Roy Danforth | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Danforth

Never heard of it. Must be like The University of the United States. Really small school...

how-well-do-you-remember-coming-to-america-2-834-1445709695-4_dblbig.jpg
Yes, it's D-3 now. AMOF, I just looked at their website for sheets and giggles and they're playing Skidmore in MLax down in Tennessee on March 12.

He got a lot more money to go to Tulane. Roy was a delegate at the DNC that year and his leaving had to be timed just right. But it was for more money.

He got a lot more money to go to Tulane. Roy was a delegate at the DNC that year and his leaving had to be timed just right. But it was for more money.
Well Boeheim's first contract was like $28k which is approximately $120k today. I assumed Roy was not making much more than $40k...

The story I really want to hear is what happened with Fred Lewis in 1967-68. He'd taken over a program that had lost 27 in a row, recruited Dave Bing, had a team score almost 100 points a game. Then in a rebuilding year, he went 20-6 and at one time was 19-2 and #8 in the country. He's recruited Wayne Ward, Ernie Austin, Bill Smith and Bob McDaniel and should have had a national title contender. Then it all got blown up in one year.

The story I really want to hear is what happened with Fred Lewis in 1967-68. He'd taken over a program that had lost 27 in a row, recruited Dave Bing, had a team score almost 100 points a game. Then in a rebuilding year, he went 20-6 and at one time was 19-2 and #8 in the country. He's recruited Wayne Ward, Ernie Austin, Bill Smith and Bob McDaniel and should have had a national title contender. Then it all got blown up in one year.
Ward, McDaniel, and, to a lesser extent, Smith were all head cases.

We've had head cases since. That never got the coach fired.
But Ward quit (was shown the door?) during his soph year, McDaniel bailed after one game his senior year, and Smith was suspended more than once for his dirty play.

But Ward quit (was shown the door?) during his soph year, McDaniel bailed after one game his senior year, and Smith was suspended more than once for his dirty play.

He was suspended for punching a referee- the year after Lewis left.

Ward, McDaniel, and, to a lesser extent, Smith were all head cases.
On November 23, 1968 Wayne Ward was arrested along with Syracuse running back Oley Allen. The two were charged with robbing the DeWitt Colonial Inn on August 31st that year, and with burglary of the Top-Of-The-Hill restaurant in Camillus on November 11th. They both would be convicted of the crimes and serve jail time.

Some Danforth stuff...Post Standard April 22 1975.

Typos included.

COLLEGE Feedback The SU Dilemma "Three years ago, nobody said a thing when it was time for him to renew his contract," a spokesman for the Syracuse University athletic department was saying yesterday. "Now, sud - mm Batzold Iaeniy it s a not news topic. The reference, of course, was made about Syracuse basketball coach Roy Danforth, who may or may not be returning to coach the Orange next season, depending on whom you talk with. According to one source: "Rov has been of - Ifered a contract with a professional basketball Steam in the ABA (American Basketball Assoc iation). The contract calls for some big money, week." Danforth, a clever poker player who doesn't like to give away his hand, refuses to confirm or deny the report, which only leaves the sports community in the dark, rather than sheddiiig any light on an already puzzling situation. Danforth's coaching stock has risen 1,000 points since Syracuse's Cinderella trip to the NCAA's Final Four this season in San Diego. That performance, on top of a seven - year career which has seen SU make five consecutive post - season tournament appearances, makes Danforth a distinct possibility to wind up in any coaching position in the country, college or pro. There was some talk that he would have a shot at the Illinois job, vacated when Gene Bartow left to succeed John Wooden at UCLA. But that job was filled quickly and Roy never got an interview. Then last week, sources had Danforth pegged as the leading candidate to fill the head job at the University of Oklahoma. Danforth's wife, Caroline, said Roy had withdrawn his name from consideration, saying the move West and the rebuilding job necessary at Oklahoma was just too much. And the money wasn't right either, with the new Sooner coach signing a three year contract for about $24,000, just slightly more than what Danforth made in his last three years at Syracuse. Now, there is talk of a possible ABA job, with the rumors of other college job offers, namely New Mexico State, still in the air. Which all leads to the ultimate question: Why has Syracuse failed to offer Danforth a new contract? "I don't think it's been so much our reluctance to sit down with him as it's been his being out of town so much," the athletic department spokesman said yesterday. "The team returned from San Diego on a Tuesday night and he left town the next day." But why couldn't Danforth have been approached in San Diego? Athletic Director Les Dye and Chancellor Melvin A. Egg - ers were both on the west coast at the time of the NCAA semifinals. "I don't think they we're going to rip up his contract as if the team had just won the pennant in baseball," the spokesman claims. "That's not done very often in college athletics." That's the type of thinking which is hurting SU athletics. The . gold rush to the NCAA semifinals was worth approximately $120,000 to the University's general fund, so why not re - invest some of the money to insure the return of the man who put Syracuse basketball there in the first place? Even if Syracuse was to offer a 810,000 yearly raise, higher than any probable offer, it would still only cost $40,000 for a four - vear contract, leaving an 880,000 profit from the NCAA tournament. Even now. despite reports of Danforth possibly headed for an - . other job, the efforts to renegotiate the contract have failed to ' make any progress, although Athletic Director Dye says differently. "Roy has had a lot of trouble with the new contract," one of : his closest friends says. "I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in , the NBA or the ABA," says another. ; And he might. The community would wish him well if he was • to leave for another school or the professional ranks because nobody really wants to see him leave. It would be a costly mistake

Why did Eggers/Dye not make an offer or did they? As an economist Eggers would have seen that a higher offer was financially warranted. If Danforth was holding out for the pros why did he leave for another college job? Was Danforth pushed out? Was he demanding too much? Syracuse had no backup plan in that they had no one in particular that they wanted as a new coach. Did they not expect Danforth to leave?

Why did Eggers/Dye not make an offer or did they? As an economist Eggers would have seen that a higher offer was financially warranted. If Danforth was holding out for the pros why did he leave for another college job? Was Danforth pushed out? Was he demanding too much? Syracuse had no backup plan in that they had no one in particular that they wanted as a new coach. Did they not expect Danforth to leave?

So many decades later? Heck they may have just wanted him to commit one way or the other. When he got to Tulane he also kept flirting with other jobs too. He even got out of coaching all together just 5 years later. Sure seems to have worked out fine.

You sure do ask a lot of questions for someone from New Jersey.

On November 23, 1968 Wayne Ward was arrested along with Syracuse running back Oley Allen. The two were charged with robbing the DeWitt Colonial Inn on August 31st that year, and with burglary of the Top-Of-The-Hill restaurant in Camillus on November 11th. They both would be convicted of the crimes and serve jail time.

I hope they didn't spend it all in one place.

Dino Babers just had a couple of players arrested fro robbery. He's not leaving over it. What I remember hearing is that the players were rebelling against Lewis because he was too harsh. I wonder how they would have liked Boeheim?

Truth be told one of the best coaching seasons of all time was
Roys Runts.

What Danforth did with that small, and less talented team was absolutely INCREDIBLE. And yes, the character and "never quit" attitude of those guys was a big part of it.

I recollect reading at the time his wife was not too happy in Syracuse and was pushing him to return south. The Tulane offer came up and he foolishly jumped.

Despite the smart ass answer I gave in my first post, I am really interested in knowing the story as well. Tulane was not that great by 1975 and had left the SEC 9 years earlier after it had decided to de-emphasize sports.

They were on of the founding members of the SEC (1933 standings below)

View attachment 90028

Something doesn't seem to fit with the rest -- what the hell is a Sewanee? Was it the SEC's version of Rutgers? I guess they did go 14-105 in their time in the SEC, so the record is definitely a match. They also had a message board poster called Sewanee Sam who was their version of Rutgers Al.
Sewanee, the Univetsity of the South, is a very small private school that's largely populated by robe-wearing alcoholics who are fairly smart (it's a decent school).

Athletics, however, never really could hang w/ the football factories in the SEC.

Still, and very ironically, Sewanee fielded one of the best football teams ever (for its era) - if not the best team ever in 1899. They ran tables against Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, and 'Ole Miss in something crazy like a week-long trip. They continued to run amok through the rest of the southeast, destroying everything in their path. 'Twas a different era.

What Danforth did with that small, and less talented team was absolutely INCREDIBLE. And yes, the character and "never quit" attitude of those guys was a big part of it.

They were short, but they did have talent. Seet D and the brothers Lee. Bet you Wadach at 6-1 could outrebound a ton of forwards in this day and age. And Kid Kohls would be deadly with a 3pt line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom