Rumor mill | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

Not at all. FieldTurf, AstroTurf and any other turf can be rolled up and re-laid very easily. All of the rubber pellets are inserted after the install.

So SU has to pay the turf contractor to remove the field during all the heavy construction and reinstall it afterwards.

We'll never get this done for under $250 million now. ;)

Dream would be for a new stadium next to Destiny. Think that would be incredible, close enough for campus and room for parking and the mall. It would be an event, Syracuse is an event city.

I don't buy it. And, yes, we played 1 or 2 "home" games at Schollkopf Field during the '79 season. I went to at least one game at Cornell, as well as one at Rich Stadium.

I like that effete material in Minneapolis too.
In my memory bank, BC at Schollkopff bad shoes, bad bowl, SU kept slip slideing away

I know this is all rumor and speculation at this juncture but I would love to know how this potential renovation would effect attendance for basketball games? Unlike most other P5 programs, our basketball program generates a larger share of its revenue than the football program does. Would this renovation provide better court position to allow for a greater attendance and game environment? Would their be additional bleachers/seating added? If the seating is going to be changed (bye-bye aluminum benches & hello stadium seating), how would this affect attendance numbers?

Most importantly, and im shocked im the first to bring it up on this thread... what happens to the urinal troughs!!! :eat popcorn:

I like the idea of a retractable roof, but I hate the idea of playing all home games at the Ralph. Why can't the team take a tour of New York State. One game in Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, New York City. Heak, you could do a game at West Point and even one at Ft. Drum (if they have the facilities)

Dream would be for a new stadium next to Destiny. Think that would be incredible, close enough for campus and room for parking and the mall. It would be an event, Syracuse is an event city.
Obviously not "on campus" but there's a lot to like about the Inner Harbor location for a new stadium (if they decide to build new). I know, I know... this topic has been covered many times but...

Imagine the ease of access/egress (81, 690, Thruway, side streets, even via boat!!). Tucked in nicely between Armory/Hanover Square/Salina St. and Destiny bars, restaurants and shops. Several hotels nearby with more on the way. Plenty of adjacent parking for tailgating, etc.. Highly visible coming into town from the airport. The list of positives is lengthy.

Imagine.

Obviously not "on campus" but there's a lot to like about the Inner Harbor location for a new stadium (if they decide to build new). I know, I know... this topic has been covered many times but...

Imagine the ease of access/egress (81, 690, Thruway, side streets, even via boat!!). Tucked in nicely between Armory/Hanover Square/Salina St. and Destiny bars, restaurants and shops. Several hotels nearby with more on the way. Plenty of adjacent parking for tailgating, etc.. Highly visible coming into town from the airport. The list of positives is lengthy.

Imagine.
Creekwalk, baseball park - it would be incredible to have it there

Imagine.
Other than being off campus, the only other negative I can think of is the thought of Robert Congel rubbing his hands together with dollar signs in his eyes when it is announced. I still love this location though.
gollum_395_394-300x300.jpg

Most importantly, and im shocked im the first to bring it up on this thread... what happens to the urinal troughs!!!

I have consulted the highest authority and he predicts one of the following possibilities for the world-famous Carrier Dome pee troughs:

1. They will be upgraded to a more modern look as opposed to the present configuration. (Think shiny chrome with LED rope lighting under the lip of the trough.). Receptacles at an appropriate height above the troughs will allow you to quick charge a variety of smart phones while emptying your bladder.

2. They will be replaced with conventional toilets with a sign above each one that states "Make sure you lift the seat before you pee!" An alarm with a strobing light will go off if moisture is detected on the seat, plus a security camera will take a photo of the offender which will be posted on a "Wall of Shame" adjacent to Club44.

3. The present pee troughs will be removed and will be recycled by ESF students who will convert the troughs into tailgate grilling stations which will be distributed to all SU-owned parking lots. (You'll have to bring your own charcoal or propane for the dual- fuel hybrid units. A limited few will will be solar powered as well.)

Other than being off campus, the only other negative I can think of is the thought of Robert Congel rubbing his hands together with dollar signs in his eyes when it is announced. I still love this location though.

doesn't he own most of that vacant land on the west side of Court St.?

Such a ground hogs day quality to this stuff.

Just my opinion, I'll make the same post I've made before but a configurable stadium like Stade Pierre Mauroy in Lille France or Friends Arena in Stockholm in the inner harbor would be the best solution for this community.

12 month indoor/outdoor for use by SU for football, basketball, lacrosse, Crunch hockey, indoor soccer, concerts, other events or conventions.

Don't know if a stadium can even be built there but if it could you already have a ton of parking and room to add more even after the stadium footprint.

Have AEG own/run it they have a big portfolio of multi-use facilities that they manage. They also are a content provider.

I for one am hoping Syverud is savvy enough to get us out from under the "Carrier" name across the new/reno'd Dome. There is too much money at stake going forward to not figure out a way to sell naming rights. Carrier can get right of first refusal

Field turf can be removed and put back in place but you don't roll it up, comes in tray like sections.
Field turf CAN be installed in tray like sections. That is not the case at the Dome however as all the sections are stitched together. Removing it would be unlikely at this point as all the sections would have to be cut and then reattached if that's even possible.

As an alum from far away, I'd be very bummed if they built an off campus stadium. (But my $$ doesn't talk given that I can't make many games.) The on campus experience - walking to to the Dome - was a big draw to me when I came east from California. But times change as do funding opportunities, I guess.

Field turf CAN be installed in tray like sections. That is not the case at the Dome however as all the sections are stitched together. Removing it would be unlikely at this point as all the sections would have to be cut and then reattached if that's even possible.

So to implement a drainage system under the turf are you saying that they'd need to cut up the existing turf? Would it be salvageable to reinstall, or would they need new turf?