"Saint Weirdo" -Dion Waiters | Syracusefan.com

"Saint Weirdo" -Dion Waiters

That is a really good article, I love the fact that even though he hasn't been the top dog he still is well regarded by their fans and I respect that.

Any article that can link Dion Waiters to Rosemary's Baby and Charles Manson and try to make a case for him being a Saint is a good one in my book. Was kind of hoping he end up with the Sixers.

Happy for him that he is out of that situation in Cleveland. The kid deserves better.
Which is almost an odd thing to say, I think. If you told a random fan two years ago that the Cavs would have Lebron, Love, and Irving and struggled to win games because of Dion Waiters ... the mind bottles.

All Dion wants is to win ... there are much worse traits out there in professional athletes.

Which is almost an odd thing to say, I think. If you told a random fan two years ago that the Cavs would have Lebron, Love, and Irving and struggled to win games because of Dion Waiters ... the mind bottles.

All Dion wants is to win ... there are much worse traits out there in professional athletes.

Couldn't agree more.

Dion wasn't the problem. That team is poorly constructed, even with all that talent, and the Head Coach is a joke. Really hope Dion makes an impact in OKC. Cleveland needs a bunch of 3 and D guys, not an alpha male who wants to take over games.

Dion wasn't the problem.
From what I've read, some Cav's fans and the media try to make him out as the problem - which is what's funny to me. How can they blame the 6th man (and a good one at that)?

Strange that the Cavs, after James announced he was going back, was supposed to be the perfect place for Waiters.

Strange that the Cavs, after James announced he was going back, was supposed to be the perfect place for Waiters.
He goes from ball dominant Kyrie and Lebron to ball dominant Westbrook and KD. Going to be real interesting to see how that works out. Sounds like Presti has been eyeing Dion for a while so they definitely have a plan for him.

I think it speaks highly of Dion that another championship contender is the team who picked him up, not some bottom feeder where he can start and pad his numbers. He still might be a bit of a headcase, but his talent is there to be seen.

I dunno, I have to say, i don't think much of Dion as a player. Though I love the vines of him always asking for the ball.
Certainly seems like OKC sees something in him though.

I dunno, I have to say, i don't think much of Dion as a player. Though I love the vines of him always asking for the ball.
Ive watched enough Cleveland games to know he isn't the problem with that team. He has his off/pouty games but he also shows his big time talent enough to know that he can be a difference maker.

Ive watched enough Cleveland games to know he isn't the problem with that team. He has his off/pouty games but he also shows his big time talent enough to know that he can be a difference maker.

I'm not saying he is the only problem with the team, but he's also shooting 42% for his career and he's not exactly all world on defense.

I'm not saying he is the only problem with the team, but he's also shooting 42% for his career and he's not exactly all world on defense.
I've actually been impressed with his defense at times. Honestly, he looks like the 2nd best perimeter defender on his former team after Lebron. There were times Blatt left him out there for his defense. If he could hit the 3 ball at an ok clip, he would jump into the next stratosphere of player, I think that is what OKC is betting on.

I've actually been impressed with his defense at times. Honestly, he looks like the 2nd best perimeter defender on his former team after Lebron. There were times Blatt left him out there for his defense. If he could hit the 3 ball at an ok clip, he would jump into the next stratosphere of player, I think that is what OKC is betting on.

That's an indictment of the rest of the team more than anything else.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I don't think Dion is ever going to be much more than he is right now. He might score a lot of points if he goes to a bad team that gives him shots but I don't think he'll ever be a good player.

That's an indictment of the rest of the team more than anything else.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I don't think Dion is ever going to be much more than he is right now. He might score a lot of points if he goes to a bad team that gives him shots but I don't think he'll ever be a good player.
I think he needs to develop a consistent 3 ball to reach that level on a good team. Good teams have established stars who dominate the ball, unfortunately that's the exact strength of Dion. Until he develops a consistent 3 ball he will struggle to mesh on good teams and continue to have the pattern of 1 great game, 2 bad games..

The one thing Dion did this year was play good D. He knew that was his ticket to playing. He was the best perimeter defender on the Cav's after Lebron. Cleveland was a horrible fit for Dion. Kyrie, Lebron, and Love all need the ball, and deserve the ball before him.

Last year he was 37% from three, which is pretty good. This year he has struggled, his role has changed. OKC is going to put him in a similar role as they had Harden off the bench. When Westbrook and KD are resting he is going to be the main guy and the main pick and roll ball handler, and overall the third option for them.

This is a great move for Dions career IMO.

If GM James doesn't like the direction of the team at the end of the year Coach Blatt will be the next to go.

I don't agree with Knicks either on this point ... I think Dion has a ton of talent -- he can handle, take contact, get to the rim at will, hit the outside jumper and I like his defense. I haven't watched every Cavs game this year. But in the 2 or 3 complete games I've seen, he was the best player on the floor. At OKC, sure Durrant will want the ball. But I don't think Westbrook is as ball-hungry as Kyrie .. so Dion should fit in there and make teams pay for scheming Durrant and Westbrook.

Last edited:
If GM James doesn't like the direction of the team at the end of the year Coach Blatt will be the next to go.
He's got swag for sure. But have you watched him play? Twice this year I've seen him come in and take over games -- where neither Kyrie nor Bron was able to get anything going. Think about that. Would you be confident?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom