Said it before about Dungey... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Said it before about Dungey...

He is Doug flutie with 6 more inches.

Not the strongest arm, not the most accurate, not the fastest but is an ultimate playmaker and leader who seems to play best when stage is biggest

Hill is certainly a step quicker, but I disagree that there’s no comparison at all. The point was that he’ll have to make noise as a situational type player.
As much as I would love to see Dungey translate to a Tay Hill at the next level, just don't see it. Watching Eric run, I thought to myself, how the hell does he do it? He looks slower than many other qbs even at the college level. Especially even more slower this year with his bulk muscle added into his frame. Maybe Eric gets a chance to be a emergency 3rd qb/ backup rb,te/special teams player? But, is there a spot like that with each roster spot being so precious these days...

SOME NFL Gm's are good at analyzing talent. The smart ones will see a college QB who had to run the ball or there would have been no effective running game. And that's what Dino saw as well. What you have to extrapolate is how much better his passing game would be if he didn't have to be the running game. I think that improves his stats considerably. The intangibles he brings to an organization are off the charts: Super high intelligence, unyielding competitiveness and will to win, and a highly likable and articulate media face of the team. He will get a chance, no doubt.

Hill runs a 4.4 40 !!!!! No comparison at all .
ED was a fun Qb very unique can’t really compare him to anyone .
Never compared Eric to Taysom, just said if ED was to ever be on a 53 man roster it wouldn’t be as a full time under center quarterback it would have to be a Taysom Hill type situation, and I’m not even sure if that’s obtainable if I’m being honest. Just think that’s his only chance.

Honestly, I don't know if he can make it as a QB. Can't miss draft picks are gone in 2 years and late picks become the arguably the best ever (Brady) . So you don't know and neither do I.

He is Doug flutie with 6 more inches.

Not the strongest arm, not the most accurate, not the fastest but is an ultimate playmaker and leader who seems to play best when stage is biggest
I'm not sold on the lack of accuracy argument either...especially when you compare to other college careers.

ED is a career 61.4% passer. Here are some college career stats for perspective.

Phillip Rivers...63.6%
Peyton Manning...62.5%
Tom Brady.....61.9%
Eric Dungy.....61.4%
Drew Brees....61.1%
Eli Manning...60.8%
Ryan Nassib...60.3%
Donovan McNabb...58.4%
Taysom Hill....58.2%
Josh Allen.....56.2%

Last edited:
Never compared Eric to Taysom, just said if ED was to ever be on a 53 man roster it wouldn’t be as a full time under center quarterback it would have to be a Taysom Hill type situation, and I’m not even sure if that’s obtainable if I’m being honest. Just think that’s his only chance.
Never...NEVER...say never. It might not age well.

I'm not sold on the lack of accuracy argument either...especially when you compare to other college careers.

ED is a career 61.4% passer. Here are some college career stats for perspective.

Phillip Rivers...63.6%
Peyton Manning...62.5%
Tom Brady...61.9%
Eric Dungy...61.4%
Drew Brees...61.1%
Eli Manning...60.8%
Ryan Nassib...60.3%
Taysom Hill...58.2%
Josh Allen...56.2%
Oh I agree with you. You did a bit of putting words in my mouth if you read my post again.

I didn’t say NOT accurate, Weak arm, slow. I am just pointing out that he is not well above average/elite at any particular skill. For example accuracy I would put >65% as very good/elite. Most NFL QBs are very good/elite at at least one of those skills (arm strength, accuracy, speed)

I think Eric has GOOD accuracy, arm strength, mobility but usually those things together do not make an NFL QB. But, I think when you combine those with his 6’4” frame, leadership skills and ability to elevate performance when things get “big” then you have a cocktail where GOOD accuracy, arm strength, mobility may get you a shot in the NFL.

Dungey is more like Russell Wilson than any other current NFL QB.

SOME NFL Gm's are good at analyzing talent. The smart ones will see a college QB who had to run the ball or there would have been no effective running game. And that's what Dino saw as well. What you have to extrapolate is how much better his passing game would be if he didn't have to be the running game. I think that improves his stats considerably. The intangibles he brings to an organization are off the charts: Super high intelligence, unyielding competitiveness and will to win, and a highly likable and articulate media face of the team. He will get a chance, no doubt.

Very good points about "intangibles." I highly doubt ED gets drafted based on QB talent; the NFL will not extrapolate his numbers, they will use tape, Pro day workout, and the Combine (if he gets invited). If he gets a shot it will be because of the intangibles you mentioned.

I have no doubt that he will get a FA tryout. As SU fans know, don't bet against Eric if he gets a shot.

Oh I agree with you. You did a bit of putting words in my mouth if you read my post again.

I didn’t say NOT accurate, Weak arm, slow. I am just pointing out that he is not well above average/elite at any particular skill. For example accuracy I would put >65% as very good/elite.

I think Eric has GOOD accuracy, arm strength, mobility but usually those things together do not make an NFL QB. But, I think when you combine those with his 6’4” frame, leadership skills and ability to elevate performance when things get “big” then you have a cocktail where GOOD accuracy, arm strength, mobility may get you a shot in the NFL.
Never meant to put words in your mouth or imply that your post was negative. Actually, just the opposite. I know you'd understand the point I was attempting to make without taking it personal.

Very good points about "intangibles." I highly doubt ED gets drafted based on QB talent; the NFL will not extrapolate his numbers, they will use tape, Pro day workout, and the Combine (if he gets invited). If he gets a shot it will be because of the intangibles you mentioned.

I have no doubt that he will get a FA tryout. As SU fans know, don't bet against Eric if he gets a shot.
Just curious...what numbers don't extrapolate?

He is also injury prone and was a concussion away from possibly never playing again. I worry for his health in the NFL,
Take a guess how many clinically diagnosed concussions ED has sustained?

Just curious...what numbers don't extrapolate?

The use of the term "extrapolate" was in direct response to CousCuse belief that the NFL will extrapolate ED's numbers to somehow show that his passing numbers would be much higher if he wasn't the primary running option.

The use of the term "extrapolate" was in direct response to CousCuse belief that the NFL will extrapolate ED's numbers to somehow show that his passing numbers would be much higher if he wasn't the primary running option.
Ya...that'd be really tough to prove. Thanks.

Reactions: 007
Dungey is more like Russell Wilson than any other current NFL QB.

The Russell Wilson who set the single season FBS record for passing efficiency and has the second highest NFL career passer rating of all time behind Aaron Rodgers? That Russell Wilson?

All I think about that is, put a back like Etienne in the Syracuse backfield with Dungey and then see what he stats are like. It's not a crazy jump of logic to think that if a QB doesn't get pounded and winded from running, that he would throw the ball more effectively. And if a defense had to put more resources to stopping a real effective runner, the QB has time to look downfield and the receivers will be less covered because of the necessity of stopping the run and often tackling him in the secondary after he breaks containment. For the most part until latter in the season when Moe emerged, the only guy forcing that was Dungey.

The Russell Wilson who set the single season FBS record passing efficiency and is the and has the second highest NFL career passer rating of all time behind Aaron Rodgers? That Russell Wilson?
Yes, that's the man. Wisconsin could actually run the ball down your throat. And Beast Mode, well you get the point. You think Russel would have put those stats up at SU over the last couple of years ?

Yes, that's the man. Wisconsin could actually run the ball down your throat. And Beast Mode, well you get the point. You think Russel would have put those stats up at SU over the last couple of years ?
I'm not taking sides in this but...Wilson's completion % for his 3 years at NCST was 57.8% based on an average of 393 attempts/yr

In his one year at Wisconsin it was 72.8% with 309 attempts.

Phillip Rivers...63.6%
Peyton Manning...62.5%
Tom Brady...61.9%
Eric Dungy...61.4%
Drew Brees...61.1%
Eli Manning...60.8%
Ryan Nassib...60.3%
Taysom Hill...58.2%
Josh Allen...56.2%

I also think that he played with an injury this year that affected his throwing. There were a number of games that he was holding his arm and was in pain as he came off the field. The biggest question, much like McNabb when he graduated, was will his style and propensity to run as much as pass, shorten his career with injuries.

He also threw some ducks but, IMO, when his footwork is in sync, he has more than enough arm to make all the throws.

When he sits and delivers he has above average velocity. I honestly believe that this myth about arm strength will be dispelled at Pro-day or when he works out for scouts at SU.
I agree about his ft. When he is set and not leaning back he can throw well. When he isn’t set he throws a bit weak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom