Rutgers attendance...meh | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers attendance...meh

If we win this game, and can beat Tulane, we'll be 5-1 headed into a Friday night BE showdown with WVa (coming off a bye week to prepare and heal-up, and with bowl eligibility on the line).

FWIW last season when I saw you post game at UL I decided to do the pre-game stuff on the quad (partly because Lurker John was totally MIA but that's a different story). Had the band on the steps at Hendricks, the Orange Club tent (think it was dry, don't remember), all sorts of blown up SU stuff all over the place with the crappy SJ logo. A fair amount of people all over and in orange. The hotel had a tailgate, music, pregame show...able to grab a bloody and a breakfast sandwich. It didn't seem that all terrible. Not Alabama or anything but seemed a lot better than the Midget KISS thing they did a few years back.

Marrone seems to detest the idea of a walk through the campus...I totally get that, but as the juice comes back that would be a cool thing to do.

FWIW last season when I saw you post game at UL I decided to do the pre-game stuff on the quad (partly because Lurker John was totally MIA but that's a different story). Had the band on the steps at Hendricks, the Orange Club tent (think it was dry, don't remember), all sorts of blown up SU stuff all over the place with the crappy SJ logo. A fair amount of people all over and in orange. The hotel had a tailgate, music, pregame show...able to grab a bloody and a breakfast sandwich. It didn't seem that all terrible. Not Alabama or anything but seemed a lot better than the Midget KISS thing they did a few years back.

Marrone seems to detest the idea of a walk through the campus...I totally get that, but as the juice comes back that would be a cool thing to do.

Hey, let's not rail against Mini-KISS, what have they ever done to you?

I still have no idea why they were playing Guns & Roses though, and why their lead singer was a normal-sized female.

Not as many as some here who have traveled to some of the SEC venues (which we would never be able to compete with) but I have been to a lot of other college games and away games. SU has one of the worst, if not the worst, game day experiences. It's not just one thing it is the whole package.

People say that, and I'm not disagreeing entirely, but I need specifics about what these *universities* do for the gameday experience.

I've been to a few non-SU venues and most of the "experience" comes from the fans. The tailgating, the traditions, etc. Some schools have their band play a pre-game concert and 10K people show up. SU does the same and we get 100 people. Who's at fault?

Once inside the stadium, again, it's largely on the fans. When half the Big House is jumping up and down singing "Seven Nation Army" that's not the university doing something for the experience, that's the fans being engaged.

If there is one word I would *never* use for our fans, it's engaged.

Sure we play too many commercials. But it's not like 45K people in the Dome couldn't drown them out by chanting over them.

People say that, and I'm not disagreeing entirely, but I need specifics about what these *universities* do for the gameday experience.

I've been to a few non-SU venues and most of the "experience" comes from the fans. The tailgating, the traditions, etc. Some schools have their band play a pre-game concert and 10K people show up. SU does the same and we get 100 people. Who's at fault?

Once inside the stadium, again, it's largely on the fans. When half the Big House is jumping up and down singing "Seven Nation Army" that's not the university doing something for the experience, that's the fans being engaged.

If there is one word I would *never* use for our fans, it's engaged.

Sure we play too many commercials. But it's not like 45K people in the Dome couldn't drown them out by chanting over them.

I was at that game. It was batshit crazy. We've tried to do Michigan-style tailgating on the quad when we come up, but we're the only ones.

This goes here now: (seriously, this was at 8am before a noon game. And we had to wheel the entire setup to the quad from the Sheraton. Embarrassing.)
76808_1451356606450_1309308371_31012358_2224714_n.jpg

For comparison, here's our tailgate at 7:30am for a 3:30 kickoff (and it's 28 degrees).
11564_1143464789347_1309308371_30360686_531674_n.jpg

Because a Friday night game against WVU or USF sells itself.

Anybody with a clue will want to see the game with Cinci.

That's why.

Friday night attendance remains to be seen. Also, assuming the customer base for this product has that clue is not good.

Let me just add Bees...

From 1995-2003 I had a group of 11 season tix with friends. None of us lived within 3 hours of Syracuse. We came up for 4 or 5 of the 6 games each season. We'd tailgate for almost every game. Once a year we had a HUGE tailgate where 50-60 people would show. We made our own "experience" and it was a helluva lot of fun. We were in section 125, corner end zone. We'd lead chants, stand and yell, all that good stuff. We knew the fight song and alma mater, and sang then both. We made it a good time.

I grew up in the 80s being a fan of the Sox, Pats and Celtics. Each of their venues had a ton of atmosphere (less so the Pats!) and it was ALL fan generated. I suspect the Bills were that way during the Kelly years too.

I'm just saying that it's easy, and fun, to rip on the university. And I'd never suggest they haven't made big mistakes over the years. But ultimately, the fans make the experience. SU fans are very nice people, but generally speaking not terribly informed and completely disengaged. I'm generalizing, and it doesn't apply to the 25-30K diehards, of course.

I was at that game. It was batshit crazy. We've tried to do Michigan-style tailgating on the quad when we come up, but we're the only ones.

This goes here now: (seriously, this was at 8am before a noon game. And we had to wheel the entire setup to the quad from the Sheraton. Embarrassing.)

For comparison, here's our tailgate at 7:30am for a 3:30 kickoff (and it's 28 degrees).

CNYers (and most SU alums) simply don't "get" college football. They don't understand what makes it special.

It's a shame, because I think they'd really enjoy it if they could somehow get it.

CNYers (and most SU alums) simply don't "get" college football. They don't understand what makes it special.

It's a shame, because I think they'd really enjoy it if they could somehow get it.

We'll see you guys in New Orleans - I don't understand why anyone would do a pre-game at a restaurant by the Superdome when you could be drinking on Bourbon Street. This seems like the best tailgate idea ever.

I've been to a few non-SU venues and most of the "experience" comes from the fans. The tailgating, the traditions, etc. Some schools have their band play a pre-game concert and 10K people show up. SU does the same and we get 100 people. Who's at fault

Agree. I have been to most of our road games and the stadium experience isn't much different. I thought that ND and Mich had lame crowds. There was nothing going on. I do think SU has too many Ads and too much music but those two were the exact opposite, which IMO is just as bad. But that is the way they like it. They like the purity of just watching a game. While in CNY it is supposed to be about entertainment.

Agree. I have been to most of our road games and the stadium experience isn't much different. I thought that ND and Mich had lame crowds. There was nothing going on. I do think SU has too many Ads and too much music but those two were the exact opposite, which IMO is just as bad. But that is the way they like it. They like the purity of just watching a game. While in CNY it is supposed to be about entertainment.

Who wants to be entertained during the game? I think most would prefer that they PA guy shut up and they stop the commercials. Game day experience isn't about the PA guy and ads, it's the whole package. When I have time I will list a dozen or more things SU does wrong and has done wrong over the years. No 1 thing is a deal breaker, but it's the cumulative effect. Yes, the fans are part of the problem but SU sure doesn't help themselves.

76808_1451356606450_1309308371_31012358_2224714_n.jpg

11564_1143464789347_1309308371_30360686_531674_n.jpg

In the Syracuse photograph you have your back to your tailgate and your friends; in the Michigan photograph you're shooting your tailgate and your friends.

Not saying there's any atmosphere on the Quad four hours before a game, but the photos don't tell us much.

1st best idea - allow tailgates across campus
2nd best idea - live concert pre-game

My view is you have to try something - if you keep doing the same thing over and over and over but expect a different result = definition of corporate insanity!

In the Syracuse photograph you have your back to your tailgate and your friends; in the Michigan photograph you're shooting your tailgate and your friends.

Not saying there's any atmosphere on the Quad four hours before a game, but the photos don't tell us much.

Went with the scenic shot for SU.

Seriously though? Really? I think the pictures tell plenty.

You can see for yourself, go on the quad at 8am this Saturday, and go to Ann Arbor. Best experienced in-person anyway.

I'm with you 100%. I can't wait for the days when people are trying to get everyone to go to the Rutgers game because the Rutgers game is the worst game on the schedule. That is when the world of SU Football will back in the right place.

Rutgers a big game is ridiculous.

44cuse

I'm with you 100%. I can't wait for the days when people are trying to get everyone to go to the Rutgers game because the Rutgers game is the worst game on the schedule. That is when the world of SU Football will back in the right place.

44cuse

I hope we never plays these clowns ever again.

Went with the scenic shot for SU.

Seriously though? Really? I think the pictures tell plenty.

You can see for yourself, go on the quad at 8am this Saturday, and go to Ann Arbor. Best experienced in-person anyway.

Haven't been to Ann Arbor, but I sure won't dispute that the tailgating there is beyond compare. Just pointing out that one shot was of you and your crew and the other was away from you and your crew.

The Quad is usually pretty fun on gamedays - maybe a thousand people up there - but, as you've noted, it's not an early-arriving bunch. And with the weather tomorrow, it'll probably look a lot like your Louisville shot from last year.

Tents are up, though, and some of us will be there in the rain tomorrow. Not at 8:00 a.m., I'm afraid, but eventually.

44cuse
It's big because when is the last time we had a damn good chance at getting to 5-1, a decade ago?

It's not the opponent - it's the fact that we have a halfway decent football team busting their assesses week in and week out only to play in front of 30k.

It's big because Marrone has stated countless times that the empty seats in the Dome are hurting with recruits.

44cuse

Our teams coaches and players think differently...not to mention we will continue to recuit head to head for many kids going forward. To say this game isn't very important to both programs is laughable.

Our teams coaches and players think differently...not to mention we will continue to recuit head to head for many kids going forward. Its not a huge game on our schedule either but to say this game isn't important to both programs is laughable.

Exactly, while it isn't going to decide the league title (atleast most years it won't), the fact that it is the BE opener, and a main recruiting "rival" would always make it a big game. And thats without mentioning the culture clash between these two fanbases, very urban/suburban vs. mostly ruralites.

Our teams coaches and players think differently...not to mention we will continue to recuit head to head for many kids going forward. To say this game isn't very important to both programs is laughable.

Very true for this year, not so much in the future. I think your big recruiting battles will be against Buffalo and UMass.

Beware the Minutemen, they'll get ya'.

Very true for this year, not so much in the future. I think your big recruiting battles will be against Buffalo and UMass.

Beware the Minutemen, they'll get ya'.

I am pretty confident that we will wind up in one of the super conferences over the next few years as more shuffling goes on.

Rest assured you will have your hands full when recruiting against us for many years to come regardless of which of the Big 10, ACC, or merger of Big 12 we ultimately wind up in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom