Ryder Cup 2018 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ryder Cup 2018

The US still has a decent shot (I would say around 20%). There have been a few comebacks around this gap in the last 20 years. That being said I am pretty happy with my bet on Europe at +135 prior to the Ryder Cup.

To have any chance the US needs Thomas and Woods win and those other 3 matches hold on in the first 5.
Also Furyk how the hell does Finau sit yesterday afternoon.

Can't talk about the second session with Dechambeau, In his first 2 matches, Tiger played just average but could have won at least a point if his partner Reed was at least playing decently.

Reed would have had a hard time making a cut on a WebCom tour event with the way he was playing. His biggest ambition this week entering the event was taunting the fans, and his game quickly spiraled out of control. Is that a team player?

Friday morning was just the opposite. Reed played OK but tiger was all over the place. Should have left speith and reed together and put tiger with Thomas.

To have any chance the US needs Thomas and Woods win and those other 3 matches hold on in the first 5.
Also Furyk how the hell does Finau sit yesterday afternoon.

Finau and Thomas have been our two best and most consistent it seems.

10.5 to 9.5, but the live odds given the current margins is still 18-1 to tie, and 50-1 to win outright. Seems like good value longshot bets. High enough for me to hedge my Euro win bet and great odds.

It's over.

Can we get a committee to figure out how to disband the committee?

Ultimately it came down to the Wildcards. Many thought the Euro's were riding past success a little too much in making their selections.

Euro's went with the proven veterans who were not playing well when selected.
Americans selected wildcards who were all in really good form (except arguably Mickelson).

And prior Ryder Cup form ending up being way more important than recent form.

USA (2-10)
Woods 0-4
Mickelson 0-2
Dechambeau 0-3
Finau 2-1

Europe (10-4)
Stenson 3-0
Garcia 3-1
Casey 2-1
Poulter 2-2

By no means am I blasting Furyk for his picks. They were the right picks to make. And they just did not perform.

Last edited:
1538330366108.png

It's over.

Can we get a committee to figure out how to disband the committee?

I think the US just overthinks this thing over and over. It does no benefit to the team. It just creates pressure. In the interviews all the players liked Furyk because he gave them input into the decisions. FFS guys just go to the course, practice it, and think about play golf - the captains shouldn't be stressing the entire team about this. By focusing on player input and the importance of pairings, it tells the players that they are not good enough to win on their own. Its totally ass backwards when your team has more talent.

I doubt the Euro's strategize combos anything like the Americans do. This year they put the course in their favour and the guys go out and play.

It's quite possible that Europe players have more passion for this. A committee that strategizes selections and how to pair, is not going to overcome that.

I think a captain that goes over there and build confidence in the players that they are clearly better, and tells them it makes abosultely no difference how I pair you will have much more success. Of course it matters a bit, and the captains can take care of it, but when the players start questioning the pairings they are really just questioning themselves. That is the atmosphere that has been created with all these committees and full on player input.

I agree with him and said the same. They were the most successful US pair ever I believe in the Ryder cup and did the same in the presidents cup. What stirred it all up was speith wanting to play with his buddy Thomas.
Thomas and Speith went 3-1 so I think it was the only good decision by Furyk.
Reed wasn’t in good form coming into this Ryder Cup.
He can rip Furyk for some of his selections but Speith is off limits.
It’s clear Thomas and Speith get along and they showed they were a good pairing no need to rip Speith.
If Speith/Thomas went 1-3 okay.

Thomas and Speith went 3-1 so I think it was the only good decision by Furyk.
Reed wasn’t in good form coming into this Ryder Cup.
He can rip Furyk for some of his selections but Speith is off limits.
It’s clear Thomas and Speith get along and they showed they were a good pairing no need to rip Speith.
If Speith/Thomas went 1-3 okay.

Speith and Thomas did very well together. But decisions have ripple effects.

reed let this Captain America thing go to his head a bit. He's had good success in the RC but it isn't as if he has played in 5 of them. He was bad but I think Tiger was a bad partner for him because Reed needs the spotlight and attention to let loose and Tiger gets that by...well being Tiger. I would have put Reed with Mickelson and let those two either spray it all over or get some electricity for the US side.

I would have put Tiger with Phil ... on a plane back to the US.

Anonymous Ryder Cup member: Reed full of it

"He would have shot 83 on his own ball Saturday,'' the Team USA member said to the Post. "He totally screwed Tiger. He has no clue how to play team golf. I saw firsthand how bad of a team player he was. Eleven players understood the concept of team golf and only one didn't. Unfortunately, that one proved to be too costly for the team to overcome."

"He would have shot 83 on his own ball Saturday,'' the Team USA member said to the Post. "He totally screwed Tiger. He has no clue how to play team golf. I saw firsthand how bad of a team player he was. Eleven players understood the concept of team golf and only one didn't. Unfortunately, that one proved to be too costly for the team to overcome."

That’s sour grapes. I watched all but 45 mins of the thing and Friday morning was almost the opposite of Saturday. If reed had no clue about team golf I find it hard to believe he was the best in 2 Ryder cups and a presidents cup.

Things like this doesn’t help the image either.

Report: Johnson, Koepka separated during altercation after Ryder Cup

The problem I have with this is that I keep picturing Mickelson as the anonymous source, and he has ulterior motives. Though I suppose it could have been Spieth, Thomas, or Fowler speaking in retaliation for Reed's comments from the day before.

It's not Tiger, unless he speaks about himself in the 3rd person. I be shocked if Webb or Finau would get involved in the fray, and Watson would be strange b/c he's a poor team golfer himself. Dechambeau I could see because he is brash, but after the 0-3 performance he'd be best to shut up. And Koepka and Johnson were too busy fighting each other and hate the media too much to comment.

The problem I have with this is that I keep picturing Mickelson as the anonymous source, and he has ulterior motives. Though I suppose it could have been Spieth, Thomas, or Fowler speaking in retaliation for Reed's comments from the day before.

It's not Tiger, unless he speaks about himself in the 3rd person. I be shocked if Webb or Finau would get involved in the fray, and Watson would be strange b/c he's a poor team golfer himself. Dechambeau I could see because he is brash, but after the 0-3 performance he'd be best to shut up. And Koepka and Johnson were too busy fighting each other and hate the media too much to comment.

bees' post above doesn't present an inaccurate scenario, although something was certainly out of sync somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom