Saturday is for all the marbles | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Saturday is for all the marbles

I think the score may be in the 60s for this game because neither team will bleed the clock.

That's what these teams do. Slow it down, lol. Especially UVA. Syracuse gets virtually nothing in transition this year so they slow it down especially with the depth issues.

Winning the regular season will be recognized in the committees eyes and will go a long way to us getting a #1 seed.

More so than winning the ACC Tournament. We win the conference, we only need one win in the Tournment for a 1 seed. Otherwise the road gets very very hard.

I think the score may be in the 60s for this game because neither team will bleed the clock.

I'll do jumping jacks if the score makes it to the 60s.

More so than winning the ACC Tournament. We win the conference, we only need one win in the Tournment for a 1 seed. Otherwise the road gets very very hard.

I have a question (I seriously don't know the answer even after following CBB for years and years). Why is a #1 seed so coveted over a #2 seed? I mean, I get that it is supposed to bring us an easier 1st round game but as a 1 or 2 you are supposed to have a pretty easy time with a 16 or a 15 right? Is there really that much of a difference? Or is it just bragging rights? Personally I'd rather be a 2 seed than risk the possibility of being the first #1 to lose to a 16...

I have a question (I seriously don't know the answer even after following CBB for years and years). Why is a #1 seed so coveted over a #2 seed? I mean, I get that it is supposed to bring us an easier 1st round game but as a 1 or 2 you are supposed to have a pretty easy time with a 16 or a 15 right? Is there really that much of a difference? Or is it just bragging rights? Personally I'd rather be a 2 seed than risk the possibility of being the first #1 to lose to a 16...
A couple of reasons. First if SU is a 1 seed this year, it would put us in the East, at Buff, then MSG. That's huge.
Secondly, yes both first round matchups should be wins for a 1 and a 2. But a 2 has stumbled a lot more than the 1's. And the second game in the first weekend is where a good payoff comes in. The 1 seed generally gets a much easier game, the 8/9 winner, than the 2 seed.

IMO the opportunity the one seed provides in Buff/MSG, and the easier route past the first weekend, plus the prestige of being a 1 seed, far outweigh the downside of possible embarrassment of being the first one seed to lose to a 16.

Can't play that way (16 over 1). If a team has that attitude then they won't go far.

1 vs 2: when it gets down to it is the difference between playing #3 or #4 in the sweet 16 (assuming those seeds win out)

That's what these teams do. Slow it down, lol. Especially UVA. Syracuse gets virtually nothing in transition this year so they slow it down especially with the depth issues.
I agree that both of these teams have had other teams bleed the clock against them. I question whether they choose to do it to each other on Saturday. I know that the 2 best games we have played this year (Duke and Nova at home) were at a faster pace

Dude while I am not a fan of WVU anti-ACC pro-BigXII jihadists that team has been playing really well recently and they are most certainly on the bubble for the NCAA Tournament. Plus, Kansas has to travel to Morgantown which isn't exactly the easiest venue to win a game in. I don't think your realize how close West Virginia is too the bubble and along with Oklahoma State both need the Kansas scalp on their resume for their at-large chances. Kansas is playing for a 1 seed, but they barely beat Texas Tech in Lubbock like we did @ Maryland. I don't think Kansas cares about the 1 seed as much as they care about being healthy. I think KU could lose both games on the road, but I think they will end up splitting those games unless Self sits Embiid for both which is unlikely.
Do any of the talking heads have WVU on their bubble watch? I only checked a couple of lists and didn't see them mentioned. I think they can play their way onto the bubble, but I don't think they're there and it will likely take a Big12 championship game appearance, along with winning out.

It's not for all the marbles: I plan to hold some back to feed my Methylophaga.

index.php
WRAP_Kelly_Fig_2_MSQ5.TIF

Can't play that way (16 over 1). If a team has that attitude then they won't go far.

1 vs 2: when it gets down to it is the difference between playing #3 or #4 in the sweet 16 (assuming those seeds win out)
exactly . . . with all due credit to last year's SU team, four seeds are usually flawed in key ways; three seeds might actually be two seeds in disguise

exactly . . . with all due credit to last year's SU team, four seeds are usually flawed in key ways; three seeds might actually be two seeds in disguise
It's all a crapshoot. Just about any seed can be up or down one level. The '06 SU team was a 7/8 seed disguised as a 5 and ATM was a 8/9 seed disguised as a 12.

A couple of reasons. First if SU is a 1 seed this year, it would put us in the East, at Buff, then MSG. That's huge.

Thanks Sgt.. Never really understood the selection process much, but this helps. So we would not be sent to Buff as a 2 because as the strongest 2 we would probably be placed in the South region with Florida in Orlando. Right? I'm embarrassed I'm so ignorant about this process, never giving it much thought just tuning in on selection Sunday to see where we're going... :confused:

Thanks Sgt.. Never really understood the selection process much, but this helps. So we would not be sent to Buff as a 2 because as the strongest 2 we would probably be placed in the South region with Florida in Orlando. Right? I'm embarrassed I'm so ignorant about this process, never giving it much thought just tuning in on selection Sunday to see where we're going... :confused:
rstone - that's how I see it. If we get the one seed, the way things look this year, it almost guarantees the East, Buff/MSG. But if we drop down to a 2, our odds of getting shipped out increase dramatically. Because if the top dog in the East becomes Duke or longshot VA, then we can't be placed in with them.

But as things stand, if we were the strongest 2, I don't think we would play FL, I view them as the strongest 1, we would probably go to the weakest one seed, maybe against Witchita or something like that. Going to Orlando to play Florida would stink.

As to your point about being the first to lose disincentive, I kind of felt it wasn't worth it two years ago. We didn't seem to get much by being the 1 then over being a 2, not as much as we stand to gain this year.

Even if we are a two seed, we will still be in Buffalo. The top four seeds are protected.

Lunardi has Duke as a 2 seed and playing Georgia St - in Raleigh... That's a shocker!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom