Saturday is for all the marbles | Syracusefan.com

Saturday is for all the marbles

RF2044

Living Legend
I don't want to sound melodramatic, and I think that the term "must win" gets overused in sports -- but Saturday is about as close to a must win as it gets for winning the conference.

It doesn't really matter whether Virginia loses tonight to Miami or not. Sure, that would be great. But if they beat us on Saturday, they'll still be ahead of us in the standings. Obviously, anything can happen any given night, but let's just assume that they'll win every other game on their remaining schedule.

If we win, we tie them in the standings and have the head to head tie breaker.

Need to get it done, need to win the ACC regular season title.

If we lose on Saturday, its not the end of the world, but our path to a #1 seed gets tougher. In addition to winning out in the regular season, IMO we'd need to win two games in the ACC tournament to guarantee a #1 seed. Not impossible by any means, but the road gets tougher if we stub our toe on Saturday.

So given that, there's only one thing left to do--win the whole !@#$ thing...

Let's Go Orange!!!

I don't want to sound melodramatic, and I think that the term "must win" gets overused in sports -- but Saturday is about as close to a must win as it gets for winning the conference.

It doesn't really matter whether Virginia loses tonight to Miami or not. Sure, that would be great. But if they beat us on Saturday, they'll still be ahead of us in the standings. Obviously, anything can happen any given night, but let's just assume that they'll win every other game on their remaining schedule.

If we win, we tie them in the standings and have the head to head tie breaker.

Need to get it done, need to win the ACC regular season title.

If we lose on Saturday, its not the end of the world, but our path to a #1 seed gets tougher. In addition to winning out in the regular season, IMO we'd need to win two games in the ACC tournament to guarantee a #1 seed. Not impossible by any means, but the road gets tougher if we stub our toe on Saturday.

So given that, there's only one thing left to do--win the whole !@#$ thing...

Let's Go Orange!!!

Absolutely agree 100% which is why we need to root like hell for Okie State over Kansas this week and for someone to please beat Wichita State. You cant look at # of losses when looking at seeds. Kansas has played the #1 schedule in the country and will jump us if we stub our toe and they win out through the conference tournament. Win the next 3 and its a moot point.

In my mind we already own the ACC.

WAvYlNN.png

Absolutely agree 100% which is why we need to root like hell for Okie State over Kansas this week and for someone to please beat Wichita State. You cant look at # of losses when looking at seeds. Kansas has played the #1 schedule in the country and will jump us if we stub our toe and they win out through the conference tournament. Win the next 3 and its a moot point.
Kansas ain't running the table.

Kansas ain't running the table.

They have left Okie St, TT and Huggy Bear.

Unless they get picked off in the Big 12 tourney they are most certainly running the table. I have stopped betting against a Self team prior to the NCAA's.

This game is all about offense for us. Put the ball in the hoop and we win the game going away (I know thats a captain obvious comment). Virginia can starve on offense like we can for stretches so its imperative that we play well offensively and dont have these 5-6 minute scoring droughts that we have had.

Considering the unbalanced schedules I don't really think there is a regular season title. I would rather win the ACC tournament to be honest.

I would too but it's probably easier to win these last 3 games than the ACCT even though 2 of 'em are on the road.
The benefit of not getting UVA at home is that the reg. season title only exists if we win it imo. I'm only half joking.

This game is all about offense for us. Put the ball in the hoop and we win the game going away (I know thats a captain obvious comment). Virginia can starve on offense like we can for stretches so its imperative that we play well offensively and dont have these 5-6 minute scoring droughts that we have had.

Yep. No question. A 6-8 point lead for either team in this one could be insurmountable.

captain-obvious-5-nobrain1.jpg

Huge afternoon down there.

Game for the regular season title in basketball and a suddenly desperate Lax team looking at an almost have to have the fourth game of the season on the road.

Can we get a twofer on the campus in the same afternoon?

Big stakes all around.

On FS1 last night on their college basketball wrap up their "expert"analyst Austin Croshere (played at Providence then NBA) gave his #1 seeds as of now...and had Kansas #1 in the east with the others being Florida, Zona, and Wichita St. I don't agree of course but you now hear some of the media backing off Cuse after just 2 loses (that BC loss is so damaging). It will get much more widespread if we lose to UVA.

The best part of this game is all of the pressure is on Virginia. Front page of ESPN.com is an article on Virginia and how they are the team to beat now. Good...keep it that way.

Love to be wrong but I see 3 possible outcomes in this game, and Cuse winning "going way" is not one of them. This may be the biggest regular season game for UVA in a few decades and with UVA's strong defense and methodical style, combined with fact that given the past 6-7 games, even "putting the ball in the hoop" can only reasonably be expected to add up to 60-65 points, I dont see any scenario where Cuse wins easily. Maybe if Cooney goes like 6-10 from 3, but thats the only way.

Beat Virginia at Virginia and MSG is a lock . . . but it is not a must win and it is not for all the marbles

the marbles are to be found in Dallas; anything SU collects before that is nice but, for this squad, neither necessary nor sufficient.

I think I saw on one of the websites Kansas has played the toughest schedule according to the RPI in the last 30 years or something.

if grant is close to 100% i think we win by 10. after the year theyve had theyre not gonna let virginia steal the acc from them. we'll rise to the challenge

An absolutely huge game. The boys will be ready. I have no doubts that the team will come out with that extra sparkle in their eye play hard and execute. IMO if our guards can knock down their 3's we win going away. If not, it's going to be a nail biter. Let's hope Cooney gets hot. He's due, and my heart is due for an easy win. Jerami's back is a huge concern because he is our matchup nightmare for opposing teams. When he's in beast mode we become practically unbeatable. Need Baye to keep cleaning the glass like he has been. (Love how strong his hands have gotten on rebounds, receiving passes not so much.) And Rak! Stay out of foul trouble!!!!! Etan Thomas is jealous of your Fouls per Minute numbers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom