Said it before about Dungey... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Said it before about Dungey...

I'm not taking sides in this but...Wilson's completion % for his 3 years at NCST was 57.8% based on an average of 393 attempts/yr

In his one year at Wisconsin it was 72.8% with 309 attempts.
Right. What would Dungey' stats be if he got to start at Oklahoma? About the same i believe.

Never meant to put words in your mouth or imply that your post was negative. Actually, just the opposite. I know you'd understand the point I was attempting to make without taking it personal.
You’re exactly right. Not personal at all.

Just sensitive to all the criticism that I think Dungey gets for this “arm talent” so I wanted to make certain my post wasn’t taken that way.

I think a healthy Dungey, like you say, has much better accuracy and arm strength than many believe. Maybe not elite, but certainly good enough, particularly when combined with his “intangibles”

Hill is certainly a step quicker, but I disagree that there’s no comparison at all. The point was that he’ll have to make noise as a situational type player.
A step quicker try day and night not even close speed wise

I agree about his ft. When he is set and not leaning back he can throw well. When he isn’t set he throws a bit weak.
Which could be said for almost all QB's not named John Elway.

A step quicker try day and night not even close speed wise
Day and night might be a touch of an exaggeration. And if ED was back down to 220, I’d bet the gap would narrow. If anything I’d say that Hills quickness and decisiveness in his cut and burst are the biggest difference.

Regardless, my point remains. I think Eric’s role would need to be similar, hence the comparison.

I'm not sold on the lack of accuracy argument either...especially when you compare to other college careers.

ED is a career 61.4% passer. Here are some college career stats for perspective.

Phillip Rivers...63.6%
Peyton Manning...62.5%
Tom Brady...61.9%
Eric Dungy...61.4%
Drew Brees...61.1%
Eli Manning...60.8%
Ryan Nassib...60.3%
Taysom Hill...58.2%
Josh Allen...56.2%

^^^ Interesting no one has responded to this post. Pretty much all QBs come into the league with flaws but the list above is a who's who of QB talents who from an accuracy standpoint was no better than ED.
When all is said and done, even NFL GMs get QB assessments wrong,. ED will hopefully get a chance, here is hoping it works out.

^^^ Interesting no one has responded to this post. Pretty much all QBs come into the league with flaws but the list above is a who's who of QB talents who from an accuracy standpoint was no better than ED.
When all is said and done, even NFL GMs get QB assessments wrong,. ED will hopefully get a chance, here is hoping it works out.
Yep...facts can be difficult especially when they don't fit a given narrative. But hey...who am I to question the experts on here ;-)

I also think that he played with an injury this year that affected his throwing. There were a number of games that he was holding his arm and was in pain as he came off the field. The biggest question, much like McNabb when he graduated, was will his style and propensity to run as much as pass, shorten his career with injuries.

Agree. I think he got banged up in the first game against WMU but a lot of people preferred to think Dino was just being an idiot taking him out of the game.

Agree. I think he got banged up in the first game against WMU but a lot of people preferred to think Dino was just being an idiot taking him out of the game.
Rumor is a labrum injury.

I said at the time, that Dino was willing to take the heat rather than divulge that ED got banged-up. Just my opinion and yet another reason why I have so much respect for what HCDB is building here.

Here
Day and night might be a touch of an exaggeration. And if ED was back down to 220, I’d bet the gap would narrow. If anything I’d say that Hills quickness and decisiveness in his cut and burst are the biggest difference.

Regardless, my point remains. I think Eric’s role would need to be similar, hence the comparison.
sorry but 4.7 to 4.4 is day and night speed wise . Can’t argue facts . He has size and great intangibles I think he deserves a shot but it’s up to the scouts not us . Btw Lamar Jackson stinks as a passer it’s a joke move him to wr

sorry but 4.7 to 4.4 is day and night speed wise . Can’t argue facts . He has size and great intangibles I think he deserves a shot but it’s up to the scouts not us . Btw Lamar Jackson stinks as a passer it’s a joke move him to wr
Ok.

Yep...facts can be difficult especially when they don't fit a given narrative. But hey...who am I to question the experts on here ;-)

What facts and what narrative?

Taysom Hill. He’s going to have to utilize his skills in multiple areas to make a go in the NFL. He isn’t and never will be a prototypical QB at that level. But he CAN do a lot of things that help football teams.

As far as making reads, I liken it to David Carr. By the time he was ready to make that jump he was shell shocked by the lack of protection earlier in his career, he’s a bit skittish. It’s worked for him at the college level because he’s a magnificent creator.

It’s why I believe he can be a situational guy in the NFL. It only takes one guy to fall in love with him like New Orleans.

He’s a special talent. But not always do special talents translate situationally. I’m excited to see what happens with whatever opportunities he may get.
It’s funny, I had never heard of Hill until I watched New Orleans play this year. When I saw him my first thought was, holy crap he reminds me off Dungey.

I said at the time, that Dino was willing to take the heat rather than divulge that ED got banged-up. Just my opinion and yet another reason why I have so much respect for what HCDB is building here.

Dino certainly does not come off as one of the typical insecure and defensive head coaches.

Makes sense. He made a couple of throws against FSU that looked like Dave Dravecky and he clearly was hurt.

Last edited:
Makes sense. He made a couple of throws against FSU that looked like Dave Dravecky and he clearly was hurt.
Ouch. Nice Dave Dravecky reference. What a horrible thing that was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom