Rutgers game is huge | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers game is huge

We know Schiano will negatively recruit Syracuse.

That becomes a lot more difficult if we stomp his program.
Dino needs to play our strengths. Play old school. When we beat teams in big games we do it with a frenzy generated by the D. Nebraska and Clemson were driven by great D. Our D is going to be very good this year. Let White who is our best coach take them down. Old school wins this one.

Dino needs to play our strengths. Play old school. When we beat teams in big games we do it with a frenzy generated by the D. Nebraska and Clemson were driven by great D. Our D is going to be very good this year. Let White who is our best coach take them down. Old school wins this one.
Rutgers ain’t exactly Nebraska and Clemson...

Rutgers ain’t exactly Nebraska and Clemson...
We won 1 game last year. We aren't the SU teams that beat Nebraska or Clemson either. This game as far as im concerned is more important than any game on our schedule next year. I hope the school does everything possible to pack the Dome.

Hope we just care of Ohio first
You bet. Frank runs a great program and they will be pumped. Again we need to play to our strengths. D is always ahead of O. Especially in early games. Dont get cute. Run the ball. Take shots when there. Field position and D. Play some Doug ball.

You bet. Frank runs a great program and they will be pumped. Again we need to play to our strengths. D is always ahead of O. Especially in early games. Dont get cute. Run the ball. Take shots when there. Field position and D. Play some Doug ball.

I think we'll see the running game look like it did at the end of 2019. We ran for at least 200+ yards against Duke/Lville/WF I think. We've got a great back in Tucker who looks poised for a big season and good depth behind him in Howard/Adams/Lutz. Just need some better blocking and a little more creativity from Gilbert.

We won 1 game last year. We aren't the SU teams that beat Nebraska or Clemson either. This game as far as im concerned is more important than any game on our schedule next year. I hope the school does everything possible to pack the Dome.
We weren’t all that good when we beat Nebraska or Clemson either.

I agree, we need to beat Rutgers.

I predict we do. In front of like 30,000. And nobody will remember the game years from now.

I think in all of Dino’s 5-6 top 25 wins we scored >30 except Clemson where we ‘only’ scored 27.

Vs team like Rutgers, I think we need to score >35 AND keep them <25 if we are remotely who we think we could be (solid 7-8 win year).

It’s not an either or situation. We need to create havoc on defense and generate a few turnovers >2, we need to limit their big plays in the air and on the ground, we need to hold on to the football and we need to score 5 touchdowns (one way or another). If we make most (not all) of those things happen then we have a solid win.

EDIT: also 10 out of our 13 ACC wins were >30 points on offense also. BC, Pitt and Clemson at 28,27,27 were the only three that didn‘t quite get there.

Last edited:
We know Schiano will negatively recruit Syracuse.

That becomes a lot more difficult if we stomp his program.
Unfortunately, Schiano is killing it on the recruiting trail. This was always the worry with having him back at Rutgers. He can sell the program and the NJ coaches, for the most part, believe in him. The last time I checked, they already had four 4 stars committed for 22, including a QB.

To your point, beating Rutgers will help SU and is way better than the alternative. But, Schiano is going to continue to bring in talent and I doubt he worries much about recruiting against SU. Not yet anyway.

Unfortunately, Schiano is killing it on the recruiting trail. This was always the worry with having him back at Rutgers. He can sell the program and the NJ coaches, for the most part, believe in him. The last time I checked, they already had four 4 stars committed for 22, including a QB.

To your point, beating Rutgers will help SU and is way better than the alternative. But, Schiano is going to continue to bring in talent and I doubt he worries much about recruiting against SU. Not yet anyway.

Schiano has all the Big 10 schools in his backyard to worry about.

My hope is that Schiano can't ramp up that quickly. Even with recent recruiting successes. Freshman FB players aren't as plug and play as freshman BB players.
We need this game. When 2 mediocre programs meet, the loser really takes a hit.

There’s probably going to be 100 recruits at the Rutgers game lol

Rutgers has had "great success" on the recruiting trail in the last several years. They have enjoyed better rated classes which has not translated in to on-field success. They have a rater who automatically makes a recruit a 4-star if offered by Rutgers. Don't stress over their recruits unless you see tOSU, UM, PSU and MSU offering the same kids, in which case, the kid is likely switching soon, anyway.

I’d use the word “currently” when evaluating RU’s class. They have a habit of losing some of their better previously committed players.
Honestly, we only play them once, so Schiano’s recruiting “prowess” won’t impact SU too much.

Rutgers has had "great success" on the recruiting trail in the last several years. They have enjoyed better rated classes which has not translated in to on-field success. They have a rater who automatically makes a recruit a 4-star if offered by Rutgers. Don't stress over their recruits unless you see tOSU, UM, PSU and MSU offering the same kids, in which case, the kid is likely switching soon, anyway.

Ah yes, the vaunted "better rated" Rutgers recruiting classes of the past few years (via 247 team composite)

2016: Syracuse 62, Rutgers 64
2017: Rutgers 42, Syracuse 54
2018: Syracuse 51, Rutgers 56
2019: Syracuse 57, Rutgers 65
2020: Syracuse 58, Rutgers 61

This is an important game for both programs. A win by SU sends a solid message to Jersey recruits. The Dome needs to be rocking. We need this one.
finally!!!

the best recruiting historically, occurred under schiano's watch. worst of which he shut us out of nj. he has a good coaching staff and they recruit jersey well. i have not checked but they probably get some from nyc/li and philadelphia as well. right now they are rated 7th best class nationally. that will probably change albeit somewhat.----IF we can, we need to beat them BIG.

It really isn't. It's big because it's a winnable game but different conferences and Schiano will do better in NJ because that is where he located and he will always do what he does. Schiano will make Rutgers respectable but that will be about it. ( 5-7 wins a year) His track record speaks for itself.

If Syracuse plan for success is pulling a bunch of talent out of NJ and out recruiting Schiano and a bunch of other B10 programs there well good luck. It's way overfished by everyone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom