Rumor mill | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

youre_serious_futurama.gif

EDIT: Of course I post this before reading new replies. Still seems ridiculous.

It would be dumb to play any games at the Ralph. I would go with:

at Cornell: Colgate, USF, Louisville, NC St
at Giants Stadium: ND, FSU, VA Tech

You get more people and have more attention playing the big games in NYC. Yankee Stadium could only be used for a November game because of the Yanks and NYCFC, so it will be harder to schedule a game there. Not enough people will care to show up for Colgate, USF, Louisville, or NC St so might as well play it in a 25k stadium. That will also allow us to have a home field advantage. We only have what 18k STHs? They get first dibs to the games in Cornell.

This would ruin a huge potential breakout season for Syracuse next year playing in Buffalo but idk whatever.

Relax with the "negative" nonsense. What most people are saying is that the cost of a retractable roof might be excessive given the number of times it'd be opened (for football maybe 2-3 times/year, maybe for a couple concerts in the summer). If SU wants to blow money on it they are welcome to, but it doesn't seem like the smartest allocation of resources. I could certainly be convinced otherwise if there is data to support it.
Lacrosse, high school football games...yeah that roof would never be open SMH

If you look at every facility with a retractable roof, it's not frequently open. If the costs are the same then sure why not add the extra bells and whistles. However if the RR roof is more (and it probably is) then no need to add that. Use the money for a different area. A wider concourse perhaps.

didn't someone post a video of the design of the new Atlanta Braves stadium with a retractable roof? I know I remember seeing it at one point and it was fabulous. I'm off to google to see if I can find it...

edit: it's not the Braves new stadium...what other stadiums are being built right now? Is it the Vikings?
You may find it's the replacement for the Georgia Dome

If you look at every facility with a retractable roof, it's not frequently open. If the costs are the same then sure why not add the extra bells and whistles. However if the RR roof is more (and it probably is) then no need to add that. Use the money for a different area. A wider concourse perhaps.
There will be a wider concourse with shops lined around the outside.

Better ventilation/AC.

CanadianSU said:
This would ruin a huge potential breakout season for Syracuse next year playing in Buffalo but idk whatever.

Yeah, it will be pretty much a lost season.

Season ticket sales and attendance will drop dramatically.

Only question I got is this stadium going to be publicly or privately fianced?
If we are getting tax dollars then get the best stadium we can. If it's privately financed then don't get everything.

I would agree with KOIII MetLife over Wilson. More alumni in NYC than WNY. Season ticket holders would understand the short term move.

Reliant is always open for football unless bad weather is moving in.

I was only two when the dome was built but I can't image what people said about them adding a dome onto a football stadium back then. Look at it know when people think su they think of the dome. Soon people will associate su as having the only on campus retractable roof and that is worth every penny of the cost.

Probably a dumb question, but if it is EFTE, would it need to be retractable?

Cheers,
Neil

I'd much rather see the other amenities- wider concourses, better food options, club/suite seating for fb and hoops than a retractable roof. That would be better for the long-term financial health of SU Athletics as the IPF lets the Dome have more opportunities for big events, and the other amenities will be more appealing than a roof.

I'd much rather see the other amenities- wider concourses, better food options, club/suite seating for fb and hoops than a retractable roof. That would be better for the long-term financial health of SU Athletics as the IPF lets the Dome have more opportunities for big events, and the other amenities will be more appealing than a roof.

From the sounds of it we are getting all that and a retractable roof.

Only question I got is this stadium going to be publicly or privately fianced?
If we are getting tax dollars then get the best stadium we can. If it's privately financed then don't get everything.

I would agree with KOIII MetLife over Wilson. More alumni in NYC than WNY. Season ticket holders would understand the short term move.
And Buffalo cares not about SU sports.

Capt. Tuttle said:
And Buffalo cares not about SU sports.

It's the nearest legit stadium to Syracuse.

They can't make everyone happy, myself included.

I'm curious as to how this would impact season tix. I'd rather put my season tix on hold for a year than to have to schlep the extra distance and pay for a hotel. I'd rather they do a mix of locales. Buffalo, Ithaca and Met Life similar to what they did in 79. We did go to a bowl game that year as well!

Last edited: