Rumor mill | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

Build starts after the basketball season. All home games next year will be played at Ralph Wilson.

I've said it before. I believe you will see a fixed roof of EFTE material similar to the new Vikings stadium, which requires a much lighter structure to support it, even with snow load.
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/New-Vikings-Stadium-QA-The-Clear-Roof/dff31d45-bc82-41ec-
b768-2ef03827bbe7

http://www.startribune.com/no-6-new-vikings-stadium-big-bold-and-glassy/207314401/

Stadium-interior.jpg

I have always been intrigued by EFTE every time it's mentioned. But, I have never seen it mentioned in connection with the Dome renovations. I'm guessing it is cost prohibitive, or just not practical.

Would any architects or engineers here care to comment about the feasibility and cost of using it for the Dome?

It's not a rumor and just maybe all you negative guys should get on board and support the university cause they know what they are doing. Did we need a dome in 1980, no but look what that has done for the university. You are going to see a flat roof that retracts a new concourse with shops around the perimeter. Also your going to see state of the art led lighting. I don't really care if you guys think it's a rumor cause it's not. Go big or go home should always be university's moto

That sounds very....definitive. I am NOT calling you out here, but I am curious as to how you can be so certain about the renovations. Can you tell us anything more??

If this transpires, Shafer will be back next year..and maybe another year.

No way they bring in a new coach under these circumstances.

I doubt it. Budget wouldn't allow it. We found out in 79 it doesn't work

Just put some freakin Air Conditioning in and I'll be happy
well if the change they roof no matter what,the HVAC system will have to change with it. Your wish might come true,but the chillers will be very huge to do it

I might run into the buildings trade president today I will try to find out what direction they are leading to. I just got done working up there replacing a few boilers in a building and nothing was settled or even been really discussd about it for bids.

All I keep hearing that it will be a big project no matter what at this point.

But this Chancellor is a master of keeping secrets with just a very few trusted aides. His hiring of Coyle was super slick and totally behind closed doors. Even the People in the H.R. Dept. heard of the new hire the day it came out in the news. Slick it was

Last edited:
That sounds very...definitive. I am NOT calling you out here, but I am curious as to how you can be so certain about the renovations. Can you tell us anything more??
I can't tell you how I know but there are blueprints done and companies have been hired some local some from out of state. I can say the the main firm that was hired is out of Texas. I'm actually shocked it's taken this long for the "rumor" to come out on here. I have spoken to a few people on here through messages about it. It's happening and it's going to be a pretty incredible structure when it's done. It should do what the dome did for us in the 80s and 90s and put us back on the map. We should all be proud that the university is taking such a big step in upgrading the dome.

I have always been intrigued by EFTE every time it's mentioned. But, I have never seen it mentioned in connection with the Dome renovations. I'm guessing it is cost prohibitive, or just not practical.

Would any architects or engineers here care to comment about the feasibility and cost of using it for the Dome?

I'm not an engineer, but a Vikings fan who has followed the planning and construction of the new stadium. I just think this is a very strong possibility if they want a fixed roof on the existing Carrier Dome.

If they are really going to do it, the smartest thing to do would be to spread around the home games to different venues in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
Buffalo
Metlife
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Foxboro

Then load up the road schedule and collect as much in appearance fees as possible.

It's not a rumor and just maybe all you negative guys should get on board and support the university cause they know what they are doing. Did we need a dome in 1980, no but look what that has done for the university. You are going to see a flat roof that retracts a new concourse with shops around the perimeter. Also your going to see state of the art led lighting. I don't really care if you guys think it's a rumor cause it's not. Go big or go home should always be university's moto

I hope you do not mean a truly flat roof in CNY, because snow would bring it down the first year we had a moderate snowfall. I am not against any of this, but I do want some realism and attention to economics and conditions in CNY.
Another thing to consider would be changing the ventilation(add A/C?), the current ventilation is predicated on the fans that support the dome itself, this would need to be completely changed in any other roof proposal. Snow is kept under control on the current roof by blowing heated air between the inner and outer roof skin. How would this be done using a proposed ETFE roof? Biggest danger to any roof in CNY is excessive snow loading, this is especially true to a roof such as is required for the dome.
All things are possible, but costs become a real concern after a while.

I can't tell you how I know but there are blueprints done and companies have been hired some local some from out of state. I can say the the main firm that was hired is out of Texas. I'm actually shocked it's taken this long for the "rumor" to come out on here. I have spoken to a few people on here through messages about it. It's happening and it's going to be a pretty incredible structure when it's done. It should do what the dome did for us in the 80s and 90s and put us back on the map. We should all be proud that the university is taking such a big step in upgrading the dome.

Thanks brother. Appreciate the reply. This would be GREAT if it happens.

If this rumor is true and i have heard nothing count me in!! This will put us on the map big time and would provide us with the best set up on the east coast for both sports and of course Lax. Wow lets hope that this is true

They will play at Ralph Wilson because it's the only stadium that will hold the minimum amount needed for the acc. My guess is they will only sell the lower bowl seats.

Cusefan78 said:

Relax with the "negative" nonsense. What most people are saying is that the cost of a retractable roof might be excessive given the number of times it'd be opened (for football maybe 2-3 times/year, maybe for a couple concerts in the summer). If SU wants to blow money on it they are welcome to, but it doesn't seem like the smartest allocation of resources. I could certainly be convinced otherwise if there is data to support it.

I'm not an engineer, but a Vikings fan who has followed the planning and construction of the new stadium. I just think this is a very strong possibility if they want a fixed roof on the existing Carrier Dome.

Thanks man. I know that you have commented on this before and I was aware that you are a Vikings fan. The subtle clue in your avatar gave it away - but, I am really clever like that. That stadium should be spectacular when they finish. Enjoy!

probably right as the stadium is big. if we do better than expected this year it may help attendance. scheduling all away games is silly imho, UNLESS THE PAYDAY FOR THAT IS SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT. DIDN'T WE PLAY 1-2 GAMES AT CORNELL WHEN THE DOME WAS BEING BUILT???FRANKLIN FIELD MAYBE
All games were played elsewhere during dome construction.

Relax with the "negative" nonsense. What most people are saying is that the cost of a retractable roof might be excessive given the number of times it'd be opened (for football maybe 2-3 times/year, maybe for a couple concerts in the summer). If SU wants to blow money on it they are welcome to, but it doesn't seem like the smartest allocation of resources. I could certainly be convinced otherwise if there is data to support it.
Let's be honest a flat roofed dome Doesn't have a wow factor that a retractable roof gives su. Think about it this was. During the space race did we have to go to the moon, no but we did and that put us as a world leader and showed the world we can do anything. If Syracuse just tosses up a flat roof you're pretty much saying we are not going to go the extra mile. I don't care about data Syracuse needs to be an innovator and replace the dome with an upgrade. Will it be used often I think more the you think. Think lax games and football. Also think about the possible use of the stadium during the spring and summer for other events that could generate income for the university. Right now it sits idle during that period.

Let's be honest a flat roofed dome Doesn't have a wow factor that a retractable roof gives su. Think about it this was. During the space race did we have to go to the moon, no but we did and that put us as a world leader and showed the world we can do anything. If Syracuse just tosses up a flat roof you're pretty much saying we are not going to go the extra mile. I don't care about data Syracuse needs to be an innovator and replace the dome with an upgrade. Will it be used often I think more the you think. Think lax games and football. Also think about the possible use of the stadium during the spring and summer for other events that could generate income for the university. Right now it sits idle during that period.

Most LAX games are played in February and March. I can think of maybe 2-3 games over the past 3 seasons where it was nice enough outside.

And NYS just spent $50 million for a new Amphitheater in Syracuse which is expected to host 20 concerts a year.

Most LAX games are played in February and March. I can think of maybe 2-3 games over the past 3 seasons where it was nice enough outside.

And NYS just spent $50 million for a new Amphitheater in Syracuse which is expected to host 20 concerts a year.
Wrong nys spent 50 million in geddes because the powers that be in geddes had the forward thinking to think outside the box and build a really nice theater that will bring in money to their village. Unlike Syracuse who was offered 250 million and said no thanks. Falcone and company in geddes has worked hand in a hand with nys and business to bring in conpanies and the theater. Syracuse needs more people like that.

2 games at Ralph Wilson (Wash St and Miami)
2 games at Meadowlands (PSU and WV)
1 game at Cornell (BC)

Anybody else remember driving to the Cornell game and getting caught up in traffic? That is not an easy place to drive to - the roads leading in to Ithaca couldn't handle to traffic. And parking was atrocious too. I seem to remember getting there just before half time. And then watching a god awful second half.