RSN - Hulu - Here We Go Again | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

RSN - Hulu - Here We Go Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I cancelled Hulu, ends today. I like this dialogue, the only thing I need one of these for is network TV NFL games and everything Syracuse. What's the best bet between providers for ACCN, RSN, etc. to make sure I can get as much Syracuse as possible?

Cable which is where I’m likely headed back to. I’ve missed half the games so far this year after missing almost none in 10+ yrs. Was previously getting HBO/showtime free with spectrum and couple other channels I don’t get with YTTV. Just hasn’t been worth the $ difference. Saving some $ but also missing games, luckily this isn’t a 10 win season.

Cable which is where I’m likely headed back to. I’ve missed half the games so far this year after missing almost none in 10+ yrs. Was previously getting HBO/showtime free with spectrum and couple other channels I don’t get with YTTV. Just hasn’t been worth the $ difference. Saving some $ but also missing games, luckily this isn’t a 10 win season.
I have spectrum still, I’m looking for another one to supplement it with.

I have spectrum still, I’m looking for another one to supplement it with.

I had spectrum and will go back to it when I get a chance. I just don’t have the time to take off work to be home to install whatever needs to be done. I moved so if I was in my old house I would just pick up a new box but previous home owners had a dish so spectrum prob has to come out for a visit

Looks like I'm going back to Spectrum for at least a year at their promotional price. I have 4 TVs and think I can get by with one box, cloud DVR + and he silver package add on to get ESPNU, as well as HBO (and cancel HBOMax) and Showtime. Have only done streaming in the new house and Mrs. C likes not having cables running up and down the walls.

I've been told I need at least one box to get the full cable lineup, but with that can stream from all other tvs. Last question is if I can stream from all four, connect the box to cable that comes in for my broadband and NOT connect it to a tv.

Stay tuned...

These online streaming services are starting to raise their prices well into the 60 dollars per month now. What is the difference between getting Hulu or Fubu when compared to the Choice package from Direct TV? They are about the same price and you don't have to deal with buffering crap?

I had spectrum and will go back to it when I get a chance. I just don’t have the time to take off work to be home to install whatever needs to be done. I moved so if I was in my old house I would just pick up a new box but previous home owners had a dish so spectrum prob has to come out for a visit
spectrum has been doing self install since covid they only come out after you try to install yourself

I must be the non-norm around here when it comes to streaming services. I have YTTV. I have been able to watch every Cuse game either on YTTV or through ESPN app. I also live in Texas so that may be part of it. I pay $59 a month and added a $10 a month sports package to get NFL Channel Red Zone plus a bunch of Fox sports channels. I also use American Express to pay for the bill. AMEX gives me $20 dollars a month credit for streaming services. So while my bill is $70 a month, i only pay $50. That is way lower than any Directv bill i had over a 12 year period. I have found that there are most other things in my house that will buffer way before my YTTV has ever had to. The streaming really does not need that much internet to be able to stay smooth.

I must be the non-norm around here when it comes to streaming services. I have YTTV. I have been able to watch every Cuse game either on YTTV or through ESPN app. I also live in Texas so that may be part of it. I pay $59 a month and added a $10 a month sports package to get NFL Channel Red Zone plus a bunch of Fox sports channels. I also use American Express to pay for the bill. AMEX gives me $20 dollars a month credit for streaming services. So while my bill is $70 a month, i only pay $50. That is way lower than any Directv bill i had over a 12 year period. I have found that there are most other things in my house that will buffer way before my YTTV has ever had to. The streaming really does not need that much internet to be able to stay smooth.

In Upstate NY the RSN is YES. YES and FoxSportsLA were the two RSNs not included in the temporary deal YouTube made with Sinclair.

YouTube TV was far superior to Hulu IMO in terms of the interface and DVR functionality. And now, the price is the same. Keep it as long as you can!

In Upstate NY the RSN is YES. YES and FoxSportsLA were the two RSNs not included in the temporary deal YouTube made with Sinclair.

YouTube TV was far superior to Hulu IMO in terms of the interface and DVR functionality. And now, the price is the same. Keep it as long as you can!
I second that YouTube TV is probably the best of the streaming services. I had Hulu and Sling and keep going back to YouTube TV.

The only drawback(an important one) is not getting the YES network any longer for local games. ACC switch to SNY and we’ll be all set!

Boston lost NESN which is the ACC RSN...

From this article following the YouTubeTV drop of Sinclair stations:

"While we are disappointed that YouTube will discontinue carriage of the RSNs, we remain in discussions in an effort to find a mutually acceptable path to returning the RSNs to YouTube TV."

It sounds like Sinclair wants more money. The streaming services are going to have bump their rates a bit or allow customer to select their desired content to control their prices. For some of us, this could get ugly...

AT&T Now may encounter the same issue, though they might be spared due to their DirecTV offering.

Our local cable provider (Comcast) doesn't carry the ACC Network.

We really don't want to go back to DirecTV and contracts...

AT&T TV doesn't have the same issue ... I have it and love it.

spectrum has been doing self install since covid they only come out after you try to install yourself

I have internet with Spectrum and they came out to my new place the day I moved. That was almost the last day in August.

Whoa, didn’t know America express did that. I’ll have to look in to that.

Whoa, didn’t know America express did that. I’ll have to look in to that.
If you ever want to look for deals with these changing times go visit thepointsguy(dot)com. They do all the research for you, you just have to look around their site. Most companies have things like that, that you have to sign up for and they dont tell you they offer it.

Can you still get those giant dishes like in the 80s/ early 90s? Then I could watch everything, including my Browns games.

Can you still get those giant dishes like in the 80s/ early 90s? Then I could watch everything, including my Browns games.

LOL. If I recall, it would take a few minutes to change channels if the channel was coming from another satellite and you could actually see the dish slowly moving?

Best thing I never did...install one of those dishes in my house in California in 1989. I was starting to do the research and then I found a sports bar that opened kinda early for me. I usually missed the first 1/3rd of the game for noon kickoffs.

Spectrum is over-priced and their Internet is garbage.
Sling is good but their limit of 1 'orange' stream caused issues when my son and I both want to watch sports at the same time. Also you need an antennae for locals.
Hulu has the worst app interface, doesn't carry the Comedy Central/MTV package(also includes VH1 and others), just lost local channel 9 and then lost RSN's, then raised their rate by $10, i said buh-bye.
ATT TV Now seems to be one of the best all-around right now although it is a tad pricier at $80 however that comes with HBO/Max as well.

At one point I was paying over $200 month for cable/internet with spectrum due to the number of TVs in my house(5 people). DirectTV wasn't much better with all the extra equipment. I made the decision to drop Spectrum and their completely horse's arse internet. Instead I bought the fastest Internet FIOS offers, 1 GB. Some of you are probably getting 50mb, maybe 100mb from Spectrum? I got 1000mb baby. Once you have that infrastructure, streaming TV is the way to go. I almost never have buffering issues. I used to have more interference with Spectrum or DirectTV than I do now. Sure I still pay $180/month but I can have any number of TVs, my internet is 20x better than it used to be, and I can literally switch TV providers in 10 min by signing up on the webpage and downloading the app.

{snip}

I'm keeping YoutubeTV for now. I think Sinclair will sort itself out over the next few months.
If they don't, they may have to sell off the RSNs at a big loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.