Rumor mill | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

Why would a private school with budget issues build a state of the art stadium unless it's publically funded? It just doesn't add up.

Why do you think Syracuse has a budget issue. You can't believe everything you read.

Why do you think Syracuse has a budget issue. You can't believe everything you read.

Umm..having worked there in the past, I can tell you everyone I talk to says the same thing about the budget. So, either there is a budget issue, or the admins have done a great job convincing their employees that one exists.

Probably nothing, but there is a rumor going around that an announcement is coming pertaining to the dome renovation. Supposedly all home games next year will be played at the Ralph while a retractable roof is added to the dome. An open roof would have been a blessing Friday night.

Yankee Stadium

Umm..having worked there in the past, I can tell you everyone I talk to says the same thing about the budget. So, either there is a budget issue, or the admins have done a great job convincing their employees that one exists.

I work for a Fortune 250 company that kills it with free cash flow. But, every year, come budget time (right now, actually), you would think the company is going under. They want next year's budgets flat or lower than current year forecasts (which are generally lower than the actual current year budget), and do it with expected merit increases. Then, after budgets are submitted, they want to reduce everything by another 5%. It's a pain in the ass to try to find enough to cover that philosophy. But we do it, and every year, the company's stock goes up, free cash flow goes up and bonuses go up, so it's worth it. Being on the Finance side of things, I see the misunderstanding and misconception between budgets and fiscal health daily. The two are not always linked.

It's not a rumor and just maybe all you negative guys should get on board and support the university cause they know what they are doing. Did we need a dome in 1980, no but look what that has done for the university. You are going to see a flat roof that retracts a new concourse with shops around the perimeter. Also your going to see state of the art led lighting. I don't really care if you guys think it's a rumor cause it's not. Go big or go home should always be university's moto
I am a little late to the party, I have been out of town, but I can confirm that an announcement will be made in the next two weeks.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Wrong nys spent 50 million in geddes because the powers that be in geddes had the forward thinking to think outside the box and build a really nice theater that will bring in money to their village. Unlike Syracuse who was offered 250 million and said no thanks. Falcone and company in geddes has worked hand in a hand with nys and business to bring in conpanies and the theater. Syracuse needs more people like that.
actually the money goes to Onondaga County, the amphitheater is a county facility

Well at least that is what I was told by certain parties that were told by SU administration.

I should amend my statement to say "if CL is saying a statement is being made, then a statement is being made." My original implied that it was specific to a retractable roof...

cornell actually seats over 20K and thats if they dont do anything special like endzone seating or standing room?

I have always been intrigued by EFTE every time it's mentioned. But, I have never seen it mentioned in connection with the Dome renovations. I'm guessing it is cost prohibitive, or just not practical.

Would any architects or engineers here care to comment about the feasibility and cost of using it for the Dome?

The firm that is handling the question of what to do about the Dome is Populous. Their forte...EFTE.

It's been stated in the past that the Dome does not have the infrastructure to support a fixed roof or for that mater a retractable roof with all the additional mechanics.
It doesn't necessarily have to: 1) they could go over the top (with arches, for example); 2) install runners over pillars on each side to support a sliding roof system (Uni-Systems Engineering does this); or 3) use the "fantastic plastic" roof concept. Figuring out what system to use is why we hired Populous.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...rier_dome_roof_options_according_to_repo.html

http://www.isportconnect.com/index....=169:bidding-and-venue-development&Itemid=214

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/06/02/Facilities/Roofs-main.aspx

http://www.hearne.software/getattac...es-Mathcad-in-the-Engineering-and-Constr.aspx

Last edited:
The firm that is handling the question of what to do about the Dome is Populous. Their forte...EFTE.
These folks do stadiums right. Kyle Field is their latest in college football. I think it was announced in February that they were consulting. A good choice by Syverud. It's also a company Mark Coyle will know, as they did a lot of the work at Boise State's athletic complex.

CuseLegacy said:

That was announced last winter but I think many people forgot.

Cusefan78 said:
It's not a rumor and just maybe all you negative guys should get on board and support the university cause they know what they are doing. Did we need a dome in 1980, no but look what that has done for the university. You are going to see a flat roof that retracts a new concourse with shops around the perimeter. Also your going to see state of the art led lighting. I don't really care if you guys think it's a rumor cause it's not. Go big or go home should always be university's moto

This thing sure took off quickly didn't it?

didn't someone post a video of the design of the new Atlanta Braves stadium with a retractable roof? I know I remember seeing it at one point and it was fabulous. I'm off to google to see if I can find it...

edit: it's not the Braves new stadium...what other stadiums are being built right now? Is it the Vikings?