a bad AAC. Ben Mooore, one of their core guys who is graduating after 4 years at SMU - will leave with 0 NCAA tournament wins.

Yeah - I'll pass on SMU and continue to do so

To be fair that only includes two tournaments. They were under suspension for one, and got jobbed and left out in the other.

I did expect a little more out of them/

Speaking of getting jobbed, Dayton has had some hideous calls go against them tonight. Kyle Davis had two critical calls go against him and both times he had all ball.

Michael Stephens making his presence felt right away. Foul called 2 seconds into the MSU-Miami game.

One of these Miami cheerleaders needs to be muzzled. Jeez! Maybe the most annoying voice in human history!

Is Michigan State this bad? I mean we clamped Miami to a tight game we should have won.
Michigan State would have been 11th-12th in the ACC this year.

Dayton got screwed. The refs are a joke. They have decided so many games. This is disgusting to watch. The NCAA is a joke. Casual fans don't care, I guess. I'd like to see a fair game.

Dayton got screwed. The refs are a joke. They have decided so many games. This is disgusting to watch. The NCAA is a joke. Casual fans don't care, I guess. I'd like to see a fair game.

No dog in that fight but the reffing in that game was effin' brutal against Dayton. I'm surprised Miller didn't blow a gasket.

Miami is 2-3ing the out of them! Beautiful camera work on that last possession.

I saw one bad call. Maybe I wasn't watching closely enough. Or allowing my rooting interest to distort my vision. (F Dayton).

You knew MSU would come back in this game. Miami is not good enough to run away from them. And Izzo always finds a way.

Is it just me, or has this been one of the worst tournaments ever? No big upsets, a lot of blowouts, just no juice at all.

You knew MSU would come back in this game. Miami is not good enough to run away from them. And Izzo always finds a way.

Miami has scored 2 pts in the last 10 minutes or so.

I know everyone likes to whip on the B10, but they could go 5-2 in the first round... and that record is more relevant since they are all games that are close to "toss-ups",

In no way am I saying they are great... and they might have anybody move on after this weekend, but they did perform quite well the first few days.

Miami being Miami. Good coach but a low IQ team.

Clark Kellog is such a B1G homer. I generally like his analysis. But have to disregard anything he says about B1G teams. Surprised the network hasn't made him more aware of it.

I know everyone likes to whip on the B10, but they could go 5-2 in the first round... and that record is more relevant since they are all games that are close to "toss-ups",

In no way am I saying they are great... and they might have anybody move on after this weekend, but they did perform quite well the first few days.

I agree with you. Not bad at all and a little surprising.

ACC, on the other hand, has been kinda iffy. We'll see what Miami does but so far wholly unimpressive. WF and VT are gone. ND and UVA were life and death with 12 seeds. The top 4 took care of business but next round will be more telling.

Not that I expect it to happen, but it wouldn't shock me to see Kent State over UCLA. I think the MAC is better than people think, Kent State looked good in their conference championship win over Akron (who just won at Houston in the NIT), and Alford has a history of losing in the first round to a 14 seed (Northwestern State over Iowa). Not to mention Ball hurt his hand in the Pac12 tourney and his overbearing father could be a distraction.
giphy.gif